Let's Talk Auto-Setup...To Audyssey or not to Audyssey?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Thanks for all the replies, fellas...I will reply to each of you later when I have more free time; just about out the door at the moment...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all the replies, fellas...I will reply to each of you later when I have more free time; just about out the door at the moment...
1) i'm not comfortable with your avatar, i would recommend that you replace it with something family friendly

2) consider this your warning for sending that pm to that guy. (if you have him on your ignore list, why pm him)

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Back to your basic concern, there is a reason for what you are noticing. Following is a piece of the Audyssey Setup Guide at:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=14456895&postcount=5701

You may not like the results and some folks recommend that in AVRs where you cannot change the AVR selected Audyssey curve that you manually adjust the mid to high frequency tone controls to reduce the high-end rolloff. You can do this and still leave Audyssey in play. If I remember correctly, Onkyo XX5 Series do not use the flat curve, and as you know, there is no way to select another curve.

1. MultEQ creates filters that correct the frequency response of your speakers to a specific target curve. These target curves are called: (“Audyssey” or “Audyssey Reference”) and (“Audyssey Flat”).
a. The “Audyssey” or “Audyssey Reference” target curve is designed to translate film mixing room conditions to the home listening room. This curve is flat to 4 kHz, has a slight roll-off from 4kHz - 10 kHz (-2dB @ 10 kHz), and another additional roll-off from 10 kHz - 20 kHz (-6dB @ 20 kHz). This curve should be used for listening to movies in most cases.
i. In a typical living room, the acoustical conditions require a flat curve up to a certain frequency, and then a roll-off. This roll-off allows the proper balancing of the direct and reverberant sound at high frequencies.
b. The “Audyssey Flat” target curve has no roll-off. This curve should be used for movies if you are seated in the near field, if your room has a lot of high frequency absorption due to acoustic treatments, or if you are using THX Re-EQ.
c. Audyssey research has found that listeners in most home environments are seated in the reverberant field. The mixing of most films (in post-production studios) is completed with the recording engineer seated in the near field. As a result, it is usually beneficial to use a high frequency roll-off (Audyssey or Audyssey Reference curve) to tame brightness. However, if you have an acoustically treated room and / or are seated relatively close to the front speakers, you may be located in the near field. Therefore, it may prove beneficial to try listening without a roll-off (Audyssey Flat curve) to see if there is an improvement in sound quality.

2. Re-Equalization technologies affect the target curve selection.
a. One component of THX is called Re-EQ, which applies a high frequency shelf cut filter. When listening in THX mode with Re-EQ on, it is recommended to use the “Audyssey Flat” target curve.
b. Some manufacturers have developed proprietary high frequency roll-off filters with various trade names; Denon’s “Cinema EQ”, for example. It is recommended to disable (turn off) such roll-off features so the “Audyssey” or “Audyssey Reference” target curve can operate properly.

3. The selection of Audyssey target curves is performed manually in some products (e.g. Denon, NAD, Marantz) and automatically in others (e.g., Onkyo).
a. For products with manual selection follow the guidelines above.
b. For products with automatic selection, the following rules apply:
i. The “Audyssey” or “Audyssey Reference” target curve is selected after calibration.
ii. The “Audyssey Flat” target curve is selected automatically when you switch to a THX listening mode.

4. Note: Music content is not produced with the same standards as film, so, it is difficult to predict which target curve to use. Audyssey recommends starting with the "Audyssey" or “Audyssey Reference” curve. In some cases, the "Audyssey Flat" curve might be preferable for music.
Hi sptrout. Although I am loathe to post in any thread started by the OP, I have to say that I do really enjoy it when the old skool AVS 805ers post here, including yourself and riverwolf. Now if I could just get BB over here too, that would be a massive brainiac influx. :D

Regarding the portion I boldfaced, I do believe the xx5 series can have Flat curve, but only on THX modes. I believe Chris has stated that in fact the Re-EQ setting will not alter at all the Flat curve (and that's even when Re-EQ is a THX setting to begin with).

The problem with Onkyo however, so far as I believe for most discerning consumers, is that you can no longer get Flat if outside of a THX mode. So, that includes stereo as well. I had a PM conversation a couple of years ago with nibhaz, who hasn't posted here in quite a while. It appears I have deleted the PM, but I still found what he told me he does with his version of "stereo" mode, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind me sharing it. I've never tried it myself, because my HT is always using a matrixing algorithm (except in the case of native of 7.1 tracks).

(edit: regarding RE-EQ, that setting CAN be made on top of the Reference/Audyssey/House curve. Yet another thing Onkyo/Integra owners need to be aware of.)

So with our Onkyos the only way to get the flat curve is to use a THX listening mode, the only problem is that all 3 THX music modes are based on matrix based processing schemes that turn 2.0 material into 5.1 or 7.1…which is fine for noncritical listening, but I generally prefer 2.1, so I felt kind of screwed by my Onkyo, but know I feel that I’ve found a worthwhile compromise. I figured you might be interested if you use your 805 for music and would like to use AS, without the AS high frequency roll off that is the default for our Onkyos when in the Stereo Listening Mode.

So after my long winded intro for an unsolicited suggestion, here goes. First chose the THX Music, that’s based on DTS Neo: 6. Next go into the setup menu > audio arguments > PLIIx/Neo:6 > Center Width. Set the center width to 5, and then exit. This shuts down the use of the center channel and preserves the original stereo separation between your mains. The rear channels still get some information, but usually not enough to be noticed. So it’s almost straight 2.1 with the AS Flat Curve, which is how I really want to listen to my music.

I figured I’d share, since I believe you’re a pretty big fan of AS and you’ve got an Onkyo.
I think that overall, people who want to learn more about what Audyssey is doing, they should look very specifically to the brand/model, be very aware which target curve they are using, what the selection even is to begin with, and that is also respective not only to model/brand but listening mode.

There is also the Front curve (Marantz?), as well as the NAD/PSB curve. There's probably more for all I know.

I am using almost exclusively PLIIX on my 805, [strike]which means Flat curve, regardless of RE-EQ setting[/strike]. Excuse me, I meant I always have the Reference curve. Re-EQ remains off (I believe as default too?). I am going to try THX modes again though, as my new screen material sort of provides a natural roll-off on the center speaker.

I almost think the varying manufacturer implementations are even more confusing than the nature of Audyssey! If and when people complain, I'd like to know what settings/curve/model they are using, sometimes.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't seen your receiver's setup, so I just relayed what he told me and it sounded odd to me, but he said he was told how to do this by someone at Audyssey. Audyssey and other auto-EQ systems frustrate me as much as anyone else. It may end up being "correct" WRT Audyssey but it may not sound good (has often been the case). Ultimately, the results are a good starting point fro fine-tuning. Unless someone wants to drop big bucks for a TC Electronics automated EQ system, the results aren't going to be what I think many of us would like.

At home, I usually use my mic and RTA software- if I see a dip in the response, I know the distance settings aren't correct or I have the speakers at different distances from where I sit. It's also a lot easier to see when I have the crossovers for the subwoofer and high pass set correctly. I think I'm just too much of a skeptic to believe it's right if I can't see the response.
Tell me if I'm missing something here, but you have the equipment and knowledge in taking measurements. Therefore, you could simply measure yourself what Audyssey has done, and then compare them with your own results? I'd be interested in what you find, for both better and worse, as I'm sure many would be.

What helps me take a leap of faith, well not really because my ears like it (and I don't have the measuring equipment), is when people I trust and respect quite a bit, including some persons of well known repute such as Kal Rubinson, measure and compare. They find that the tech does pretty much exactly what it sets out to do (which you didn't say was exactly the issue here, I understand that). Then there are others who have found that with countless hours of finding their own best EQ with DCX, etc, they still came up with inferior results compared to Audyssey MultEQ XT. OTOH, as is evident here, some people are unsatisfied with it across the board.

*snip*

Regarding Audyssey more broadly, as you probably know, there are many favors of Audyssey and I am sorry to say that 2EQ is at the bottom of the Audyssey food chain. (See chart on this page: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html#multeq-solutions)

IMO, Audyssey really comes into play in the higher versions where the resolution of the subwoofer channel becomes very high; 128x for example with my 805. In most systems/rooms bass is the big problem child much more so than the upper frequencies. For folks like me that do not have a dedicated HT room, making wall treatments out of the question, Audyssey will greatly improve the bass in the primary listening area. The 128x resolution in the subwoofer channel in one of many reasons to keep the crossover frequencies of the main channels near 80Hz. Why waste the 128x filtering power?

*snip*
Yeah. I know that b pape has said on multiple occasions that it is the bass that is usually the first and foremost problem in most rooms. It should also be said that issues with bass can affect the HF too if masking/overhanging is involved.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
1) i'm not comfortable with your avatar, i would recommend that you replace it with something family friendly

2) consider this your warning for sending that pm to that guy. (if you have him on your ignore list, why pm him)
A "warning" for sending him a PM? Are you KIDDING me? Did you see what he posted in my thread within the television/display section? I got the warning...and NOT HIM? Wow.

Furthermore, I posted that PM to him BEFORE I put him on ignore -- and I have the backing to PROVE it with a copy of that message I sent him in which I stated that he didn't need to respond because I was putting him on ignore AT THAT POINT.

As for the avatar, if you're not comfortable with it, fine, but I just don't get what's so "unfamily" about it -- it's just a candy cane in someone's mouth. I'll change it as soon as I can.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Hi sptrout. Although I am loathe to post in any thread started by the OP
Why is that? What problem have you had with me? What is your issue? You don't think there are plenty of members I "loathe" and are on my ever-growing ignore totem pole? I don't make announcements that I "loathe" to post in their threads...in fact, I just stay away from them...why would you make a comment like that?

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Hi sptrout. Although I am loathe to post in any thread started by the OP, I have to say that I do really enjoy it when the old skool AVS 805ers post here, including yourself and riverwolf. Now if I could just get BB over here too, that would be a massive brainiac influx. :D

Regarding the portion I boldfaced, I do believe the xx5 series can have Flat curve, but only on THX modes. I believe Chris has stated that in fact the Re-EQ setting will not alter at all the Flat curve (and that's even when Re-EQ is a THX setting to begin with).

The problem with Onkyo however, so far as I believe for most discerning consumers, is that you can no longer get Flat if outside of a THX mode. So, that includes stereo as well. I had a PM conversation a couple of years ago with nibhaz, who hasn't posted here in quite a while. It appears I have deleted the PM, but I still found what he told me he does with his version of "stereo" mode, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind me sharing it. I've never tried it myself, because my HT is always using a matrixing algorithm (except in the case of native of 7.1 tracks).

(edit: regarding RE-EQ, that setting CAN be made on top of the Reference/Audyssey/House curve. Yet another thing Onkyo/Integra owners need to be aware of.)

I think that overall, people who want to learn more about what Audyssey is doing, they should look very specifically to the brand/model, be very aware which target curve they are using, what the selection even is to begin with, and that is also respective not only to model/brand but listening mode.

There is also the Front curve (Marantz?), as well as the NAD/PSB curve. There's probably more for all I know.

I am using almost exclusively PLIIX on my 805, [strike]which means Flat curve, regardless of RE-EQ setting[/strike]. Excuse me, I meant I always have the Reference curve. Re-EQ remains off (I believe as default too?). I am going to try THX modes again though, as my new screen material sort of provides a natural roll-off on the center speaker.

I almost think the varying manufacturer implementations are even more confusing than the nature of Audyssey! If and when people complain, I'd like to know what settings/curve/model they are using, sometimes.
Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions, and I agree that us 805 owners must stick together although there seems to be a lot of lucky souls around! I thought that I remembered reading somewhere that the 805 could be talked into going flat, but these Audyssey curve discussions always give me a headache:) and I usually get lost. Plus all the talk about the different listening modes just adds to my confusion. I have always just used plain, unmodified, listening modes (DTS HD-MA, TrueHD, etc.) because, for one reason, I was never convinced that in my system any of them helped.

What gets me in trouble with most of the listening modes are my two POS speakers that I use for channels 6 & 7. They are leftover ceiling speakers (not included in my signature BTW) from days gone by that are not only poor in AQ but in the wrong location for a 7.1 system. Therefore, I leave them off unless the source Blu-ray has a true 7.1 track then I leave them in the game (although I cannot say that I ever notice them). Long story, but I am stuck with these two speakers so I have to live with them or just turn them off.:(

So, I do not want to use speakers 6 & 7 if they degrade channels 4 & 5. This would seem to be the case in most listening modes as I understand them. Over on AVS I asked many months ago if there was a listening mode that would take a 5.1 audio track and convert it to 7.1 without degrading the audio from channels 4 & 5. As I recall one of the noted experts replied that he believed that the only mode that I could use to light-up speakers 6 & 7 without degrading, at least to some degree, channels 4 & 5 was PLIIX in the music mode. He added that when in the music mode the audio in channels 4 & 5 are not changed. I did try to do some research on exactly how channels 6 & 7 are derived from 4 & 5, but no luck; company secrets?? Anyway, I gave it a go, but I could not tell the difference.

With this long and very sad story, do you see any way for me to go flat (other than in a casket:rolleyes:)? I guess I could just turn-off speakers 6 & 7 since they are useless anyway; would that open up some opportunities?

Actually, I really do not notice the roll-off anyway. Maybe my room is bright (likely), or my hearing is wayyyy flat by the time Audyssey starts the roll off (also likely). It just bugs me that if there is a simple way to make the system sound better I would like to use it (even if I cannot hear the difference - - others may, which is important).

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall

Bravo Mike......

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
You are correct in saying that with the Onkyo product(s), and most others, there is no way to "see" what Audyssey is doing. The only way is by "ear" or by using good frequency response equipment & software (BTW - Not the Radio Shack SPL Meter).
Right...

You are also correct that after running Audyssey it stays in the game unless you turn it off, which you may prefer.
You mean the EQ curve it sets?

My comments about adjusting the tone controls to try to boost the mid-to-high frequencies (without killing Audyssey) was based on what I read very recently on AVS's Onkyo 805 page and I have not personally tried to do this (although the ability to do so was confirmed by others). I would prefer no roll off because at my age my ears are already doing a lot of rolling off:(. However on that same thought, I have also read some detailed writings that say that increasing the high end frequency levels will not overcome, or flatten, what I actually hear. Sorry, for the diversion:eek:.
Are you referring to the "Bass" and "Treble" controls for the front channels?

Regarding Audyssey more broadly, as you probably know, there are many favors of Audyssey and I am sorry to say that 2EQ is at the bottom of the Audyssey food chain. (See chart on this page: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html#multeq-solutions)
I know 2EQ is just about their lowest version...:(

IMO, Audyssey really comes into play in the higher versions where the resolution of the subwoofer channel becomes very high; 128x for example with my 805. In most systems/rooms bass is the big problem child much more so than the upper frequencies. For folks like me that do not have a dedicated HT room, making wall treatments out of the question, Audyssey will greatly improve the bass in the primary listening area. The 128x resolution in the subwoofer channel in one of many reasons to keep the crossover frequencies of the main channels near 80Hz. Why waste the 128x filtering power?
I hear you here; I too don't have a dedicated HT room, but I just couldn't figure out what Audyssey was doing with my system's sound -- each time I ran it, there were different results with the exact same room conditions.

But I tend to agree with you in that with upper-tiered pre pros and AVRs, Audyssey may have a more effective application -- for reasons beyond the subwoofer calibration too...I believe the THX certified AVRs just take better advantage of these adjustment systems, allowing installers/end users to really dial into reference levels and such...

Back to 2EQ, IMO if you do not like the results, turn it off. If you look at the chart in the link provided you will see that it really is not doing much anyway. Turning it off should not affect the basic setup settings (levels, distances, etc.), but will remove the filtering. If that sounds best to you in your room, go for it.
Thanks for your sentiments here -- I didn't get a chance to look at that link, but does it really suggest 2EQ isn't doing much? Wow. As far as the "basic settings" you mentioned, I get these myself by physical measurements from the sweet spot to each speaker, etc...do I really need to rely on Audyssey to do this? I change the crossover points anyway because those are way off...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
OK? Absolutely. If it was mandatory, the receiver may not work without it and that would lose almost every potential customer, IMO. 'Balanced' is relative and dependent on a lot of different factors.
I realize that the system isn't "mandatory" as it wouldn't function, as you said, without it -- but I just wanted some outside insight (no pun intended) regarding the choice of leaving it off...

Some of the factors I would consider are:

A) Are the speakers able to produce a wide bandwidth without large peaks and dips or distortions?
B) Do the room's characteristics mean that speech is unintelligible, bass response is anything but smooth and the sound bounces around like a ping pong ball in a hurricane?
C) Does the interaction between the speakers and room cause listener fatigue?
To be honest with you, I'm not experiencing any of those anamolies, save for some horiffic resonance from a specific area of my room that accompanies bass wave hits -- something I've discussed in here before and what I've been desperate to get under control before I get a new sub...

In many cases, a little equalization goes a long way when it's in the mid-range, where human hearing is most sensitive. What sounds harsh with the equalizer set to 'flat' can be made tolerable with .5-1dB of correction in the needed bands (assuming the problems fall where the equalization bands coincide). This doesn't help phase cancellations/comb filtering (a major contributor to harshness) but it helps when amplitude is a problem.

It won't correct the results from bad speakers but it can smooth the response in many cases. Correct speaker placement/room preparation can make equalization largely unnecessary.
Indeed; I am aware of most of these elements. I still can't determine whether Audyssey's curve it sets via auto setup is actually benefitting my system and room -- the system seems to be a bit "snappier" and "open" without the EQ applied, so I have been leaving it off.

Thanks for the continuing convo!

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Even if you believe your speaker levels are set correctly, if you haven't used an SPL meter to set them you should definitely try it. I thought the same about my speaker levels and then I ran accross a new SPL meter for less than $20. I soon found out that the speaker levels were off by quite abit on some channels. All in all I believe like many others: Audyssey settings are a good starting point. To answer your question about the what I think about the way Aud. sets the curve, I think my system sounds better with it "on". I don't know exactly how to describe what I hear other than it sounds a little "warmer" and not as quite "monotone" and "bright". I tend to prefer a very nuetral speaker and a fairly flat response. Ther has been lots and lots written about Audyssey. Check out the Aud. thread on AVS.
I've seen the entire daunting thread at AVS on this...:eek: ;)

Where did you have your channels set before you tested with the SPL meter? How off were they from the results -- horiffically off?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Without getting into the technical intricacies of Audyssey, I have to say that the lack of repeatability of the settings imposed by Audyssey tells me that either you are varying something without realizing it (which I doubt since you have clearly been wanting to work it out) or your system/version of Audyssey is hosed!
I surely would not hesitate to disable it.
Then again, maybe today is the day you'll get lucky....;)

Last edited:
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Without getting into the technical intricacies of Audyssey, I have to say that the lack of repeatability of the settings imposed by Audyssey tells me that either you are varying something without realizing it (which I doubt since you have clearly been wanting to work it out) or your system/version of Audyssey is hosed!
I surely would not hesitate to disable it.
Then again, maybe today is the day you'll get lucky....;)
What's even stranger is that based on everything I have read regarding Audyssey, it seems that the exact opposite of what you're suggesting here applies -- that is, each time the system is run, there are varying factors to why you'll get different results...in retrospect, perhaps this isn't so strange in my case then, as I had been hinting at, but still, I'd like to know whether or not the system offers any great benefit at the 2EQ level, or if it's simply OK to leave it off, along with its EQ algorithm...

And indeed, I don't change any aspect of the testing conditions with each run of it, so I don't believe that to be a factor; when you say you would not "hesitate to disable it," are you suggesting that there are in fact folks with HT systems that don't run their Audyssey implementations?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What's even stranger is that based on everything I have read regarding Audyssey, it seems that the exact opposite of what you're suggesting here applies -- that is, each time the system is run, there are varying factors to why you'll get different results...in retrospect, perhaps this isn't so strange in my case then, as I had been hinting at, but still, I'd like to know whether or not the system offers any great benefit at the 2EQ level, or if it's simply OK to leave it off, along with its EQ algorithm...
I have MultEQ and while I do see fluctuations of a foot or so in the distances, the EQ (as limited by what my Marantz unit shows - 8 bands) is pretty consistent.

And indeed, I don't change any aspect of the testing conditions with each run of it, so I don't believe that to be a factor; when you say you would not "hesitate to disable it," are you suggesting that there are in fact folks with HT systems that don't run their Audyssey implementations?
Heck, I'm sure there are lots of people with high dollar MultiEQ XT HT receivers who don't know what Audyssey is for or about.
I don't have a HT system, but I always disable Audyssey to compare speakers. Usually by using Pure Direct mode - but if I want to use the subwoofers, I have to manually turn it off.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I have MultEQ and while I do see fluctuations of a foot or so in the distances, the EQ (as limited by what my Marantz unit shows - 8 bands) is pretty consistent.
Oh, okay, maybe the EQ -- I was talking more about the channel level and distance paramters, in addition to the crossover points that get "set" (although this is a manufacturer issue).

As stated, I cannot "see" or "review" what the 2EQ system does with the EQ curve it sets, so I don't really know how "off" the results are from run to run...

Heck, I'm sure there are lots of people with high dollar MultiEQ XT HT receivers who don't know what Audyssey is for or about.
I don't have a HT system, but I always disable Audyssey to compare speakers. Usually by using Pure Direct mode - but if I want to use the subwoofers, I have to manually turn it off.
I see; I didn't know you were not running a HT system...

Only 2-channel for ya? ;)

B

BWG707

Audioholic
I've seen the entire daunting thread at AVS on this...:eek: ;)

Where did you have your channels set before you tested with the SPL meter? How off were they from the results -- horiffically off?
It has been awhile since I've set my speaker levels with the SPL meter but from what I remember most channels wre set too low using Aud. I had to bump most channels up significately. There were off by quite abit, I don't know if I would say "horiffically off". Maybe you could borrow a SPL meter and check your results? Just to let you know I usually listen using PLIIx.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Right...

1. You mean the EQ curve it sets?

2. Are you referring to the "Bass" and "Treble" controls for the front channels?

3. I know 2EQ is just about their lowest version...:(

4. I hear you here; I too don't have a dedicated HT room, but I just couldn't figure out what Audyssey was doing with my system's sound -- each time I ran it, there were different results with the exact same room conditions.

But I tend to agree with you in that with upper-tiered pre pros and AVRs, Audyssey may have a more effective application -- for reasons beyond the subwoofer calibration too...I believe the THX certified AVRs just take better advantage of these adjustment systems, allowing installers/end users to really dial into reference levels and such...

5. Thanks for your sentiments here -- I didn't get a chance to look at that link, but does it really suggest 2EQ isn't doing much? Wow. As far as the "basic settings" you mentioned, I get these myself by physical measurements from the sweet spot to each speaker, etc...do I really need to rely on Audyssey to do this? I change the crossover points anyway because those are way off...
1. Yes, you can turn this off if you do not like the results.

2. Yes, at least with my 805 I can adjust the tone from either the front panel or from the remote control using the OSD. As I mentioned earlier (I think) I have not actually tried this (I admit it, I'm chicken).

3. Sorry, but I mentioned it only because many people do not know that their are more flavors of Audyssey than Baskin Robbins has ice cream.:)

4. I have no idea why you are getting different results every time you run Audyssey. I do not remember having a problem like this when I setup my 805 at least for the items that were reported on the OSD (distances, crossovers).

5. The reason that I mentioned the lack of capability of 2EQ is that if you do not include basic set up parameters that can be easily manually set (distances, crossovers (once they are determined by Audyssey), then the only thing left is the 1x filter resolution of the satellites. Since you do not like the results of the EQ'ing of the satellites, then Audyssey is not really doing you any good at this time. Based on all your comments and other folks suggestions, I think you may have a hardware/software problem. Since it is an older model, and therefore, likely out of warranty, you may be stuck. Replacement may be the only solution. If you decide to go down that road do not give up on models that feature Audyssey; most people find that it can improve a system's performance.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
It has been awhile since I've set my speaker levels with the SPL meter but from what I remember most channels wre set too low using Aud. I had to bump most channels up significately. There were off by quite abit, I don't know if I would say "horiffically off". Maybe you could borrow a SPL meter and check your results? Just to let you know I usually listen using PLIIx.
The microphone provided by Audyssey is spec'ed at +/- 2dB, which should be fine for most applications. It will be difficult to find a more accurate level measuring system than Audyssey without considerable expense and knowledge on how to use it. If you saw a big difference in levels there are couple possibilities:
1. Audyssey provided microphone problem. This is a known problem with some older Audyssey microphones (with the 805 at least). Sorry, no way to tell if it is a defective microphone other than replacing it. Fairly inexpensive from Club Onkyo.
2. Your reference SPL meter is wrong or you are using it incorrectly. Either is very likely based on my experience. With the Radio Shack SPL Meters it is very easy to get different readings every time you run setup. This is especially true when trying to measure the LFE channel. I do use my RS SPL Meter to record, and save, its results so if I ever expect a problem in the future I can do a quick SPL test to see if anything odd pops-up.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Maybe this has been mentioned earlier, but the Audyssey Curve created in the 605 is the "Flat" curve not Audyssey's "Reference Curve." The Reference Curve does have roll off, but Flat Curve is suppose to provde a flat frequency response across the band (within the capabilities of the system - - cannot over come really bad room problems for example).

Up to now I thought that Audyssey always created the Reference Curve, but that appears not to be the case in non-THX certified AVRs such as the 605. This is mentioned several times over on AVS' 605 thread.

Therefore, I do not see a reason why you are experiencing the "blanket affect" unless there is either an equipment problem, measuring issue, or you are just use to listening to a overly bright system and find a corrected system dull. May be back to the suggestion of some of the other posts; if you do not like the EQ results turn it off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis