jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Started a new project. I have been intrigued by GR Research kits for a while, and I wanted something smaller to replace my LS50's on my desk. Will be strictly nearfield listening. I would like to get back to a majority of DIY for the stuff on my desk top (Computer, speakers, amplifier). Would have spent less money if I ordered the prefab flat pack boxes, but I want to redo my subwoofer box as well so I ordered a new router, bought a sheet of MDF and got to work. Plus I just need the practice.

The parts for the speakers are on order. I opted for the higher quality caps. I am actually considering ordering like value budget cross over components from parts express so I can assemble a budget cross over and an expensive crossover to see if the difference is really that dramatic, I dunno though. The drivers are inexpensive enough that I may also just build a second set for work with the cheaper crossover.

I have a DAC/HPA that also acts as a preamp, that routes into my subwoofer. The subwoofer sends the highpass signal to my DIY ICE power stereo amp, then to the speakers. I will probably highpass them to 100hz. Sub is an 8inch Dayton with a Dayton amplifier.

Will probably do DIY room treatment next.

On to the pictures.

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Started a new project. I have been intrigued by GR Research kits for a while, and I wanted something smaller to replace my LS50's on my desk. Will be strictly nearfield listening. I would like to get back to a majority of DIY for the stuff on my desk top (Computer, speakers, amplifier). Would have spent less money if I ordered the prefab flat pack boxes, but I want to redo my subwoofer box as well so I ordered a new router, bought a sheet of MDF and got to work. Plus I just need the practice.

The parts for the speakers are on order. I opted for the higher quality caps. I am actually considering ordering like value budget cross over components from parts express so I can assemble a budget cross over and an expensive crossover to see if the difference is really that dramatic, I dunno though. The drivers are inexpensive enough that I may also just build a second set for work with the cheaper crossover.

I have a DAC/HPA that also acts as a preamp, that routes into my subwoofer. The subwoofer sends the highpass signal to my DIY ICE power stereo amp, then to the speakers. I will probably highpass them to 100hz. Sub is an 8inch Dayton with a Dayton amplifier.

Will probably do DIY room treatment next.

On to the pictures.
What are the higher quality caps you re referring to? Don't spend too much money on caps, the polypropylene ones will do the job. The Solen brand which Parts-Express sells are excellent. I use them in the passive crossovers that I build.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
The kit comes with higher quality components. It is a single 3" wide band driver with a "filter" designed for the enclosure. I use the term higher quality lightly as I am still in the skeptical camp about how much benefit I'll get from "sonicaps" and "mills" resistors. You don't get the cross over schematic unless you buy the kit though. The smaller cabinet build fit perfectly for what I was looking for, so I just decided to take the plunge hoping these speakers aren't a step down from my KEFs.

Plus this is an opportunity for me to actually test the higher quality components myself, see if it is something I want to invest more in for future builds, etc.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The kit comes with higher quality components. It is a single 3" wide band driver with a "filter" designed for the enclosure. I use the term higher quality lightly as I am still in the skeptical camp about how much benefit I'll get from "sonicaps" and "mills" resistors. You don't get the cross over schematic unless you buy the kit though. The smaller cabinet build fit perfectly for what I was looking for, so I just decided to take the plunge hoping these speakers aren't a step down from my KEFs.

Plus this is an opportunity for me to actually test the higher quality components myself, see if it is something I want to invest more in for future builds, etc.
Interesting looking driver. Inexpensive, but probably very good for a small desktop speaker. Nice looking cabinets too.

I always encourage anyone who takes on a DIY speaker project. So I can't pour cold water on your idea of comparing two different filters where one is made with 'budget' caps & resistors and the other is made with higher cost parts. Go ahead and do it. But don't be surprised if you end up confused whether or not there is any sound quality benefit. That's what to expect if differences are too small to reliably detect. Essentially, that means there are no audible differences.

Years ago, when I was first getting into DIY speaker building, I participated in a fairly large blind listening test of premium vs. budget capacitors in speakers. Some 40 listeners were asked if they could hear differences between them. Overall, there were more than 400 individual blind comparisons, and the results were 50-50, no better than random guessing. As long as the capacitors actually had the capacitance values specified in the crossover design, no one could reliably hear differences. Later, similar tests were done with resistors, again with the same results.

Now, I always use those inexpensive metalized polypropylene caps sold by Parts Express or Madisound. With the Parts Express caps, the 5% tolerance caps are just as good as the more expensive 1% caps. If I can't find the capacitance values I need, I look for Solen or Audyn Q4 caps. But I never pay higher prices than those. With resistors, I always get the inexpensive ones sold by Parts Express or Madisound.

These higher cost caps & resistors are really no more than higher profit for the vendor.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The only reason why you might want to use premium cost capacitors is if you intend to sell the speakers after building them. There will be potential buyers who may turn up their noses at speakers if they weren't built with premium cost caps & resistors.

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Well like I said before, I share your skepticism in the benefit I will get from the higher end crossover components; however, this kit is only sold with the higher end stuff, and I ordered it as a kit. There were a couple of factors helping my decision.
1. I got used to my KEF's so I wanted a single point source driver,
2. I wanted small,
3. Even if he preaches heavily about the higher end components (you should hear him talk about "tube connectors") Danny Richie's crossover/speaker designs are usually highly respected in the high end audio community.

This is one of his lowest priced kits, and it fit the bill perfectly for my use case. His crossover schematics aren't posted anywhere on the site, so I am assuming he will ship those as part of the kit. If I searched, I could probably find a schematic for that kit online and save quite a bit purchasing the more inexpensive components, but I like to support American companies, and I like the small business feel he has.

Plus it will make good youtube content when I have my son do blind listening tests with the expensive crossover, and the cheap crossover. I just gotta decide if I really want to build a second set. Guess I will have to finish the first one to decide if it is worth it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will it really make meaningful youtube content without a really structured comparison? Just what sort of "blind" do you have in mind? Just because Danny's nuttiness is respected in "high end audio community" doesn't mean much especially due all the nonsense those communities tend to harbor in the first place.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Heh, explain what "meaningful" youtube content is... I make videos as a way to bond with my son and daughter. I use audio as my subject because it is something that interests me. I don't have any delusions of becoming an influencer, nor do I pretend my content is in anyway scientific, nor do I have any sort of regular posting schedule. I just do a project with my kids every now and again. Possibly my bad as I can see how the term "good youtube content" can be ambiguous. I would argue "meaningful" is just as ambiguous as it will have a great deal of personal meaning to me. As far as the blind test, I would hook up both speakers. Play one and the other, see if he can tell a difference. I don't know exactly how much work I would put into it, as there is not really going to be anything scientific about it with only one subject anyway. It would be a fun afternoon though.

As far as Danny Richie goes, when I said he was respected in the high end audio community, I was specifically referring to his speaker design. As in driver design, crossover design, cabinet, etc. If I mentioned the name Dennis Murphy, I don't think anyone one this forum would have issue with it. When Danny Richie designs his stuff he talks about BSL, time/phase coherence, driver perimeters, backs everything up with endless measurements. All stuff that should go into speaker design, even if he is eccentric about component "quality". There were several kits I was looking at from parts express, madisound, etc. This was the kit that interested me the most.

I think Swerd hit an awesome point to, if I decide I want to sell these later on, "GR Research" means a little bit on Audiogon, I might get a couple extra bucks. My woodworking ability on the other had might subtract from that. :p

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Starting the primer...
This is the point where I normally lose patience and rush things. Trying to take it slower this time.
Also started on my new subwoofer enclosure. Special thanks to Annunaki's 13 year old volume calculator pinned to the top of this forum. ;)

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis