Loudspeakers that Missed the Public Ear Thread

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure how much they were or were not admired by the community at large but I loved my Energy Audyssey A3+2's. I found them to be a great blend between the more popular DefTech's raw power and the pricier Mirage OM series. Not much in the looks department but the had solid construction and components. The "asymmetrical" bipolar designs sound stage just worked for me.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
These are some Design Acoustics speakers. http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x226/rickster71/
The PS-103's (3-way on casters) is my actual speaker. I've had them for over 22 years.
I've refoamed the woofers and replaced the electrolytic caps.

Had Markw over for a multi speaker comparison last week; and these still sound very good.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They look interesting.

A division of Audio Technica, also intriguing.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I know the Carver ALs are fairly renowned, does anyone here have experience listening to the Amazing Loudspeaker?

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
How about the Warfdale Z200?
MPN ZALDEK2000
Nominal Power 20 Watt RMS
Connectivity Cable
Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 200 Watt
Frequency Reponse 30 Hz - 23000 kHz
Sensitivity 91 dB
Impedance 6 ohm
Components
Woofer Material Polymer Composite
Woofer Size 8" x 2
Top loaded horn
Design
Outdoor/Indoor Indoor
Mounting Floorstanding
Exterior Color Black • Blue • Silver
Dimensions
Width 9 in.
Depth 13 in.
Height 39 in.
The complete HT set with sub sold at CC when they discontinued it for 350.00
These speakers were discontinued in the US but are still avaliable in Europe. Used for disco venues as they could take whatever you threw at them but they were a real sleeper for HT and do not take a lot of power to drive, beleive me I have a set.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How about the Warfdale Z200?
MPN ZALDEK2000
Nominal Power 20 Watt RMS
Connectivity Cable
Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 200 Watt
Frequency Reponse 30 Hz - 23000 kHz
Sensitivity 91 dB
Impedance 6 ohm
Components
Woofer Material Polymer Composite
Woofer Size 8" x 2
Top loaded horn
Design
Outdoor/Indoor Indoor
Mounting Floorstanding
Exterior Color Black • Blue • Silver
Dimensions
Width 9 in.
Depth 13 in.
Height 39 in.
The complete HT set with sub sold at CC when they discontinued it for 350.00
These speakers were discontinued in the US but are still avaliable in Europe. Used for disco venues as they could take whatever you threw at them but they were a real sleeper for HT and do not take a lot of power to drive, beleive me I have a set.:)
I now defunct department store called Ames used to sell those before they went out of business. I remember wanting to buy them, but not having any money put a real damper on the whole situation.

Also, it's the Wharfedale Z-2000, not Warfdale Z-200.;)

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I love seeing AR speakers get their due on this thread. I have a full AR Phantom series in my master bedroom system. The Phantoms came out in 2000 and were only 3.5" thick they accomplished this by using car speaker design technology and placing the thick magnets of the woofer on the hollow empty space on the front side of the speaker. So by doing this, they could keep the thick magnets and have a full range sound with a thinner cabinet.

Here are my Phantom 8.1 mains (with one 8" woofer in each) and my Phantom 6.2 center (with dual 6" woofers in MTM arrangement)

And the rear Phantom 8.1 as side surrounds and Phantom 6.1 back surrounds (above bed)

Unlike other flat speakers, these were able to achieve very low bass frequencies (down to 60hz) so they could easily blend in with my sub for full range sound in my small bedroom (12X13) without being imposing and since they hang flat they were easily hung with two picture screws on each speaker.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
The other great speakers that I love for music only are the AV123 Strata Minis with their four way design (built in 8" subwoofer in rear) and 4" mid range, magnaplan tweeter and ultra high tweeter. Just incredible for music. I use em in my guest room office system. I use em strictly for music (actually listening to Michael Buble while typing this) while my GF uses em while watching her soaps or playing her Gamelounge. :confused:

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
Another set of AR speakers that sadly did not get the same amount of recognition as their pears of the time. I present the MGC-1 and MGC-2 also called the Magic Speakers.
MGC-1

Specs:
Two 8" Acoustic Suspension Woofers
Two 4" Acoustic Suspension Mid ranges (in their own separate enclosures naturally)
One Dual Dome Driver Unit (The same used on the AR9LS and LSi line) 1.5" Tweeter and one 3/4" super tweeter.
as well as a 6" Acoustic Suspension Woofer (again in a separate enclosure) and 1" Dome tweeter for the "Delayed Ambiance System"

Specs Continued:
25 watt min
250 watt max
4 ohms
Weight: 150lb
Dimensions 52" H X 26" W X 16" D

Their was also an amplifier made specifically for the "Delayed Ambiance System" called the MGC-1e

Specs:
100 watts per-channel RMS into 4 ohms
THD less than .5% at 1000hz 10db below clipping
Weight: 22lb

No pics sorry:(

The MGC-2 the MGC-1's little brother

Specs:
One 12" Acoustic Suspension Woofer (the now famous AR11)
Two 4" Acoustic Suspension Mid ranges (again in separate enclosures)
One 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
with a 6" Acoustic Suspension Woofer in a separate enclose on the "Delayed Ambiance System"
25 watt min
200 watt max
4 ohms
Weight 100 pounds
Dimensions 44" H X 17" W X 11" D

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The two speakers that made the biggest impression in my youth are these;

Energy22 and the JBL L110

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The two speakers that made the biggest impression in my youth are these;

Energy22 and the JBL L110
I must have missed this post. The baffle on those JBL speakers is very thick. The Energys look very cool with the translucent midbass, is that an acoustic suspension cabinet design?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a personal addition to make of some JBL L20T bookshelf speakers from the mid-late eighties. I will finally be able to piece together my 80's vintage system comprised of an Akai receiver, my Magnavox CDB650, and finally a pair of equally vintage and cool speakers. It's going to look sharp.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Very cool setup you have there.

I've emailed Energy to see if they have specifications on the Energy22s. I don't recall seeing a port but that was over 20 years ago when I first saw and heard them. I thonk the woofer diametr was around 7" and they were good down 30Hz. I heard Planet Claire from the B52s played through these and the bass in that song is very low. These speakers played that bass loud, clear, and tight.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Seth

Energry 22 Reference Specs
Email coming your way with the attached brochure. But for anyone interested;

Bass reflex dual port

Tweeter 1.5" "Dual HyperDome TM"
Woofer 7" Polypropolene cone woofer
Freq Response 28Hz -45KHz +/- 3db on axes
28Hz - 20KHz +/- 2db On Axes
Sensitivity 86db SPL/W/M
Impedance 8 ohm nominal
Dimensions 24.625"h x 10.5"w x 12"d
Weight 34 lbs each

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Seth

Energry 22 Reference Specs
Email coming your way with the attached brochure. But for anyone interested;

Bass reflex dual port

Tweeter 1.5" "Dual HyperDome TM"
Woofer 7" Polypropolene cone woofer
Freq Response 28Hz -45KHz +/- 3db on axes
28Hz - 20KHz +/- 2db On Axes
Sensitivity 86db SPL/W/M
Impedance 8 ohm nominal
Dimensions 24.625"h x 10.5"w x 12"d
Weight 34 lbs each

should be single port not dual port

Last edited by a moderator:
N

n3tel

Audiophyte
I happen to have a NEW in the BOX MGC-1e. I have no idea how to find a home for it..

Their was also an amplifier made specifically for the "Delayed Ambiance System" called the MGC-1e

Specs:
100 watts per-channel RMS into 4 ohms
THD less than .5% at 1000hz 10db below clipping
Weight: 22lb

No pics sorry:(

I have a NOS never been used MGC-1e. I'd like to find a good home for it. I can post pics if anyone is interested??? It comes with one speaker cable. (yes, just one... Don't know if this is a bonus cable, or if this is missing a cable.... The cable is also brand new, sealed in plastic.

Any ideas anyone????

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a NOS never been used MGC-1e. I'd like to find a good home for it. I can post pics if anyone is interested??? It comes with one speaker cable. (yes, just one... Don't know if this is a bonus cable, or if this is missing a cable.... The cable is also brand new, sealed in plastic.

Any ideas anyone????
Picture of front and back please?:D Since you have less than 5 posts you can post links to a photobucket or something just change the format from www.photobucket.com to www dot photobucket dot com, otherwise it will be blocked.:eek:

D

dingus

Audiophyte

Any ideas anyone????
yes, i am in the process of acquiring a pair of MGC-1's that are missing the MGC-1e box. if its still available, i would be glad to take it off your hands (with due compensation of course).

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have never owned these but I'd like to...

DCM Timewindows

I remember auditioning them in a store around '87/'88 and being blown away...I couldn't afford them and I knew nothing about speakers then but it sounded great to me.:)
I listened to DCM Timewindows in the early 80s and they sounded great. What ever happened to this company.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis