Looking for Subwoofer Suggestions for HT Room (WiP)

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Just that if you went to a bigger room the larger subs can make the transition easier than smaller ones :). A fairly small sealed room like yours could do well with the 12s but if you can do the 15s I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think Rythmik PSA and Monolith all make very good subs....just depends on your spl and extension goals and budget as to what makes most sense for you. I think Hsu is a bit better value than most, but then I just DIY personally.
I totally agree, and given I'm going to buy one first and get the 2nd one a little later, I feel getting a bigger sub now might work better for me, so I'm trying to investigate as many options as possible. I really only found out about the other brands a few days back, I had only known SVS, Monoprice etc, because they go on sale often.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I completely agree, placement I'll do dilligence once I have the sub. I'm trying to figure which are better value, PB 3000s seem to have an app controlled dsp ~ $1300 for a 13" driver vs 15" driver with HSU which don't seem to have that app experience, not sure what kind of difference does that make. I'm sure there is more to it, but I'm trying to understand those aspects.
I'll be honest, the apps shouldn't really be that much of a factor. For most people, subwoofers are devices that you calibrate once and do not mess around with after that point. The reason is if you start to adjust settings on the sub itself after calibration, you knock it out of calibration. After calibration, the sub should be controlled by whatever AV processor you are using, so it's easy to go back to a calibrated state. You can use apps to adjust the sound to taste after you have calibrated for a target curve, I suppose, but even that is something you are only likely to do once.

One thing I will give apps, they are awesome if you are a subwoofer tester who has to take these things out in quasi-anechoic environments and then measure every possible configuration.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I'll be honest, the apps shouldn't really be that much of a factor. For most people, subwoofers are devices that you calibrate once and do not mess around with after that point. The reason is if you start to adjust settings on the sub itself after calibration, you knock it out of calibration. After calibration, the sub should be controlled by whatever AV processor you are using, so it's easy to go back to a calibrated state. You can use apps to adjust the sound to taste after you have calibrated for a target curve, I suppose, but even that is something you are only likely to do once.

One thing I will give apps, they are awesome if you are a subwoofer tester who has to take these things out in quasi-anechoic environments and then measure every possible configuration.
Frankly I don’t know if I’ll understand how to change any settings which would positively affect me, at least not in the near term. If we don’t count that as a factor, which other specs I should consider as factors towards price difference.

thank you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Frankly I don’t know if I’ll understand how to change any settings which would positively affect me, at least not in the near term. If we don’t count that as a factor, which other specs I should consider as factors towards price difference.

thank you.
If it were me, I would be looking at performance (as measured by third parties), form factor (as in how large should the sub be), appearance, and reliability. For performance, I would want a sub that digs down to at least 20Hz for home theater applications.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Thank you. I’m going to research on all of these subs, and narrow them down to a few to decide upon.

JackstrawfromWichita

JackstrawfromWichita

Enthusiast

Though I somewhat agree on the app not being a big factor, as a new SVS owner this month I must say....I’m digging the app! Being able to setup 4 preset gains (movies, tv/sports/tvfakenews/and one for music) is very nice. I like to leave my processor setting alone, and adjust the sub via the App. Mine are backed up to dark corners so manually doing that is difficult (I’m pretty much blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other), so having the iPad handy to adjust is convenient.

C

Chad Gerkin

Audiophyte
Never to much Subwoofer. To get the best bang for your buck, Jl Audio. Worth every penny. I would love to hear your setup, sounds awesome. Ive got a 12' x 20' living room, I use a
Jl audio F113 v2
Paradigm Persona 3F for fronts
W/ Anthem STR power amp on those
Paradigm Persona C for a Center channel
A pair of B & W Htm71s2's for rears
W/ Anthem mca 525 running those
Anthem avm60 for my processor.
Love it so far, worth every penny. Ugh...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Never to much Subwoofer. To get the best bang for your buck, Jl Audio. Worth every penny. I would love to hear your setup, sounds awesome. Ive got a 12' x 20' living room, I use a
Jl audio F113 v2
Paradigm Persona 3F for fronts
W/ Anthem STR power amp on those
Paradigm Persona C for a Center channel
A pair of B & W Htm71s2's for rears
W/ Anthem mca 525 running those
Anthem avm60 for my processor.
Love it so far, worth every penny. Ugh...
The F113v2 is a fine sub for sure, but bang for the buck it is not. $5k for a sealed 13"?

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
If it were me, I would be looking at performance (as measured by third parties), form factor (as in how large should the sub be), appearance, and reliability. For performance, I would want a sub that digs down to at least 20Hz for home theater applications.
Which sub do you think gives good bang for buck.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Though I somewhat agree on the app not being a big factor, as a new SVS owner this month I must say....I’m digging the app! Being able to setup 4 preset gains (movies, tv/sports/tvfakenews/and one for music) is very nice. I like to leave my processor setting alone, and adjust the sub via the App. Mine are backed up to dark corners so manually doing that is difficult (I’m pretty much blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other), so having the iPad handy to adjust is convenient.
That does some like some good use of the app.

Though I’d like to know for subs which have ports that can be filled, like the HSU, the profiles can be adjusted on the fly, how is that done?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Everyone's thoughts on Value will be different. So thats a question that can't be answered with Logic

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Many of the brands commonly mentioned around here. Hsu, SVS, Outlaw Audio, Monoprice Monolith, Paradigm Defiance, Rythmik, JTR, Deep Sea Sound, to name a few.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh okay, so all ported subs come with plugs and their specific curves for each case? How do we usually change them.
I wouldn't say all ported subs come with plugs, altho easy enough to make your own if you want, but doesn't necessarily mean its going to work well in sealed mode particularly depending on the box/driver involved. Hsu and the Monolith subs (and SVS does or used to I think, can't think of another at the moment) also have specific dsp modes to match depending on ports open/closed for variable tuning.

Last edited:
I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't say all ported subs come with plugs, altho easy enough to make your own if you want, but doesn't necessarily mean its going to work well in sealed mode particularly depending on the box/driver involved. Hsu and the Monolith subs (and SVS does or used to I think, can't think of another at the moment) also have specific dsp modes to match depending on ports open/closed for variable tuning.
Thank you. This is an important consideration for me, I feel I’d like to experience ported subs both way, and would probably be more rewarding if the subs have pre-tuned dsp’s handling both cases, and I can use them in ported or plugged for say movies vs music.

C

Chad Gerkin

Audiophyte
You can not subwoofer shop by looking at statistics. You need to go listen. And i guess bang for your buck is the jl audio f113 v2, but its one hell of a ground pounder, and will stand up and perform!!!
And still be the Quality that im lookin for.
Ive always heart that SVS subs play loud and low.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can not subwoofer shop by looking at statistics. You need to go listen. And i guess bang for your buck is the jl audio f113 v2, but its one hell of a ground pounder, and will stand up and perform!!!
And still be the Quality that im lookin for.
Ive always heart that SVS subs play loud and low.
Not really, auditions won't tell you a lot in most store situations. JL is not bang for the buck unless you highly value small and pretty.

C

Chad Gerkin

Audiophyte
Not really, auditions won't tell you a lot in most store situations. JL is not bang for the buck unless you highly value small and pretty.
I meant to say " i guess that Jlaudio isn't, bang for your buck but either way u don't know much about Subs, or u wouldnt bad talk Jlaudio. And u go to an audio video store specifically, or u wont even find a sub that fits the bill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis