Looking for exceptional recordings of upright string bass

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I want to critically evaluate and tune my sub and integration.
I am very familiar with the sound character of teh upright bass.

There are plenty of Jazz Trios with stand up bass and I imagine there must be a concerto or two for upright bass, but the catch is knowing which are exceptional recordings.

Sections of Track 6 "Helping Hand" of Goat Rodeo is a good example of what I am looking for. It is well recorded, but there are only a couple of passages where the Bass is highlighted, and having to constantly "rewind" to those passages gets in the way.

TIA for your suggestions!

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
I want to critically evaluate and tune my sub and integration.
I am very familiar with the sound character of the upright bass.
There are plenty of Jazz Trios with stand up bass and I imagine there must be a concerto or two for upright bass, but the catch is knowing which are exceptional recordings.
Chick Corea "Three Quartets": plenty of upright bass solos (Eddie Gomez). Available on LP and CD (the remastered CD has 4 additional tunes not on the LP). I might even review this someday as it's a modern jazz classic.

Last edited:
Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
Anders Jormin ''Alone''
or Bobo Stenson trio ''Serenity'' or any Bobo Stenson trio recording for that matter.

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
Yep and of course some Bill Evans. A must own on DVD with exceptional sound. Here it is in a couple of parts. I first saw it on Netflix a couple of years ago and became a fan instantly. Read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/379258/The-Bill-Evans-Trio-The-Oslo-Concerts/overview
I did not know this one.
That is Bill Evans, Eddie Gomes and my guess is the then very young Danish drummer Alex Riel.......?
And one microphone!
thanks for posting you made my day.

Systolic

Systolic

Audioholic Intern
What are the best recordings of Mingus, Ray Brown or Paul Chambers? I know what are considered their best recordings session wise, but what are their best recordings sound quality wise?

I'd love a high quality recording of this:

This is also pretty amazing:

Also, this:

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but Brad Mehldau is not afraid to let his side musicians shine. Larry Grenadier may be one of the best bassists playing today. All the Brad Mehldau CD's I've heard have been exceptionally done.

Here's Larry doing a duet with Rebecca Martin

Of course it's Youtube quality so consider that. The CD version is very,very good. Larry Grenadier showing how to play bass with the Brad Mehldau Trio.

Brad Mehldau Trio - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think this qualifies.

Appalachian Journey
Album by Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor, and Yo-Yo Ma

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I was just listening to Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus and was getting into the Doug Watkins double bass.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like blues... look for recordings with Willie Dixon as he played double bass and he was phenomenal

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Another suggestion. Sounds well recorded and the music is great. some very subtle and very low bass notes through out the album.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
My review of Chick Corea's "Three Quartets" is now up on this site; this thread was my original motivation for doing that review. I don't specifically comment on the upright bass, but it's top-notch.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Any Charlie Haden.. Really liked his collaborations with Keith Jarrett.
Cheers, Mac

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis