Looking for Power Amplifier Use Recommendations

Akiyalria

Akiyalria

Audiophyte
Good day, all
I've been considering getting a power amplifier to compliment my AV setup for some time according to Power Amp Basic Tech Guide, although I don't mind admitting I'm not that knowledgeable in this area.
I currently have a 5.1 setup, powered by a Yamaha RX A1070 which puts out 110 watts PCH. My front three speakers are Kef Q900's and a Kef Q600c.
Usage wise im about 50 / 50 between music and movies. My aim is to take some load off the Yamaha but also to boost our improve the front L/R for stereo music especially.
I'm looking for recommendations on either two or three channel power amplifiers as I'm on a budget. Second hand is no problem but ideally for cosmetic reasons I'm looking for a unit available in black.

Anyone has ideas of it? Many thanks.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
There are plenty of two channel Amps out there to consider, can't say I've seen any three channel Amps though.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For new, the monoprice amp recommended is probably good bang for the buck and cheaper than Emotiva or Anthem. 110W should be plenty to drive the KEFs but you can gain some headroom with more amplification. The improvement will be marginal unless you're driving the speakers at reference levels a lot. On the used market look for Crown amps, but they will be 2-channel. Check that your speaker settings do not have the fronts set to "large". They should be set to "small" and the subwoofer should be handling the very low end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good day, all
I've been considering getting a power amplifier to compliment my AV setup for some time according to Power Amp Basic Tech Guide, although I don't mind admitting I'm not that knowledgeable in this area.
I currently have a 5.1 setup, powered by a Yamaha RX A1070 which puts out 110 watts PCH. My front three speakers are Kef Q900's and a Kef Q600c.
Usage wise im about 50 / 50 between music and movies. My aim is to take some load off the Yamaha but also to boost our improve the front L/R for stereo music especially.
I'm looking for recommendations on either two or three channel power amplifiers as I'm on a budget. Second hand is no problem but ideally for cosmetic reasons I'm looking for a unit available in black.

I'd not go back to that power amp guide, it's not very good.

Try some AH articles like these

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, unless you feel your current setup is running out of power, an amp isn't going to add a massive improvement. The first question when looking for an amp should usually be: What's the issue you are trying to fix that you think an amp will fix?

There are plenty of two channel Amps out there to consider, can't say I've seen any three channel Amps though.
Not too many out there, but Emotiva makes one. I used to have it but moved to a 5ch.

Last edited:
L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
Anthem's MCA line comes in 2, 3 and 5 channel variety and deliver 225w/ch.

BUT, like others have already stated...what is "wrong" that you feel more power will resolve? That is the first question you need to ask.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For straight Hypex Amps, there is also Buckeye Amps in OH. Everybody I know that has ordered from him is super happy.
Monoprice-Monolith will be unveiling a Hypex Amp family soon, as I understand.
The Outlaw Monoblocks are excellent Amps, though my experience is the previous generation Model 2200.

And much as everybody else has said... What is it that you are hoping for? :D

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Our customers love ATI -- especially their new Digital amps.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Our customers love ATI -- especially their new Digital amps.

Digital amps?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have had both the Parasound A31 and currently driving my front 3 Personas with a ATI Class D amp. Very pleased with it so far and don’t mind the 5 year warranty they provide. Both are on the pricer side of your options,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But digital?
If I understand it even remotely correctly, it’s a bit of a misnomer in that the SMPS uses pulse width modulation to control its power application. PWM is also used for digital signals.
Simply though, even with a switch mode power supply, class d amplifiers are not digital, especially considering they are already receiving an analog input rather than digital signal. It’s just a holdover from a while back.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Good day, all

Do you have a budget in mind? Hypex based amps from Buckeye look to be a good deal if you are after a low distortion, high efficiency amp.

If you are on a tight budget you could always go to a Guitar Center by you and try a Behringer A800 for ~$300.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good day, all

Based on the measured performance of the RX-A1080, I am a little concern about the RX-A1070's pre out that may have trouble getting to 2 V without being shutdown by the protection system. Gene measured the RX-A860 and it would shutdown even sooner. My concern is with the highly recommended Hypex modules based amps that typically have lower gain than the Yamaha's, something like 25.5 dB vs 29 dB, so for those amps you would need at least 2 V to take full advantage of the 200 to 350 W into 8 ohm rated Hypex module based power amps unless you go with the much more expensive NAD and ATI models.

Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

In view of this, figuring out how much power you will need for your listening habit and seating distance would be a good first step. After that we will know if the suggested low cost amps based on the Hypex modules can do the job for you. If they can, then I would say in addition to taking some load off the Yamaha, it quite likely will also improve stereo music performance/sound quality under certain conditions.

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
If I understand it even remotely correctly, it’s a bit of a misnomer in that the SMPS uses pulse width modulation to control its power application. PWM is also used for digital signals.
Simply though, even with a switch mode power supply, class d amplifiers are not digital, especially considering they are already receiving an analog input rather than digital signal. It’s just a holdover from a while back.
What the hell are you talking about?The class D amp is basically A2D and D2A mayhem. Feeding a class D amp an analog input signal will put it through another A2D conversion then another D2A roughly 10 times worse than 2.8mhz dsd (switching frequency of common class D amps is around 250khz).

Amp manufacturers must be paying the reviewers/advertisers a lot of money to continually praise class D and convert Joe Schmomomododo into a D lover. Cheap China boards sold in mass at the same price of heavy-duty class A and AB designs equals big profit margins for class D manufacturers. Hence, it is the "future",

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of the more, uh, creative descriptions of a class d amp I've seen......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis