Looking for a good stereo receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Think if similar price, sure why not have the nicer chip. As far as hearing a difference, not so sure you can. :)
That's my point too, if they are so keen on saving less than a dollar or 2 or such a chip, what else would they do? I don't know the answer though, wouldn't even want to guess..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Searching the manual for high pass I got zilch, searching for crossover only the subwoofer's controls come up. I'm thinking the speakers are full range and it has a limit on the sub out of 90hz. I see a cutoff in the specs after the sub pre-out info. Doesn't appear to have an actual crossover...
That’s probably exactly what it is. On my old 2003 RXV3300 if you said speakers were “small” the signal was sent below 90hz to the sub.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Usually best source of info....like reading tech docs for bike components :)
Back in the pre-indexing days, there was damn little in the way of tech docs out there . . . lol. I learned pretty much everything from the long haired guys who ran the shop . . . .

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Be nice if they put that in the manual. Didn't look for something separate in the way of an app....
That’s probably exactly what it is. On my old 2003 RXV3300 if you said speakers were “small” the signal was sent below 90hz to the sub.
The info on yamaha's music cast is poor as well and the online manual is not a heck of a lot better. The music cast app has some bass management features. You can't set the cross over but you can set the volume and you have to pick the "size" of the speaker (floorstander, bookshelf, compact, etc.). I have no idea what that does to the crossover within the amp but it has an obvious impact on the signal going to the speakers and that will have an impact on how you set the crossover on the sub.

When I bought my yammy preamp (WXC 50),I almost returned the damn thing because the SQ was so poor with my floorstanders until I figured out that there was a setting (buried deep, deep within the app) for speaker type.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Back in the pre-indexing days, there was damn little in the way of tech docs out there . . . lol. I learned pretty much everything from the long haired guys who ran the shop . . . .
Or Sheldon Brown? Barnett's? LOL I learned mostly from another mechanic, too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The info on yamaha's music cast is poor as well and the online manual is not a heck of a lot better. The music cast app has some bass management features. You can't set the cross over but you can set the volume and you have to pick the "size" of the speaker (floorstander, bookshelf, compact, etc.). I have no idea what that does to the crossover within the amp but it has an obvious impact on the signal going to the speakers and that will have an impact on how you set the crossover on the sub.

When I bought my yammy preamp (WXC 50),I almost returned the damn thing because the SQ was so poor with my floorstanders until I figured out that there was a setting (buried deep, deep within the app) for speaker type.
The specs page in the Yamaha N803 manual says subwoofer cut off frequency is 90hz (page 64 of manual that is linked from crutchfield website)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The specs page in the Yamaha N803 manual says subwoofer cut off frequency is 90hz (page 64 of manual that is linked from crutchfield website)
Good catch. If you look at the audioholics thread on the R N803, there is a screenshot of the app that allows you to set the crossover, which is preferable to having a fixed cut off frequency.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-r-n803-stereo-network-receiver-with-ypao-bass-mgt.109121/

I was talking about issues with yamaha's music cast program which has some bass management features but does not allow you to set the crossover.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good catch. If you look at the audioholics thread on the R N803, there is a screenshot of the app that allows you to set the crossover, which is preferable to having a fixed cut off frequency.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-r-n803-stereo-network-receiver-with-ypao-bass-mgt.109121/

I was talking about issues with yamaha's music cast program which has some bass management features but does not allow you to set the crossover.
Hmm those screenshots look nothing like the 2016 and 2017 Yamaha AVRs I have. They look very old school.

Also I prefer Pandora over Amazon Music. Pandora plus is commercial free and only $5/mo and built in to Yamahas. No need to use a phone app.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I ended getting the Onkyo RZ 820. Thing is huge! And sounds fantastic! I think i actually prefer it over my denon.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have the new 3080 and the Pandora app will not allow you to change stations without using the MusicCast app.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ended getting the Onkyo RZ 820. Thing is huge! And sounds fantastic! I think i actually prefer it over my denon.
Good to know you pulled the trigger. The RZ820 and the AVR-X3400H without a doubt are the best available 2 channel receiver or integrated amp $700 or less can buy right now, and better than the Outlaw R2160 imo, just an example.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the new 3080 and the Pandora app will not allow you to change stations without using the MusicCast app.
On 2016 and 2017 models I know. How about this way: (not sure if 2018 is different)

Can you use your remote to press “on screen” then the song shows up in center of screen? Then you arrow right to select “browse”. Then you arrow down to select your station. Or go to “utility” on right and create station.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Good to know you pulled the trigger. The RZ820 and the AVR-X3400H without a doubt are the best available 2 channel receiver or integrated amp $700 or less can buy right now, and better than the Outlaw R2160 imo, just an example.
I agree! Spec for dollar they are untouchable.
I’ve got an onkyo receiver in my closet right now (HTR-980) about 11 years old. Everything still works. Just lacks modern features. I look to have the same reliability out of this one. I know onkyo had a bad bout a couple years ago with hdmi boards. As far as i know, they’ve got past that problem. Either way I’ve got 3 years on warranty. So I’m good.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Just had a quick question. In the settings on this onkyo i purchased, there’s selectable ohm setting. It’s 4 or 6. The B&W speakers are 8 nominal and 4 minimal with drops to 3 ohm. Do the rules apply to home audio as they do car audio (The less ohms the more power output by the amp?) which would output more power to my speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just had a quick question. In the settings on this onkyo i purchased, there’s selectable ohm setting. It’s 4 or 6. The B&W speakers are 8 nominal and 4 minimal with drops to 3 ohm. Do the rules apply to home audio as they do car audio (The less ohms the more power output by the amp?) which would output more power to my speakers?
That is typically the case for a good power amp. For the lower to mid range AVRs, integrated amps and even power amps, it is not always the case. They may in fact provide higher output (10-50% more) on the test bench, but such higher outputs into 4 ohms and below are not sustainable, though totally adequate for real world movie and music listening applications.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
On 2016 and 2017 models I know. How about this way: (not sure if 2018 is different)

Can you use your remote to press “on screen” then the song shows up in center of screen? Then you arrow right to select “browse”. Then you arrow down to select your station. Or go to “utility” on right and create station.

No button like that on my remote.
6C2CDBC6-53BA-4921-A9EC-D5A5F2B18833.png
6C2CDBC6-53BA-4921-A9EC-D5A5F2B18833.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis