loudspeaker to aux?

J

julunyeti

Audiophyte
I have a JBL Eon 515xt, and I connect it to my DJ mixer via XLR, and it works fine. Now I also have a wire (male auxiliary to male auxiliary, and a female auxiliary to make 3/4") that I use to connect my phone, laptop, Etc. to my speaker. While doing this, the noise comes out weird router login, like I only hear bass and some treble, some sort of distorted noise. My question is, is it the wire that's causing the problem, or is it that I cannot connect a phone to such a large speaker?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a JBL Eon 515xt, and I connect it to my DJ mixer via XLR, and it works fine. Now I also have a wire (male auxiliary to male auxiliary, and a female auxiliary to make 3/4") that I use to connect my phone, laptop, Etc. to my speaker. While doing this, the noise comes out weird, like I only hear bass and some treble, some sort of distorted noise. My question is, is it the wire that's causing the problem, or is it that I cannot connect a phone to such a large speaker?
If it's a phone with a headphone output only, then it's the probably that. Regardless more information is needed. What mixer, what input on the mixer, what phone, aux cable isn't a type of cable, so what cable, etc? Sounds like you're overloading the input but it's hard to say.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a JBL Eon 515xt, and I connect it to my DJ mixer via XLR, and it works fine. Now I also have a wire (male auxiliary to male auxiliary, and a female auxiliary to make 3/4") that I use to connect my phone, laptop, Etc. to my speaker. While doing this, the noise comes out weird, like I only hear bass and some treble, some sort of distorted noise. My question is, is it the wire that's causing the problem, or is it that I cannot connect a phone to such a large speaker?
We need to know the spec. of that input on the speaker. What is that input, is it balanced or unbalanced and what is its impedance? My guess is that you have mode an improper connection going from unbalanced to balanced, but I need more information.

highfigh

highfigh

RTFM and you should be able to find the problem.

highfigh

highfigh

We need to know the spec. of that input on the speaker. What is that input, is it balanced or unbalanced and what is its impedance? My guess is that you have mode an improper connection going from unbalanced to balanced, but I need more information.
The OP showed the brand and model- you could have searched online for this and it would take less time than writing your post.

Here ya go-

highfigh

highfigh

The 3/4" connector- does it have three pins? If so, that's called XLR, which is a low impedance input and technically, it's not compatible with your phone's output. You can buy a converter, though.

If the sound changes, you probably have a bad connection.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The OP showed the brand and model- you could have searched online for this and it would take less time than writing your post.

Here ya go-

Sorry, i got confused as that speaker is also a three channel mixer. But it is a balanced unit.
As I suspected the speaker is a fully balanced unit and your phone is unbalanced. So you need a floating line.

Your best solution is a box like this, if you don't want to build the network yourself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis