LoTR: The Rings of Power

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
New series on Prime, supposedly the most expensive series ever, topping Game of Thrones. There's a trailer out now, looks pretty good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PQ looks much better than the LOTR movies Trilogy since the new LOTR TV series is shot with the 4K Resolution Arri Alexa Digital cameras vs 35 mm Analog film (the new Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon is also shot with the 4K Arri Alexa Digital cameras).

Of course, the main thing is going to be the Writing and Directing. So hopefully it will excel where it counts the most. :D

The 3 listed directors seem to have a decent resume (Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, Man in the High Castle, Colony, Outlander, Wheel of Time).

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
PQ looks much better than the LOTR movies Trilogy since the new LOTR TV series is shot with the 4K Resolution Arri Alexa Digital cameras vs 35 mm Analog film (the new Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon is also shot with the 4K Arri Alexa Digital cameras).

Of course, the main thing is going to be the Writing and Directing. So hopefully it will excel where it counts the most. :D

The 3 listed directors seem to have a decent resume (Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, Man in the High Castle, Colony, Outlander, Wheel of Time).
My expectations are very low for this show. The budget for the show was was over $300m so I hope the CGI and other visuals are top notch, but I don't have high hopes for writing. Clearly this show is going to make true Tolkien fans very upset. Maybe some will love it. But expect it to create tons of chatter when it drops.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My expectations are very low for this show. The budget for the show was was over $300m so I hope the CGI and other visuals are top notch, but I don't have high hopes for writing. Clearly this show is going to make true Tolkien fans very upset. Maybe some will love it. But expect it to create tons of chatter when it drops.
I hope you’re wrong about your low expectations of the writing but I’m optimistic. I’m looking forward to the series airing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the Jackson films weren't exactly true to the books, so I wasn't entirely crazy about what they did with them either. I still can enjoy those films. Supposedly they brought in a good team for writing this one, but we'll see.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's probably gonna be another "Wheel of Time" or "Witcher".

I don't expect it to be like Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon. :cool:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the Jackson films weren't exactly true to the books, so I wasn't entirely crazy about what they did with them either. Supposedly they brought in a good team for writing this one, but we'll see.
But movie trilogy was great anyway, and besides, it’s certainly not easy to make three movies closely going the books while still making it watchable. Similar for the Wheel of Times TV series attempting to closely follow the very many thick books written.

I think with this new series the writers have much more leeway.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But movie trilogy was great anyway, and besides, it’s certainly not easy to make three movies closely going the books while still making it watchable. Similar for the Wheel of Times TV series attempting to closely follow the very many thick books written.

I think with this new series the writers have much more leeway.
Some of the things they changed made literally no sense and others simply did not happen, were left out, or characters that don't exist or were drastically changed to suit the films. I didn't find most of those things made either the Hobbit or LOTR more watchable. Some of the changes or moving of events to a different film vs. the books for pacing and watchability I get. This will always be the case though, it won't be "like the book" and they did a lot of things right, it was just a few here and there didn't work for me.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm interested, for certain.

What I don't get is the feigned purity so many people have about shows and movies. Nobody wants to enjoy the new Star Wars, or GoT didn't trek closely to GRR Martins books or the new Star Treks... :rolleyes:

Of course they are different! They need to be. Times have changed. Viewing habits have changed.

I didn't want the old-new Battlestar Galactica do be a carbon copy of the original. I didn't want the new Star Wars to be a carbon copy. I don't need every Star Trek to be Classic or TNG clone. I did not need WoT to mimic every step of the books (my god, if I had to spend 5 minutes every episode exploring dressmaking and the way a lacy frill hung or accentuated some body part I'd slit my throat!). (Anybody else ever wonder if Robert Jordan was into Drag? :p )
Anyway, seriously... I'm glad Bombadil wasn't a part of the story. I don't mind the adaptations PJ and co. made in the two Trilogies.
If Amazon can keep the basic feel of what came before while telling a different part of the story in JRRT's universe, I'll be stoked.

:cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The old battlestar galactica was kind of boring lol. The first "new" Star Wars TFA, WAS basically a carbon copy, and it was not so unobvious about it lol.

In this trailier, I think that might be Bombadil? Kinda looks like it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to the series, altho we'll see how "accurate" it is....but at least Tolkien had the history all laid out for them to work with (at least I think I saw references to the Silmarillion being used), somewhat easier I'd think than inventing your own.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Looking forward to the series, altho we'll see how "accurate" it is....but at least Tolkien had the history all laid out for them to work with (at least I think I saw references to the Silmarillion being used), somewhat easier I'd think than inventing your own.
But it’s also vague enough to give the series writes some wiggle room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, there is SOOO much in the Appendicies/Silmarillion that they have a lot to draw upon. I don't need "accurate", just not blatant changes because a bunch of studio execs who have never read a book period decided how the story should go.

I am definitely looking forward to it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was always surprised that High Fantasy and Science Fiction were always so closely grouped.

They can each have horror elements (Alien, Event Horizon as sci fi) and lets face it... GoT was a Zombie story if ever there was one. :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The old battlestar galactica was kind of boring lol.
Original? or the remake?
The first "new" Star Wars TFA, WAS basically a carbon copy, and it was not so unobvious about it lol.
Right! The movies pillaged the same story so hard it was horrendous, yet everybody complained that they weren't the original trilogy. *shrugs The new Star Treks are so much like the old ones that it surprise me people are complaining because that is exactly what kept the franchise going for so long.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis