Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This morning I finally got a chance (meaning I forced myself to read just enough of the manual) to run the calibration YPAO thing again with a working display so I could see what was going on. Previously the xo was set to 40Hz and the sub's polarity was reversed. That's where Jeff had left it. The auto set up doesn't decide which way it should be and it was EQ'ed according to that.

I changed the xo to 80Hz and set the phase/polarity to Normal. I'll check the phase later with some test sweeps from either the Avia II or DVE disks. The BR-1s don't like being crossed below 80 Hz based on what I was able to figure out after listening to a variety of much more expensive speakers. Also I turned the subs' Carver Model C-500 amp down to half way from full blast before running YPAO. Now that the subs are doing more work I am getting more out of them and now that they are at 50% I have room to give 'em some gas whenever I feel like it.

Beyond blaring parts of Lady Marmalade a couple of times with the amp at 50% and at 100% I haven't listened to stuff I know (Dire Straits/Wall Flowers). I need to find out when the lady downstairs is going out so that I can let 'er rip. The couple upstairs can just deal with it. They let their grand kids run up there when they visit so all I can say is that I hope they feel like listening to music when the lady downstairs is out. I'll set up my SPL meter to see if I can hit Warp 9.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't you win those BR-1s some time ago? What subs are we talking about again?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Didn't you win those BR-1s some time ago? What subs are we talking about again?
No, I paid for these. :D

Gene's folks had won them and didn't need them so Gene sold them to me for his folks.

The subs are DIY jobs with drivers that were given to me and cabinets made from reclaimed wood. TLS provided me with the alignment and GO-NAD! provided me with a constant critique of how I was building them. :D :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
By the time you get those BR-1s dialed in, you'll be ready to replace them ;).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
By the time you get those BR-1s dialed in, you'll be ready to replace them ;).
I was ready to replace them before they were dialed in.

Seriously, I am finding that the differences with bass management and the differences with EQ'ing are subtle things. The BR-1's mostly sound the way they sound. Sure, raising the xo point eliminates a little raggedy characteristic when they are pushed but for me to notice that took an afternoon of listening to speakers costing from 1k-5.3k with one stupid song. This is like the never ending hobby.

Once I replace them I might like to get them measured before and after that DM modded xo just for fun. We'll see.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Seriously, I am finding that the differences with bass management and the differences with EQ'ing are subtle things. The BR-1's mostly sound the way they sound. Sure, raising the xo point eliminates a little raggedy characteristic when they are pushed but for me to notice that took an afternoon of listening to speakers costing from 1k-5.3k with one stupid song. This is like the never ending hobby.
You've made the leap to understanding that good sounding speakers are all about a smooth midrange, no peaks or dips. That's what we hear the best, and that's the range where most music is. People fixate on bass, but it's really not the extremes that matter, it's the middle.
Once I replace them I might like to get them measured before and after that DM modded xo just for fun. We'll see.
Why spend any more money on them if you're nearly done with them? You won't improve their re-sale value.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Why spend any more money on them if you're nearly done with them? You won't improve their re-sale value.
I have a disease. :D

The parts are $42/side @ PE. So for ~$100 I could play for probably 3 or 4 days spread out across a month or two. That's a lot of entertainment value for me and an opportunity to learn some stuff. These would probably end up in a box until I found a barter/bribe deal to use them in. It goes without saying that first I would need to have a hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket. The time I would find pretty quick if I turned my computer off.

Oh, I just got the wording of the question as it pertains to space/time ...
after, I would do this after I got the MB27's. ;)

... if I did it at all but they would make for a better gift that way. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just pour some concrete in the cabinets and sell them to Jerry. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't remember if I heard - did Jerry ever get those speakers? If so, does he like them?
LOL !!! well, when you disappear for a year at a clip you're gonna miss some stuff now aintcha? :D

He got them. He said the xo needed more tweaking in one area but overall I think he likes them. I expect they sound great based on hearing a couple of Chris' other systems. Here's a link to some pic's in Jerry's profile.

Here's the pic that tells the tail of the xo glitch. That album is public. I know you know how to access it for the complete pic's I have of that deal. Feel free to browse.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In case you'd like a larger and less pixilated copy of that photo on your desktop just do a google image search of "Blown Away".

Oddly enough the image link you provided doesn't show up in the post but it does in the quote for the response but now that my computer blew up and I had to reformat it, I did as you suggested and found that particular image. Having recently learned to use 'Paint' a little I blocked out the text on the image and use it for my desktop wallpaper. I put all the shortcuts into folders under 'Favorites' and 'Bookmarks' so it's super clean looking and just plain crisp.

Thanks. :)

M

mjcmt

Audioholic

Instead of an equipment rack I bought a battery operated Makita compound miter slide saw.

I haven't read all the pages of postings so maybe it is done, but you could use your nice Makita compound miter saw to build a nice equipment rack, instead of using that old phone table and tool box.:rolleyes:

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't read all the pages of postings so maybe it is done, but you could use your nice Makita compound miter saw to build a nice equipment rack, instead of using that old phone table and tool box.:rolleyes:
That there phone table has history and if the tool case were to be replaced with a new rack where will he keep the tool case, it looks right at home there :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Disarray? Dude, you clean better for pictures to post on AH than I do for real company. Heck, it looks like you dusted. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis