Loud Music Can Cause Lung Collapse?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Apparently yes according to a report in the medical journal Thorax, they described cases of young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called Pneumothorax.

According to the Reuters Report:

“A pneumothorax occurs when a small rupture in one of the lungs allows air to leak into the space between the lungs and the chest wall, causing the lung to collapse. Symptoms include breathlessness and chest pain on the affected side. “

Think about this next time you “turn it up” or decide to upgrade to that new dual Servo 18” 1000 watt subwoofer for your home theater system. Practice safe listening; protect your sanity, ears and YES lungs!

Read the Report

N

ned

Full Audioholic
gene said:
Apparently yes according to a report in the medical journal Thorax, they described cases of young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called Pneumothorax.

According to the Reuters Report:

“A pneumothorax occurs when a small rupture in one of the lungs allows air to leak into the space between the lungs and the chest wall, causing the lung to collapse. Symptoms include breathlessness and chest pain on the affected side. “

Think about this next time you “turn it up” or decide to upgrade to that new dual Servo 18” 1000 watt subwoofer for your home theater system. Practice safe listening; protect your sanity, ears and YES lungs!

Read the Report
This are case studies report. In medical community there are a lot of rare cases reported that causation and effect is suspected. Most cases are proven coincidental rather than a direct relationship. More cases are required to establish scientific fact.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I am a physician (radiologist) who has diagnosed more pneumothoraces than most and have even caused and treated a few (comes with the territory).

I agree with Ned, causality is a long way from being proven. Most pneumothoraces (PTX) are due to penetrating trauma especially from the sharp ends of broken ribs, severe blunt trauma (motor vehicle accidents) and the ideopathic (unknown) usually thin males often smpkers as the article points out.

The force in the blunt trauma cases I have seen is vastly more than one could receive sonically unless one was linked to the driver by an acoustic coupler more efficient than air. Think direct contact, ultrasound gel or a water bath such as is used in blasting kidney stones with sound waves (lithotripsy). Air is a rather poor conductor of sound and disapates the energy quickly.

I think what is not controlled for in these tiny population samples is that all of those involved are in the high risk category for spontaneous PTX. The fact that a few have ocurred at loud concerts may just be a coincidence. I would consider that the volume could be a complementary factor. I also wonder if any of these fine folks were involved in any altercations they did not wish to report to authorities about. We who deal with large emergency rooms are a cynical lot.

Dan said:
I also wonder if any of these fine folks were involved in any altercations they did not wish to report to authorities about. We who deal with large emergency rooms are a cynical lot.
That is a very good point. We, of course, took this story with a grain of salt - but you have to admit, it was funny. ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That's the next "bragging point," though! Just imagine being able to have your buddies come over to hear your rig, and you friggin' collapse their lungs! :D

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I know, those pnuemothorax's were actually caused when someone picked up the speaker and hit the listener with it. If loud sound can cause that, why aren't there more casualties at rock concerts. When I was younger I sometimes suffered loss of breath at concerts. I thought it was because of the drugs and liquor. Should Cerwin Vega speakers (loud is good if it's clean) have medical disclaimers attached. Is that a for real article. Tell me that really came from last April's issue of whatever. Really; it's September not April. That news story should be titled music hertz.:cool:

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's the next "bragging point," though! Just imagine being able to have your buddies come over to hear your rig, and you friggin' collapse their lungs!
Damn it Rob, don't steal my lines for up and coming subwoofer reviews ;)

Going forward we will have a new category rating for subwoofers:
Lung Busting Factor :D

M

mediafrk

Enthusiast
PTX-odds ratio

Gene,
You can try another scale for your speaker or amplifier reviews: the PTX-odds ratio (PTX being the abbreviation for pneumothorax). What are the odds that a pneumothax will occur in a tall-thin male when having the speakers at maximum dB while maintaining a reasonable % of distortion.

Good luck on the experiments:D

annunaki

annunaki

The only possible way I could see this ever happening would be if one of those idiots doing SPL competition was insde the vehicle when it was playing. I believe the current world receord is 175.5db (it could be higher?). Who knows, there could be enough pressure there?

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
annunaki said:
The only possible way I could see this ever happening would be if one of those idiots doing SPL competition was insde the vehicle when it was playing. I believe the current world receord is 175.5db (it could be higher?). Who knows, there could be enough pressure there?

Wow. Now that's loud! Isn't that about the equivalent of the Space Shuttle taking off?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Polkfan said:
Wow. Now that's loud! Isn't that about the equivalent of the Space Shuttle taking off?
I don't know about in the 170's(!!!!!!!) -- but a few years ago I sat inside of a SPL comp vehicle that hit low 160's(don't remember exact measurement) -- the guy submitted me to a very short bass burst(maybe 3-5 seconds?). It was a horrible feeling(like something was terribly wrong with my insides!), personally! I have no idea what longer exposure might do -- but that short burst was terrible. But memorable. :D

-Chris

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
annunaki said:
I doubt the world record is 175dB. If this guy can do this:

Crazy dB Dave's van 169.9

then it shouldn't be to hard to surpass 175dB.

Paul

EDIT: On this page of that LOOONG thread it says he hit 178.1dB.

Top of Page

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis