Looking for a decent portable Bluetooth speaker (for my mom)

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Not sure if Audioholics is the place for this question. Considering i've had really good suggestions here for my system, thought i'd give it a shot first.

This is for my mom, so small, portable and ease of use is what I need. Nothing fancy. Mostly for use when working in kitchen, painting, ect.
  • Prefer accurate reproduction without distorting.
  • Good vocals.
  • Decent battery life (Prefer > 4 hrs).
  • Crazy bass is not really priority here.
  • Preferably below 150$.
  • Nice to have some external connectivity for music (USB Perhaps).
I did hear JBL Xtreme, it played loud in an open space in the showroom. But the emphasis on bass distorted the music quite a bit.
Also heard the JBL Go, for the really small size it played surprisingly quite well, and unlike Xtreme it did not distort the music. But it doesn't play loud enough. I need something with a bit more loudness.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
If you’re looking for something simple and easy, have you considered an Amazon Echo? The speaker is pretty good considering the standard form factor, and the voice enablement makes it really easy to play whatever you feel like at a moment’s notice without reaching for your phone. If you don’t want Alexa, I like the UE Boom line of speakers. Good price, good sound and you can pair two if you ever want a stereo effect or to use at a larger party

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
What other choices do i have?

Also, How is RBH's sidekick?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't own one so I can't measure the loudness with a phone app, but perhaps tomorrow I can swing by my KEF dealer and try. I have never heard even a hint of distortion at any level! That's something ask the reviews seem to mention.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Looks really good. Will try to hear it if i can get a demo back here.
How loud can it play ? Does it distort at full volume ?

Price-wise, a bit too expensive at 200
Select the "Brilliant Rose" color as Ken Said - it is only $150

carl_park

carl_park

Audiophyte
Someone mentioned here UE Boom. I'm using one of them, to be precise, UE Boom 2. You definitely try this one. I think that will be completely for all needs of your mother. I'm pretty satisfied with it because you can get great sound for reasonable price.

A

al9107

Audiophyte
I'm a current JBL flip user (used to own the flip 3 but I've since upgraded it to the flip 4) and am loving it. Vocals are clear and there's little distortion (I've only experienced this when i'm playing songs with a lot of highs at max volume). Battery life is decent too!
But if you'd like to consider a smart speaker, perhaps check out the Lenovo Smart Display. The 8" one goes for around $150 and is a nice addition for a kitchen. I use the 10" in my kitchen for both playing music and as a kitchen assistant too. It has a recipe help function where it reads out recipes to me - very useful I'd say. And I get to set timers without touching my phone. The audio on this isn't the best of course, but decent enough for me to enjoy some tunes while I'm cooking or near the kitchen.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Not sure if Audioholics is the place for this question. Considering i've had really good suggestions here for my system, thought i'd give it a shot first.

This is for my mom, so small, portable and ease of use is what I need. Nothing fancy. Mostly for use when working in kitchen, painting, ect.
  • Prefer accurate reproduction without distorting.
  • Good vocals.
  • Decent battery life (Prefer > 4 hrs).
  • Crazy bass is not really priority here.
  • Preferably below 150$.
  • Nice to have some external connectivity for music (USB Perhaps).
I did hear JBL Xtreme, it played loud in an open space in the showroom. But the emphasis on bass distorted the music quite a bit.
Also heard the JBL Go, for the really small size it played surprisingly quite well, and unlike Xtreme it did not distort the music. But it doesn't play loud enough. I need something with a bit more loudness.
What did you end up going with? Any long term update?

I purchased the JBL Charge 4 but the sound is not so great. I'm leaning towards the KEF MUO as well.

Thanks!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
With the holiday sale pricing at $149 and the new color options, the KEF Muo is incredible!

I've heard them and am thinking of gifting a couple. BTW, I do own one of the matching auxillary batteries. That thing can charge my Google Pixel phone from less than 10% charge to 100% in about 45 minutes! It'll run the Muo for hours.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
With the holiday sale pricing at $149 and the new color options, the KEF Muo is incredible!

I've heard them and am thinking of gifting a couple. BTW, I do own one of the matching auxillary batteries. That thing can charge my Google Pixel phone from less than 10% charge to 100% in about 45 minutes! It'll run the Muo for hours.
Nice!
1575466931857.png

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
What did you end up going with? Any long term update?

I purchased the JBL Charge 4 but the sound is not so great. I'm leaning towards the KEF MUO as well.

Thanks!
I ended up getting the RBH sidekick. Fantastic for the size. The mid range is better than most Bluetooth speakers that I have heard.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, the JBL Charge 3 meets all your desires. The bass is adjustable. There's a reason it's the leading portable speaker out there. I've paired mine to my iPhone running iTunes and the music sounds great, indoors or out. It's a very high quality product.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis