Let's Talk Auto-Setup...To Audyssey or not to Audyssey?

S

sptrout

Audioholic
1. With the Denon 5308 & AVP-A1, it doesn't sound differently from Pure Direct at all. So I'm thinking, why bother if it sounds identical?:eek:

2. Yes, all of my sounda, including DD, DTS, TrueHD, & DTS-HD MA, DSD SACD, & DVD-A, are in Pure Direct mode.

3. The only time I ever use any kind of EQ is when the SQ sucks - like in my car.:D
1. Pure Direct, if it is the same as other AVRs (this seems to vary to a degree), then bass management and other digital processing functions, including Audyssey, are turned off. If the speakers and the room acoustics are flat then Audyssey would not do much of anything, with the possible exception of the bass. With your speakers, probably nothing much needs to be done there either.

2. Again, if you do not need bass management because your speakers are all full range, then Pure Direct is fine. How does your system handle speaker distance settings BTW?

3. Yea, but your HT system costs as much as most folks cars:D.

I agree that with systems at your level of costs and capabilities, not to mention your personal HT engineering capability, then you can get away with how you are running your system. However, for most people with more limited system capabilities, and the typical lack of personal HT engineering capability, then auto setup routines including Audyssey helps us poor folks achieve a much better system than older systems that were strictly fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants when setting them up.

It seems to me that you should be careful when replying to questions in that your answers should fit the capabilites of the poster's system (whoever that may be) and not necessarily that your setup is a best for all solution.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
1. Sure, nothing wrong with setting the basic stuff manually, we use to have no choice. That is one reason it is no big deal to me if the distance setting, for example, is off a couple feet. Change it. In reality, you would probaby never know the diffence anyway.
Indeed, with distance, while important for the delay in effects throughout all channels in relation to the primary listening position, it really wouldn't make all that much difference if we're off a couple of feet...

I use to have a Samsung P1400 Blu-ray player connected via analog cables to a Denon 3300. When using analog inputs of older AVRs, the audio completely bypasses all digital processing including bass management; off loading this to the source of the audio. The P1400 analog bass management was real basic; your only option was to specify the number of speakers and if they were large or small (which meant only a 100Hz crossover setting for all speakers). Notice a couple things missing? No distance settings, or 10-15dB LFE level boost. What a pain; wrong crossover frequencies and no distance settings and nothing I could do about it except live with it or replace the AVR (I did) and later the player.
I understand -- I had a similar if not exact situation before I got my OPPO BDP-83 BD player. I had a first generation Panasonic player that didn't bitstream TrueHD nor did it do Master Audio at all, so I was forced, over HDMI, to send the TrueHD signals as decoded-in-the-player PCM tracks to my Onkyo 605, where it was "processed" as multichannel audio...now, ordinarily, sending a decoded signal from a source deck like this would mean that the player is doing not only decoding, but distances, time alignment, channel level balance, etc...only because these were still digital signals coming down an HDMI connection, my 605 actually still "processed" it with bass management and all via the AVR's "MULTICHANNEL" listening mode. If I used DIRECT when playing these decoded PCM tracks, I would supposedly lose bass management and internal applications for distance, calibration, etc.

In a nutshell, I couldn't wait to get a player that bitstreamed the new codecs, just to make life easier -- and I finally got (as a holiday gift last year no less) the OPPO BDP-83.

2. Well, again up until a few years ago we had the tape measure and that was what we used. According to Audyssey there is a better way. Will a person notice the difference???
What do you mean "according to Audyssey there is a better way" -- do you mean they feel they can do the measuring for us?

3. Audyssey measures the frequency response of each speaker and reports its findings to the AVR which then decides what crossover frequencies to use. This really PO's the Audyssey folks since many manufacturers screw this up. Hopefully, newer models are finally getting it right.
Indeed...

Remember that Audyssey measures the frequency response down to the -3dB point and does its EQ'ing thing only down to that frequency. Therefore, if you set your crossovers below that point you will be out of Audyssey's EQ range into never never land.
LOL...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Well, with other receivers, I find the sound from Room Corrections to sound "congested" or something.
That's how I felt about the adjustments 2EQ made to my system -- I chalked it up to the EQ curve it set, rolling off the highs...

With the Denon 5308 & AVP-A1, it doesn't sound differently from Pure Direct at all. So I'm thinking, why bother if it sounds identical?:eek:
You mean Pure Direct vs. DTS or Dolby Digital, etc? That's strange...

Although in Pure Direct, the soundtracks should be coming off the discs and played as-is, right?

And if we look at all the measurements done on Home Theater Mag or Audioholics, we see that they are done in Direct Mode for the Cleanest Best Possible sound.
I have been following Home Theater's reviews for quite a few years (I'm a loyal subscriber) and was under the impression that they ran their AVRs and processors in whatever mode the soundtrack called for -- i.e. DTS, Dolby...

Yes, all of my sounda, including DD, DTS, TrueHD, & DTS-HD MA, DSD SACD, & DVD-A, are in Pure Direct mode.
That answered my question above...:eek:

The only time I ever use any kind of EQ is when the SQ sucks - like in my car.:D
LOL -- I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been fiddling with my '08 Camry SE's JBL system since I got the car, attempting to adjust bass, treble and midrange just right, and I can't seem to get it "perfect;" I ended up trying some settings that some guy who owns a new Lexus LS Sport posted up on a Lexus enthusiast site for his Mark Levinson system (JBL/Mark Levinson is a Harmon (Harman?) Group subdivision) as I thought it could apply to my JBL's quite well...he suggested Treble: +1, Midrange: +2 and Bass: +3, and claimed that set this way, it was "easily the car equivalent of a high-end home component system." I figured, what the heck...

But I know what you mean about car vs. home -- at home, whether on the home theater or two channel system, I don't need any tone enhancements (I keep bass and treble on flat for the two channel system) yet in the car, leaving all controls at "0" (flat) doesn't give enough punch. I wish I could apply the "flat controls on ALL audio systems!" philosophy to the car, but...I always end up going back to jacking up the tone controls there...

The SQ from my Home Theater System sounds great, and EQs from my 5308 & AVP-A1 make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Hmmm...you mean when the EQ is engaged on your Denon vs. when you have it OFF?

Last edited:
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I agree that with systems at your level of costs and capabilities, not to mention your personal HT engineering capability, then you can get away with how you are running your system. However, for most people with more limited system capabilities, and the typical lack of personal HT engineering capability, then auto setup routines including Audyssey helps us poor folks achieve a much better system than older systems that were strictly fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants when setting them up.
But it's not really "fly by the seat of your pants" when we discuss the classic adjustments of distance, channel levels, etc. -- perhaps modern EQ and room correction techniques have improved upon conditions that used to exist, but in terms of just basic distance settings and crossovers, things like that, we're talking about just setting these parameters ourselves versus letting an auto calibration routine take over. I don't think I need the system, necessarily, to set my physical distances (save for the sub, for those electronic askews) and crossover points -- all of which I can dial in myself.

It seems to me that you should be careful when replying to questions in that your answers should fit the capabilites of the poster's system (whoever that may be) and not necessarily that your setup is a best for all solution.
In all fairness, I was just asking him for his opinions on these matters, and how they affected his system and room and such; I didn't take it so much as a "this is how it's supposed to be" angle. At any rate, I am glad we can all discuss this!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well, with other receivers, I find the sound from Room Corrections to sound "congested" or something.

With the Denon 5308 & AVP-A1, it doesn't sound differently from Pure Direct at all. So I'm thinking, why bother if it sounds identical?:eek:

And if we look at all the measurements done on Home Theater Mag or Audioholics, we see that they are done in Direct Mode for the Cleanest Best Possible sound.
Any test of any audio product will have EQ defeated, for obvious reasons. Except perhaps the reviews of the EQ techs themselves.

Yes, all of my sounda, including DD, DTS, TrueHD, & DTS-HD MA, DSD SACD, & DVD-A, are in Pure Direct mode.

The only time I ever use any kind of EQ is when the SQ sucks - like in my car.:D

The SQ from my Home Theater System sounds great, and EQs from my 5308 & AVP-A1 make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
So which target curve(s) sounded identical? Or did all of them sound identical? :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's how I felt about the adjustments 2EQ made to my system -- I chalked it up to the EQ curve it set, rolling off the highs...

Yeah, the EQ made it sound "compressed" on my other AVRs.

You mean Pure Direct vs. DTS or Dolby Digital, etc? That's strange...

Although in Pure Direct, the soundtracks should be coming off the discs and played as-is, right?

I have been following Home Theater's reviews for quite a few years (I'm a loyal subscriber) and was under the impression that they ran their AVRs and processors in whatever mode the soundtrack called for -- i.e. DTS, Dolby...
Yeah, notice how they say "In Direct Mode".

Hmmm...you mean when the EQ is engaged on your Denon vs. when you have it OFF?
Yeah, when EQ is engaged (Audyssey & NOT in Direct Mode) vs when EQ is turned off (Pure Direct), the sound is the SAME on my 5308 & AVP-A1.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Yeah, the EQ made it sound "compressed" on my other AVRs.
This seems to be the sentiment of almost every Audyssey user...

Yeah, notice how they say "In Direct Mode".
I'll take closer notice and report back...

Yeah, when EQ is engaged (Audyssey & NOT in Direct Mode) vs when EQ is turned off (Pure Direct), the sound is the SAME on my 5308 & AVP-A1.
??? :confused:

S

sptrout

Audioholic
This seems to be the sentiment of almost every Audyssey user...

??? :confused:
I do not believe that most Audyssey users dislike the results. Far and away, if you follow the long AVS Audssey thread, most do, however the improvement is mostly in the LFE/bass areas and that only applies to the higher levels of Audyssey. In any case that horse has been beat to death in this thread, either a person likes it or they don't.

Be careful when someone mentions Pure/Direct or Pure, or Direct Modes. Different manufacturers do these differently and if can become real confusing when trying to compare across product lines. Onkyo products, at least of XX5 vintage, do not have a Pure/Direct mode. Instead they separate these into two different modes. With the 805, Direct bypasses almost all digital processing including bass management, Audyssey, and all other modes that would require digital processing. "Pure" Mode is "Direct" plus it turns-off the front display and the video processor (which in my case I do not use anyway). I believe the 605 just has the direct mode if I read its manual correctly (the manual says one thing in the audio modes description; direct only, but shows both modes in the tables that are provided). Easy enough to test; does any audio mode turn off the 605's display?

Denon, and I believe I have read that other manufacturers may also, has what they call Pure/Direct. AcuDefTechGuy mentions (if I understand his comment correctly) that it is possible with his Denon to be in Pure/Direct Mode and have still have Audyssey in play. If I am understanding this correctly, I am surprised that this would be allowed since Audyssey does require digital processing which would defeat the purpose of Pure/Direct in the first place. However, like I said, I may have misunderstood his comment and although I used to have a Denon AVR it only had a Direct mode and it did bypass all digital processing when in that mode.

Long story, but with Onkyo products, if you engage either Pure or Direct Modes, the AVR will kill bass management (almost always a very bad thing) and all other post decoded digital audio processing; Audyssey and all the other audio modes. Therefore, I would never recommend using Direct or Pure audio modes with a Onkyo product if for no other reason than that the bass management system is turned off, which would then require full range speakers on all channels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So which target curve(s) sounded identical? Or did all of them sound identical? :rolleyes:
I only cared about the Flat Target Curve since I assume that is the most "accurate" curve.

And this Flat Curve EQ sounded identical to me when compared to Pure Direct Mode (w/ Audyssey/EQ turned off).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With other AVRs I've seen, Room Corrections (Flat Curve) caused the sound to be "congested" or "compressed".

However, with the Denon 5308 & AVP-A1, the Room Corrections (Flat Curve) sounded identical to Pure Direct Mode (with Audyssey/EQ completely turned off). In other words, the SQ did not change in this example. Thus, I prefer to use Pure Direct since EQ would theoretically cause increased "measured" distortion & noise.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy mentions (if I understand his comment correctly) that it is possible with his Denon to be in Pure/Direct Mode and have still have Audyssey in play.
No, with Pure Direct Mode, Audyssey is turned off automatically.

Every single EQ/DSP is turned off automatcially in Pure Direct/Direct Mode.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
No, with Pure Direct Mode, Audyssey is turned off automatically.

Every single EQ/DSP is turned off automatcially in Pure Direct/Direct Mode.
Thanks, that is what I thought was the case. Do you happen to have an idea why Denon, and I believe some others, use the term Pure/Direct Mode instead of just Pure? Seems redundant, but there must be some reason they use it. Maybe just to differentiate newer model capabilities vs. older vintages that were less capable with this specific option??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, that is what I thought was the case. Do you happen to have an idea why Denon, and I believe some others, use the term Pure/Direct Mode instead of just Pure? Seems redundant, but there must be some reason they use it. Maybe just to differentiate newer model capabilities vs. older vintages that were less capable with this specific option??
The only difference between Pure Direct vs Direct is that the LCD & OSD are shut off in Pure Direct.

With most AVRs, Pure Direct also cuts off all Video Circuits. However, on the 5308/AVP-A1, the HDMI video is not turned off, but all other videos are turned off in Pure Direct.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
The only difference between Pure Direct vs Direct is that the LCD & OSD are shut off in Pure Direct.

With most AVRs, Pure Direct also cuts off all Video Circuits. However, on the 5308/AVP-A1, the HDMI video is not turned off, but all other videos are turned off in Pure Direct.
That's makes sense to me! Seems like Denon's Pure/Direct and Onkyo's Pure (in the 805 at least) are the same; all digital audio processing, OSD, AVR's display, and video processor are all off (HDMI straight pass-through). Direct is the same with both brands, audio processing is highly limited, all else stays the same.

You probably never had a reason to read an 805 Manual, but you would never guess by its description of Direct and Pure that they are so closely related. The description for Direct is correct, but the description for Pure just says it turns off the display and video processor, making no reference to the fact that it also does everything that Direct does. Pure/Direct is a better description, or Onkyo should have just written that Pure does everything that Direct does plus......

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
First of all, 'trout, did you get my PM?

I do not believe that most Audyssey users dislike the results. Far and away, if you follow the long AVS Audssey thread, most do, however the improvement is mostly in the LFE/bass areas and that only applies to the higher levels of Audyssey. In any case that horse has been beat to death in this thread, either a person likes it or they don't.
I didn't mean to suggest that most AVR/processor owners that boast possession of products featuring Audyssey are not satisfied -- merely that from what I have read, many experience the same "blanket over the speakers" effect that I have, based on the EQ curve it sets at certain points. Of course, as pointed out, the more advanced versions of the system's algorithms are taking into account many more factors and adjusting to them, so perhaps the broad stroke of painting every Audyssey user into that corner was incorrect.

Be careful when someone mentions Pure/Direct or Pure, or Direct Modes. Different manufacturers do these differently and if can become real confusing when trying to compare across product lines. Onkyo products, at least of XX5 vintage, do not have a Pure/Direct mode. Instead they separate these into two different modes. With the 805, Direct bypasses almost all digital processing including bass management, Audyssey, and all other modes that would require digital processing. "Pure" Mode is "Direct" plus it turns-off the front display and the video processor (which in my case I do not use anyway). I believe the 605 just has the direct mode if I read its manual correctly (the manual says one thing in the audio modes description; direct only, but shows both modes in the tables that are provided). Easy enough to test; does any audio mode turn off the 605's display?
I will double check this and get back to you -- I know my 8555 stereo receiver has both a Direct and Pure Direct option, with Pure Direct shutting off the receiver's display panel.

From what I learned at AVS in their ridiculously long thread on the Panasonic DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player (when I had one), when using Onkyo's "Multichannel" listening mode and the receiver takes incoming audio signals over HDMI or multichannel analog inputs, this mode allows for full bass management with set distances, trim levels, etc., even though a source deck may be doing the decoding of TrueHD, etc (such as my BD10A was)...when DIRECT mode is used on the Onkyos, this bypasses the tone controls and all other applications so that the signal is played "as is" from the source -- when I tried flipping back and forth between these two listening modes, I don't recall hearing much difference, which I thought was weird...

Denon, and I believe I have read that other manufacturers may also, has what they call Pure/Direct. AcuDefTechGuy mentions (if I understand his comment correctly) that it is possible with his Denon to be in Pure/Direct Mode and have still have Audyssey in play. If I am understanding this correctly, I am surprised that this would be allowed since Audyssey does require digital processing which would defeat the purpose of Pure/Direct in the first place. However, like I said, I may have misunderstood his comment and although I used to have a Denon AVR it only had a Direct mode and it did bypass all digital processing when in that mode.
I'm uncertain about Denon's applications, but I believe in the Onkyos, switching to one of these "pure/direct" type modes overrides Audyssey settings...

Long story, but with Onkyo products, if you engage either Pure or Direct Modes, the AVR will kill bass management (almost always a very bad thing) and all other post decoded digital audio processing; Audyssey and all the other audio modes. Therefore, I would never recommend using Direct or Pure audio modes with a Onkyo product if for no other reason than that the bass management system is turned off, which would then require full range speakers on all channels.
Indeed -- I suppose what I was trying to say in the paragraph above!

And, as I said, when I put my 605 into "MULTICHANNEL" listening mode for PCM audio tracks (I have this mode set for auto detect in the Listening Mode Setup in the receiver for incoming multichannel PCM, like on Uncompressed PCM tracks on Blu-rays), this seems to be the "correct" processing setting for such audio signals as compared to "Direct."

The only time I really fool around with these pure or direct modes is on my 8555 stereo receiver in the two channel system -- supposedly, engaging at least Direct should make audio from, say, CDs cleaner with less "junk" in the signal, but to be honest, I don't hear any difference switching between standard Stereo mode on this receiver (with bass and treble at flat) and the Pure/Direct modes. Would you recommend listening to music on my two channel system in Direct mode (when listening to CDs)?

S

sptrout

Audioholic
1.First of all, 'trout, did you get my PM?

2. From what I learned at AVS in their ridiculously long thread on the Panasonic DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player (when I had one), when using Onkyo's "Multichannel" listening mode and the receiver takes incoming audio signals over HDMI or multichannel analog inputs, this mode allows for full bass management with set distances, trim levels, etc., even though a source deck may be doing the decoding of TrueHD, etc (such as my BD10A was)...when DIRECT mode is used on the Onkyos, this bypasses the tone controls and all other applications so that the signal is played "as is" from the source -- when I tried flipping back and forth between these two listening modes, I don't recall hearing much difference, which I thought was weird...

3. I'm uncertain about Denon's applications, but I believe in the Onkyos, switching to one of these "pure/direct" type modes overrides Audyssey settings...

4. And, as I said, when I put my 605 into "MULTICHANNEL" listening mode for PCM audio tracks (I have this mode set for auto detect in the Listening Mode Setup in the receiver for incoming multichannel PCM, like on Uncompressed PCM tracks on Blu-rays), this seems to be the "correct" processing setting for such audio signals as compared to "Direct."

The only time I really fool around with these pure or direct modes is on my 8555 stereo receiver in the two channel system -- supposedly, engaging at least Direct should make audio from, say, CDs cleaner with less "junk" in the signal, but to be honest, I don't hear any difference switching between standard Stereo mode on this receiver (with bass and treble at flat) and the Pure/Direct modes. Would you recommend listening to music on my two channel system in Direct mode (when listening to CDs)?
1. Yes

2. Multichannel PCM, and Multichannel analog, are handled differently in most AVRs including Onkyo's. PCM via HDMI goes through the bass management system of the AVR where the multchannel analog does not. The clue that this is the case is buried on page 55 of your 605 Manual (and has to be translated to English:)) . A brief, and edited, version of a "note" near the top of that page says that the "Speaker Configuration settings on page 70 are ignored." Translation; the bass management system is bypassed. Really, analog inputs are "direct" by default and typically cannot be changed. The 805 Audio Listening Mode Section Charts are more clear. For multichannel analog the only listening Modes available are Pure or Direct; nothing else is selectable.

3. It certainly does; they override all digital processes except the first D to A conversion of any incoming digital source.

4. Some people prefer to listen to 2-channel sources (music) in either Direct or Pure Modes. I do not since that kills the bass management system, and Audyssey, which I do not want to do. My entire system has been optimized with bass management and Audyssey in play so it never made sense to me to change how the system operates just because I may be listening to a 2-channel source. However, I almost never listen to music only stuff (CDs, radio) so it really is a non-issue for me.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
And? No reply?

2. Multichannel PCM, and Multichannel analog, are handled differently in most AVRs including Onkyo's. PCM via HDMI goes through the bass management system of the AVR where the multchannel analog does not. The clue that this is the case is buried on page 55 of your 605 Manual (and has to be translated to English:)) . A brief, and edited, version of a "note" near the top of that page says that the "Speaker Configuration settings on page 70 are ignored." Translation; the bass management system is bypassed. Really, analog inputs are "direct" by default and typically cannot be changed. The 805 Audio Listening Mode Section Charts are more clear. For multichannel analog the only listening Modes available are Pure or Direct; nothing else is selectable.
Right -- that is so about analog multichannel vs. HDMI PCM, but on my 605, even with PCM digital signals over HDMI, the only two listening mode selections available were DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL. I tested this many times when I was sending processed PCM tracks from my first generation Panasonic player over HDMI down to the 605 (decoded TrueHD tracks, Uncompressed PCM soundtracks, etc.)...the only available listening modes were DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL. Perhaps because of what you pointed out above is why I didn't hear a difference from switching between DIRECT and MULTICHANNEL when playing back these tracks; that is, the bass management algorithm is applied to analog multichannel audio...

4. Some people prefer to listen to 2-channel sources (music) in either Direct or Pure Modes. I do not since that kills the bass management system, and Audyssey, which I do not want to do. My entire system has been optimized with bass management and Audyssey in play so it never made sense to me to change how the system operates just because I may be listening to a 2-channel source. However, I almost never listen to music only stuff (CDs, radio) so it really is a non-issue for me.
Well, I get the whole killing Audyssey by using Direct/Pure, but I'm speaking strictly with a stereo device, such as my 8555 stereo receiver -- is it "more beneficial" to run CDs in Pure Direct or Direct?

S

sptrout

Audioholic
1. And? No reply?

2. Right -- that is so about analog multichannel vs. HDMI PCM, but on my 605, even with PCM digital signals over HDMI, the only two listening mode selections available were DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL. I tested this many times when I was sending processed PCM tracks from my first generation Panasonic player over HDMI down to the 605 (decoded TrueHD tracks, Uncompressed PCM soundtracks, etc.)...the only available listening modes were DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL. Perhaps because of what you pointed out above is why I didn't hear a difference from switching between DIRECT and MULTICHANNEL when playing back these tracks; that is, the bass management algorithm is applied to analog multichannel audio...

3. Well, I get the whole killing Audyssey by using Direct/Pure, but I'm speaking strictly with a stereo device, such as my 8555 stereo receiver -- is it "more beneficial" to run CDs in Pure Direct or Direct?
1. Sorry

2. After looking at your 605 Manual again, I agree that with multichannel PCM you are limited to Direct or Multichannel. That is not the case with the 805, nearly all listening modes are available with PCM (likely more DACs in the 805)

3. "is it "more beneficial" to run CDs in Pure Direct or Direct?" This is a case of "in the eye (ear) of the beholder." It comes down to what you like. The absolute best assuming that you can do without bass management, or Audyssey, would be Pure. Many have reported that they can ear the difference between Pure and Direct, but others (like me for example) cannot. In my case maybe a hearing problem. In any case, the manufacturers are implying that turning-off the AVR's display and video processor reduces audible noise (high frequency noise I would guess). Does it? Maybe, depends on the total end-to-end audio system from the recording to the individual's ears (that comment applies to about everything in the audio portion of a HT system IMO), or may be just marketing.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Are you willing/going to respond?

2. After looking at your 605 Manual again, I agree that with multichannel PCM you are limited to Direct or Multichannel. That is not the case with the 805, nearly all listening modes are available with PCM (likely more DACs in the 805)
Indeed.

3. "is it "more beneficial" to run CDs in Pure Direct or Direct?" This is a case of "in the eye (ear) of the beholder." It comes down to what you like. The absolute best assuming that you can do without bass management, or Audyssey, would be Pure. Many have reported that they can ear the difference between Pure and Direct, but others (like me for example) cannot. In my case maybe a hearing problem. In any case, the manufacturers are implying that turning-off the AVR's display and video processor reduces audible noise (high frequency noise I would guess). Does it? Maybe, depends on the total end-to-end audio system from the recording to the individual's ears (that comment applies to about everything in the audio portion of a HT system IMO), or may be just marketing.
I agree with this; supposedly, turning off the display elements and tone controls via these modes is supposed to send a much more "pristine," "natural" signal to the speakers. As I have said, at least with my 8555, I can't really audibly detect a difference between traditional Stereo with bass and treble flat and Direct.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I find Audyssey a mixed blessing/curse. The Dynamic EQ (volume leveling/television commercial volume compression/normalization) function which is almost a must for watching TV seems to destroy the dynamics in music. Pure/direct mode on the receiver doesn't cut it for me either because I want to hear my subs. I find myself using audyssey for watching TV and then turning it off for music and movies. They need to add an "EQ on but volume leveling off" button.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis