Looking for Power Amplifier Use Recommendations

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
One of the more, uh, creative descriptions of a class d amp I've seen......
Oh yeah? Why don't you try and get away from the herd, educate yourself and try to disprove my statement....(creatively, of course)....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah? Why don't you try and get away from the herd, educate yourself and try to disprove my statement....(creatively, of course)....
While some class D based amps do the ADC then DAC like my Crown XLS amps, it's not typically a class D function....the herd? I think you're the one in a small herd of misinformation....and that probably carries over politically the way you throw that around....

Shazb0t

Shazb0t

Audiophyte
What the hell are you talking about?The class D amp is basically A2D and D2A mayhem. Feeding a class D amp an analog input signal will put it through another A2D conversion then another D2A roughly 10 times worse than 2.8mhz dsd (switching frequency of common class D amps is around 250khz).

Amp manufacturers must be paying the reviewers/advertisers a lot of money to continually praise class D and convert Joe Schmomomododo into a D lover. Cheap China boards sold in mass at the same price of heavy-duty class A and AB designs equals big profit margins for class D manufacturers. Hence, it is the "future",
Alternatively, and as seen in various trustworthy measurements by different entities all over the internet, class D module like the Hypex stuff is actually really high performance. Not everything is a conspiracy.

D

Don'tBeJelousAtPete

Audiophyte
New Power amp? Solid state only? No matter what type amp technology (class) used? At today's build quality and almost non-repair-ability / very low trade in value indifferent what it initially sold for / new retail asking price? And also good 2 channel audiophile performance dedicated or capable atleast?
Stay close to home Parasound, Emotiva or further away from home buy Rotel !

T

TChern

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 4700H 11.2.4 setup and after months of research into the pro's and con's of all the different class power amps, I finally pulled the trigger and just purchased a Monoprice Monolith 3 channel B-Stock for just over $1000 and I am very impressed by the sound improvement. I was using a Emotiva BasX 2 channel for my front L&R, which I now use for my 2 surrounds. The Monolith is assembled in the USA with some parts from probably China, but most Amps, like Emotive etc do the same thing. It appears from my research the Monolith is Made by ATI and has really impressive specs. You might want to check it out as a reasonably priced alternative.
As with all classes of power amps you have to weigh the pro's and Con's. I like Class A, AB Amps for their warmer sound and headroom. I have 2 Adcom 5500's in my dedicated music system in my Man Cave for many years now and they kick ass. With it's 1800W power supply it weighs in at around 70 lbs so you need something sturdy to place it on.
Unless your dead set on Class D or H, you might want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Depending on the size of your room as others have stated a power amp may not do anything for you provided you listen at reasonable, below reference level volumes. I have a 4300h and have a number of power amps from Parasound and Adcom to a 5 channel Legacy Audio as well as a trio of Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks. Once I moved to new my relatively cramped listening area and my average listening level changed due to having people living above me, I came to realize that my 4300 actually has zero issues driving 7 4ohm speakers and 2 6ohm speakers, it’s never gone into protection mode. So unless you feel like your Yamaha is running out of juice it’s going to be a minor improvement if any. I’m not negating the headroom advantages by any means but again if you’re not running reference level on the daily that’s certainly something to consider

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He's not the one making a positive claim. You did that by basically stating class D amps are garbage. We ain't buying it. There's plenty of info and measurements out there for the newer class D designs that refute your claims. Therefore the burden of proof lies with you. So please, show us your work.

PS, bonus points if you can do it without being condescending and insulting. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis