Linn Kan - Can Someone tell me why they sound so amazing

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
OK damnit, I just had a friend over and we tried out some old/new bookshelf speakers he just got and holy crap the detail, the realism is almost here. We can't remove the cloth covers and no model number on back but they are small and quite heavy. here are a few pix. They out performed my reference speakers I very sadly say

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK damnit, I just had a friend over and we tried out some old/new bookshelf speakers he just got and holy crap the detail, the realism is almost here. We can't remove the cloth covers and no model number on back but they are small and quite heavy. here are a few pix. They out performed my reference speakers I very sadly say
Probably because you like colored sound.

I can tell they are early Mk1 Linn Kan speakers.

These are considered clones of the famous BBC LS35/a monitor speaker.

Linn were never licensed to produce an LS35/a monitor speaker. Chartwell were licensed. Linn bought LS35/a cabinets out of the Chartwell bankruptcy. They retained the later version of the Bextrene coned KEF B110 but did not get the later version of the KEF T 27 tweeter, nor the crossovers which were complex.

They substituted a Hiquphon tweeter and built a simple crossover, that did not properly address the rising response of the Bextrene cones. The tweeter was backed off to reduce the resulting brightness.

Despite this the speaker has always had a large fan club. This speaker was soon redesigned and turned into a rear ported reflex, with a glass fiber woofer manufactured by Linn.

The speaker you site is definitely the LS35/a knock off and by all accounts not an accurate one.

You can read the story here in Martin Colloms reappraisal of the BBC LS35/a classic speaker.

Tell your friend to enjoy them while he can. Those Bextrene cones are starting to crack in increasing numbers due to age.

B

buzshaws

Audiophyte
Searching under Linn brought me here and to this topic. Very disheartening to see Morgan Audio’s enthusiasm for a fantastic musical speaker kind of...definitely crapped on. Though it was often compared to, and admittedly gave a nod at best, I don’t believe the Kan was ever claimed by Linn to be a BBC monitor clone. It’s a darn nice little speaker system none the less. Colored? Lol, some of most enjoyable and well reputed equipment, tube, solid state, or otherwise can be said to be colored and many fine speakers have that characteristic are renowned because of their signature. Studio monitors are sometimes but seldom used in home listening environments. Few hi-fi speakers are “monitors”, and that’s not by accident.

I’ve had my radar on Kan mkII’s and hope to have one day given the right pair. I’ve been a fan since 1989 and they still call to me. They’re remarkable and legendary in the Linn stable, one of their best achievements. Those not fond of Linn are often eager for it to be known for some reason. That’s fine, if you’re asked (given this thread was started more in the spirit of appreciating the Kan).

Probably because you like colored sound.
Not sure what that’s in the spirit of ;)

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Searching under Linn brought me here and to this topic. Very disheartening to see Morgan Audio’s enthusiasm for a fantastic musical speaker kind of...definitely crapped on. Though it was often compared to, and admittedly gave a nod at best, I don’t believe the Kan was ever claimed by Linn to be a BBC monitor clone. It’s a darn nice little speaker system none the less. Colored? Lol, some of most enjoyable and well reputed equipment, tube, solid state, or otherwise can be said to be colored and many fine speakers have that characteristic are renowned because of their signature. Studio monitors are sometimes but seldom used in home listening environments. Few hi-fi speakers are “monitors”, and that’s not by accident.

I’ve had my radar on Kan mkII’s and hope to have one day given the right pair. I’ve been a fan since 1989 and they still call to me. They’re remarkable and legendary in the Linn stable, one of their best achievements. Those not fond of Linn are often eager for it to be known for some reason. That’s fine, if you’re asked (given this thread was started more in the spirit of appreciating the Kan).

Not sure what that’s in the spirit of ;)
This thread is over 4 years old... lol.

We're well aware that some people prefer colored sound over accurate and there's nothing wrong with that. Most of us here are after accuracy tho and an even response across the frequency band. Like them or not, Linn speakers are not known for their accuracy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We're well aware some people prefer colored sound...as in we're well aware some people are just casual pedestrian listeners and don't get what it means to appreciate accuracy?
It means some people prefer colored sound... it's just a fact. Tube amps, vinyl, Linn speakers... etc. Not entirely accurate, but still pleasant to some ears. I prefer neutrality. Sorry it offends you, ha ha.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

That's what I meant. I'm not much for name calling and making a big deal out of general statements tho so I'll leave it at that. You enjoy your thing there. LOL

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
It means some people prefer colored sound... it's just a fact. Tube amps, vinyl, Linn speakers... etc. Not entirely accurate, but still pleasant to some ears. I prefer neutrality. Sorry it offends you, ha ha.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

That's what I meant. I'm not much for name calling and making a big deal out of general statements tho so I'll leave it at that. You enjoy your thing there. LOL
You been thinking about your response for a while now. Have trouble sleeping? lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You been thinking about your response for a while now. Have trouble sleeping? lol
Not a lot, really. I just saw it this morning. Watched a movie last night and woke up to 23 notifications this morning. That's just one of a half dozen or so replies I made after making a cup of coffee.

And yes, I had trouble sleeping. I broke my arm the other day and haven't been sleeping very well at all the last 2 nights. Just a steady ache, and when I do manage to get to sleep and I move it hurts like hell and jolts me awake. Thank you for asking tho! If you really care I started a thread about it to help kill the time while I was waiting to be seen at the clinic the day it happened...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a missing post! The one I quoted is gone now! I deleted most of the garbage he said when I quoted it and kept it simple.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, for sure. He quoted me last night with a bunch of name calling and insults, which I edited out, and that was my reply. It has since been deleted, I'm assuming by the author because it was a real shitpost and I think he changed his mind.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, for sure. He quoted me last night with a bunch of name calling and insults, which I edited out, and that was my reply. It has since been deleted, I'm assuming by the author because it was a real shitpost and I think he changed his mind.
Yeah, that was a headscratcher for certain. I saw it, looked at the timing of the initial exchange, shook my d@mn head. To reply with insult after 10 mos was kinda silly.
Oh well.
I don’t mind thread-surrection so much if it’s a relevant question or comment on the OP. If it’s really a new question, even if mildly related, always better to start a new thread IMO.
*shrugs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that was a headscratcher for certain. I saw it, looked at the timing of the initial exchange, shook my d@mn head. To reply with insult after 10 mos was kinda silly.
Oh well.
I don’t mind thread-surrection so much if it’s a relevant question or comment on the OP. If it’s really a new question, even if mildly related, always better to start a new thread IMO.
*shrugs
I couldn't figure out what @charmerci was getting at, then I looked up and the post I quoted was gone. I swear I didn't wait ten months to reply! :oops:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I couldn't figure out what @charmerci was getting at, then I looked up and the post I quoted was gone. I swear I didn't wait ten months to reply! :oops:
No, you took dud(e)'s post down to like an eighth of its content. I woulda just quoted the whole thing. Pretty surprised after 10 mos to see a reply just to bash AH and you. He's the one that had problem sleeping, I think! :p
Almost like he's working his way through a little black book of perceived slights and finally got to May 2020.
Top 10 Bemused GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, sure there was a missing post... Maybe it's those drugs or the pain talking? ;)

(I kid, I kid. I saw his post that you responded to and marked it as dumb)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people think Linn tt's are the shiznit, too.....

Char is now sharing his sub wisdom with Kingnoob in another thread: "Actually, you'd be surprised at how much bass that most people hear and love comes from 50-80 hz. Below that is mostly things rattling in your room. "

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Some people think Linn tt's are the shiznit, too.....

Char is now sharing his sub wisdom with Kingnoob in another thread: "Actually, you'd be surprised at how much bass that most people hear and love comes from 50-80 hz. Below that is mostly things rattling in your room. "
Yeah, I saw that and just shook my head.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis