Loudspeakers that Missed the Public Ear Thread

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well I do list my all components in my signature. I do have a pair of AR's some hulking AR9LSi towers which are simply amazing as well as two sansui receivers (Doesn't get much better in my opinion) and I am considering doing an overview of some of my components.
I imagine the front baffle accounts for nearly 40 or so pound of the entire 120 pounds per speaker. Two very good reason for doing this. Reducing front cabinet reflections (less surface area) and deadening the front as well as reinforcing the rest of the cabinet while maintaining a large internal volume. It appears that model might be using a transmission line array, is this correct?

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
It appears that model might be using a transmission line array, is this correct?
All the drivers are arranged in a vertical array from tweeter to woofer if thats what you mean. I'm not amazingly well versed in the audio jargon so if I misunderstood your question then I do apologize.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
All the drivers are arranged in a vertical array from tweeter to woofer if thats what you mean. I'm not amazingly well versed in the audio jargon so if I misunderstood your question then I do apologize.
Transmission line refers to a bass venting method. Transmission lines are expensive to build, therfore you won't see many around. Inside of the cabinet has a network of planks, or folds, that have insulation fastened to them to absorb the acoustic energy from the back force of the woofer. It has the benefits of ported and sealed designs while being ported. The bass roll-off is smooth like a sealed design, and the efficiency is akin to bass reflex (ported) designs. It reduces stress on the woofer because the cabinet isn't sealed. A woofer in a sealed cabinet will be more likely to flex. Since the Acoustic Research AR9LSi is vented it helps remove that stress allowing the designer to use lighter materials for the woofer's construction without be as concerned about flexing, which also increases bass efficiency. When the acoustic energy reaches the end of the line little to know energy is felt at the port.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

The picture is of the model B but they are the same except the C's woofer is 10" and the B's are 12". Ohm is known more for there omni-polar designs but I really like these for almost forty year old design. Clean and balanced.:cool:

Production Period early: 1970's
Nationally Advertised Price: originally $400 per pair
Amplifiers Recommended: 15 - 75 watts
Impedance (typical): 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 47 - 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity @ 2.8 Volts: 87 dB
Sealed design
Do you have a pair of those?
Yep!:cool: They need to be re-veneered but.....for $6 for the pair at the local thrift store I'm not complaining.:)
some day I'll get the tweeters replaced in my ADS L620's and compare the two...

note: I'm using Googled photos...:eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here's an interesting thread on anothe forum.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/showthread.php?t=442305

It seems production was limited to 93', which makes them even more rare. However this source seems a big shakey. He says manuals were never printed for them, but I have the user's manual (which is a bit odd in of itself because it mentions models that have never been mentioned elsewhere on the internet). My users manual has extremly thick paper stapled without being folded, which is probably how they would have done the very first (rough copy) manuals. As such, it would seem I have information regarding the series that few people do if the manuals where not shipped with most of the speakers.

*ponders*

My speakers keep getting cooler and cooler.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
some day I'll get the tweeters replaced in my ADS L620's and compare the two...

note: I'm using Googled photos...:eek:
Is it the fuse in the ADS, or the tweeter? It's usually the fuse that's bad. ADS speakers are tough contenders in their era, they might spoil your giddyness about the Ohms.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Is it the fuse in the ADS, or the tweeter? It's usually the fuse that's bad. ADS speakers are tough contenders in their era, they might spoil your giddyness about the Ohms.:D
It's the tweets...I tested it. There's a site that has the tweeters but...I have to find that site again...:)

I here you. Most everyone I've spoke to about ADS's love them.

Neither will supplant my Ascend 340se's or SVS MTS-01's so it's all just nostalgia. Cool but just something to have and to play with.:cool:

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
Since the Acoustic Research AR9LSi is vented it helps remove that stress allowing the designer to use lighter materials for the woofer's construction without be as concerned about flexing, which also increases bass efficiency
Ok I understand now. They are actually sealed and like most of Ar's speakers use their Acoustic Suspension for both the 12" woofer and internal downward firing 10" woofer and thank you again for the clarification.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok I understand now. They are actually sealed and like most of Ar's speakers use their Acoustic Suspension for both the 12" woofer and internal downward firing 10" woofer and thank you again for the clarification.
I see now too, just looked up the manifest for New England ARs, and it mentions the 10" in the bottom.

A

antiprnt

Audiophyte
Imaging

Hey Seth, I noticed you mentioned that the imaging wasnt that great on your AR's. I dont know if the terms imaging and soundstage are related, but i've experienced a very wide sound stage with my ARs. I've had to watch movies in 2 channel with my AR's at one point and it was the first time i've experienced what seemed to be surround sound coming from a 2 channel setup. Some of the sound effects really sounded like it was coming from the rear.

I've only compared the ARs to a pair of bic acoustic ht75's and the AR's completely blow them away in terms of soundstage/imaging. I always have a pair of vintage tannoy mk2 gold's lying around. I need to get some stands for it before i can test it in the system. I've never really fully enjoyed the AR's without thinking how it compares to the more modern speakers of the same price point, but this thread has helped my upgraditis subside a bit. The classic speaker pages has a good amount of info on ARs.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Seth, I noticed you mentioned that the imaging wasnt that great on your AR's. I dont know if the terms imaging and soundstage are related, but i've experienced a very wide sound stage with my ARs. I've had to watch movies in 2 channel with my AR's at one point and it was the first time i've experienced what seemed to be surround sound coming from a 2 channel setup. Some of the sound effects really sounded like it was coming from the rear.

I've only compared the ARs to a pair of bic acoustic ht75's and the AR's completely blow them away in terms of soundstage/imaging. I always have a pair of vintage tannoy mk2 gold's lying around. I need to get some stands for it before i can test it in the system. I've never really fully enjoyed the AR's without thinking how it compares to the more modern speakers of the same price point, but this thread has helped my upgraditis subside a bit. The classic speaker pages has a good amount of info on ARs.
Actually ARs soundstage excellent, but only when you are on axis. Sitting too high, too low, to far to the left, to far to the right will topple the soundstage. You are at an advantage with your ARs because they are taller. I have to slump on my couch to get into the sound stage. The manual calls for minimal obstructions on the wall opposite to the speakers, so it's likely I have yet to experience the best these speakers have to offer because the couch is a pretty big obstruction in the line of audio transmission.

Sorry for any confusion in the previous post I made. I'm happy you joined just to share you experience with your AR Classics.:)

Btw, I feel that the AR Classic series speakers falls under the category of modern speakers. They are more innovative than anything Best Buy sells, and if we consider Best Buy speakers to be modern.... well.;)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Seth, I don't know the innards of the speaker, but if they used electrolytic caps, have you ever considered recapping the crossovers?

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
Seth, I don't know the innards of the speaker, but if they used electrolytic caps, have you ever considered recapping the crossovers?
If they're like most AR speakers they probably use resistors and coils instead of caps.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
It's the tweets...I tested it. There's a site that has the tweeters but...I have to find that site again...:)

I here you. Most everyone I've spoke to about ADS's love them.

Neither will supplant my Ascend 340se's or SVS MTS-01's so it's all just nostalgia. Cool but just something to have and to play with.:cool:
I have a pair of ADS L400's that sound great, lot's of detail but smooth.They served as my mains with a MK sub for some 20 years. They lived on the factory stands and still look like new. I finally blew a tweeter last year and found a pair of tweeters on Ebay for $25. They're back to work now as my surrounds and I wouldn't be surprised if I get another 20 years out of em, built like tanks. (very small tanks)

I haven't heard any ADS three ways but understand the soft dome mid / tweeter combo is excellent. I'd love to find some 810's for cheap.

Strong, I bet you'd think it was money well spent to get those up and running. The tweets are pretty easy to find. If there aren't any on ebay, try Richard So, ads_speakers@yahoo.com. He worked for them back in the day and has lots of inside knowledge, lots of parts too. I also think he will refurb those tweeters if you like.

Thanks for this thread Seth, very interesting.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
There is an old thread revived in the "Write your own review" section about ADS speakers right now, if anyone is interested.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest, I'm not too eager to take these apart. Everything about them would seem to indicate no one has tampered with these speakers outside of the AR factory. It would be a shame to take my speakers' innocence away at this point. I want to get to know more about them before I do any tinkering, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input though.:)

This thread is turning out better than I imagined.

THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE PICTURES OF ADS SPEAKERS BTW!!!:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I have never owned these but I'd like to...

DCM Timewindows

I remember auditioning them in a store around '87/'88 and being blown away...I couldn't afford them and I knew nothing about speakers then but it sounded great to me.:)

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
I have never owned these but I'd like to...

DCM Timewindows

I remember auditioning them in a store around '87/'88 and being blown away...I couldn't afford them and I knew nothing about speakers then but it sounded great to me.:)
The place that is selling these is just about an hour from were I live, small world.

Any one remember EPI/Epicure.:D

I actually saw a pair of these in a resale shop not far from me for $40. They needed a re-foam and from what I hear they are pretty good for a 2-way bookshelf speaker.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The place that is selling these is just about an hour from were I live, small world.

Any one remember EPI/Epicure.:D

I actually saw a pair of these in a resale shop not far from me for $40. They needed a re-foam and from what I hear they are pretty good for a 2-way bookshelf speaker.
My workplace has a pair of EPI/Epicure towers with horn tweeters, 5.25" mids, and 2-12" woofers, drivers are prestine. They are marked at $179.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis