Left speaker output not working on Yamaha receiver

S

sakete

Audioholic
I have a Yamaha A2070 receiver and as of this morning the left front speaker output is not working (I'm only using two speakers in a stereo setup connected to this receiver currently). These are passive speakers so I'm using the receiver's amps

Things I've already tried:
- Plugged left speaker wire into right speaker terminal on receiver and the speaker plays fine then, so it's not a problem with the speaker or speaker wire
- Played through different sources and still only hear the right speaker playing
- Unplugged the power cord to receiver, and replugged, no change
- Tried pure direct, no change
- Went through speaker settings in receiver and both speakers appear to be setup correctly

Any suggestions? It's a refurbished receiver from A4L and it should still be under warranty.

Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
- Went through speaker settings in receiver and both speakers appear to be setup correctly

Thanks.
Did you mean both channels played the test tone?

If so, the amp is probably fine and it may be a connection issue related to the source.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Did you mean both channels played the test tone?

If so, the amp is probably fine and it may be a connection issue related to the source.
No, test tone only plays on right speaker.

What I meant was that in the setup screen I didn't appear to have the left speaker disabled somehow. It's all showing as active, but no test tone.

I'm starting to worry that it's broken...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Yamaha A2070 receiver and as of this morning the left front speaker output is not working (I'm only using two speakers in a stereo setup connected to this receiver currently). These are passive speakers so I'm using the receiver's amps

Things I've already tried:
- Plugged left speaker wire into right speaker terminal on receiver and the speaker plays fine then, so it's not a problem with the speaker or speaker wire
- Played through different sources and still only hear the right speaker playing
- Unplugged the power cord to receiver, and replugged, no change
- Tried pure direct, no change

Any suggestions? It's a refurbished receiver from A4L and it should still be under warranty.

Thanks.
Hmm. There’s an advanced menu. In there you can initialize to default settings. I’m not sure if that is the same as a factory reset or not.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Sounds like you tested what you could to rule out the outboard stuff so it’s probably time to contact AC4L about warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know it doesn't help at all, but just wanted to emphasize that I would never buy a Refurbished AVR or AVP.

If a hard reset doesn't work, then there is probably a malfunction.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Hmm. There’s an advanced menu. In there you can initialize to default settings. I’m not sure if that is the same as a factory reset or not.
Right, I just googled it and reset it, still only get right speaker playing. Looks like it's broken.

Ugh :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right, I just googled it and reset it, still only get right speaker playing. Looks like it's broken.

Ugh :(
Somewhat the risk of a refurb....but if you're within your 30 days contact A4L. I got two bad refurbs of my last avr, decided to go new for $100 more after that....had patience for two but not three.

PS you're sure the reset was as per your manual? Not just brand?

S

sakete

Audioholic
Somewhat the risk of a refurb....but if you're within your 30 days contact A4L. I got two bad refurbs of my last avr, decided to go new for $100 more after that....had patience for two but not three.

PS you're sure the reset was as per your manual? Not just brand?
I followed instructions I saw online for the brand. It seemed to work though, as all my own settings had disappeared.

I bought this back in August so I'll have to deal with Yamaha. Stuck with refurb now unfortunately.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oops posted the remote control reset, don't see the other...yet.

ps Not finding it in the manual particularly. There was a suggestion in the troubleshooting section of pressing main for 10 seconds for a reboot and if that didn't work then try a soft reset.....usually the suggestion is the other way around.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes that would be considered what people often referred to as factory reset.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Yamaha will send me a shipping label, at least their support is good. Don't have to pay for shipping myself.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha will send me a shipping label, at least their support is good. Don't have to pay for shipping myself.
Wow. Yamaha will pay for Shipping both ways under warranty?

With Denon/Marantz, you have to pay for shipping each time. So if you sent them an AVR and they said they fixed it, but it's not really fixed because smoke comes out of it and nothing really works, and you want them to fix it AGAIN, then you will have to pay for shipping AGAIN.

But Yamaha will pay for shipping?

Yamaha rules! :D

Hopefully Yamaha repair support is also much better than Panurgy.

Last edited:
S

sakete

Audioholic
So just heard back from the repair center Yamaha uses. They shared a video to demonstrate what they found, and they weren't able to reproduce the issue, they see all speaker terminals working (they're hooking up the terminals to an oscilloscope).

Go figure... maybe during shipping a loose cable shifted back into place.

Still waiting to hear back on next steps, but all in all Yamaha's warranty service is great. They're pretty responsive and provided me a shipping label, so no cost to me. And that for a refurbished product. Definitely sticking with Yamaha for AVR/AVP equipment.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually that is very bad news. That is the whole problem with refubs. So many faults are intermittent. So when the refub crew get to look at it, it works. You can't find what's wrong with a working unit. So they assume it was an open box return and out it goes. A guy like you buys it and eventually the intermittent fault returns. Unless you are lucky enough to have it malfunction on Yamaha's test bench you have not heard the last of this. This is the major reason to NEVER buy a refurb receiver. I'm seriously afraid this item will end up a total loss to you in the end.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Actually that is very bad news. That is the whole problem with refubs. So many faults are intermittent. So when the refub crew get to look at it, it works. You can't find what's wrong with a working unit. So they assume it was an open box return and out it goes. A guy like you buys it and eventually the intermittent fault returns. Unless you are lucky enough to have it malfunction on Yamaha's test bench you have not heard the last of this. This is the major reason to NEVER buy a refurb receiver. I'm seriously afraid this item will end up a total loss to you in the end.
Perhaps. Hope that's not the case, but if so I'll just have to deal with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you just made ADTG's day... :p

That really is awesome customer service! Glad to hear they took care of you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So just heard back from the repair center Yamaha uses. They shared a video to demonstrate what they found, and they weren't able to reproduce the issue, they see all speaker terminals working (they're hooking up the terminals to an oscilloscope).

Go figure... maybe during shipping a loose cable shifted back into place.

Still waiting to hear back on next steps, but all in all Yamaha's warranty service is great. They're pretty responsive and provided me a shipping label, so no cost to me. And that for a refurbished product. Definitely sticking with Yamaha for AVR/AVP equipment.
Did you try a different source before you sent it in? Checked ALL of your connections..?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis