Let's Talk Auto-Setup...To Audyssey or not to Audyssey?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I find Audyssey a mixed blessing/curse. The Dynamic EQ (volume leveling/television commercial volume compression/normalization) function which is almost a must for watching TV seems to destroy the dynamics in music. Pure/direct mode on the receiver doesn't cut it for me either because I want to hear my subs. I find myself using audyssey for watching TV and then turning it off for music and movies. They need to add an "EQ on but volume leveling off" button.
Whoa. So Dynamic EQ is not defeatable when using MultEQ XT??

Thanks.

BTW, I know that M Code believes that Dolby Volume is superior to Audyssey's version of the tech, and therefore that little feature could swing my processor choice if I was stuck between two candidates.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I find Audyssey a mixed blessing/curse. The Dynamic EQ (volume leveling/television commercial volume compression/normalization) function which is almost a must for watching TV seems to destroy the dynamics in music. Pure/direct mode on the receiver doesn't cut it for me either because I want to hear my subs. I find myself using audyssey for watching TV and then turning it off for music and movies. They need to add an "EQ on but volume leveling off" button.
I agree, sholling; I don't run any TV programming through my AVR (I use it only and strictly for processing surround codecs sent via bitstream from my Blu-ray player, and for sending video from the player through to my display) but I'm uncertain about the results I get from the auto setup and EQ routine...

Do you have any feelings on those?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Whoa. So Dynamic EQ is not defeatable when using MultEQ XT??
I meant Dynamic Volume and I honestly don't know if it's defeatable but I sent Onkyo support and Audyssey an email to ask them. If there is a way I haven't found it and I suspect that it just never occurred to anybody that it was necessary. With my 906 you have the choice of MultiEQ, manual EQ and Dynamic EQ, 2 degrees of Dynamic Volume or no EQ. Since it's something you have to dig through menus to get at it makes sense that Onkyo would enable all Audyssey functions with MultiEQ engaged. My 707 gives you even fewer choices, MultiEQ, manual, or no EQ. And of course my 606 has even fewer choices. Anyway I may be totally off bass but it seems like I lose dynamics with Audyssey enabled.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis