afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got the Deluxe BD set for Xmas also :)
Nice. I gotta pickup this set. I saw a great tribute band like 2 years ago and the guy was spot on. Love Led Zep as well as ACDC, which I have a couple of live DVD's that I didn't get a chance to see yet.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
OK, rough impressions -

I gotta admit, after listening to it exclusively in 2 channel Blu-Ray 24/48 stereo a couple of times, I'm impressed.

Robert Plant sounds pretty good - much better than in recent years past. He's not so restrained. He cuts loose here, like he doesn't give a f***. Not apologetic and aprehensive, like he's sounded for the last 30 years.

JPJ is a badass, but then we always knew that. Anyone who's attempted to throw down the lines of "The Lemon Song" knows this first hand. That song is a beginner's forearm cramp waiting to happen. He's palpable, and drives the rythm section.

Jason does dad proud - apples truly don't fall far from the tree. He and JPJ have exceptional chemistry, which is an absolute if the foundation of these compositions are to materialize. They also play with a conviction borne of 30 years ago. They believe.

Jimmy Page 'backs and fills' like he's supposed to and it sounds like a cleaner lifestyle suits him better in recent years. The leads are a bit rough in places, but that's kind of always been the case live - sober, or not.

The quality of the transfer is pretty good, as well. Having not had the privy of being there to witness the concert first hand, I cannot comment as to the accuracy of the presentation. All I can comment to is the balance of the mix. It sounds spot on with weight and transparency. For a live show it is one of the better transcriptions I've heard.

I'd say this purchase was definitely worth the 18 bux shipped that I dropped on it, and I certainly would pay more having heard it.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know, I felt Plant was still taking it easy on some tracks.; the heart and soul is definitely there, but in a bit more subdued of a way. That gave it a different vibe, and I didn't mind it at all. I have to say this show is impressive no matter what. Great mix on the Blu-ray, though I only listened once so far.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Jimmy's solo on Dazed and Confused is probably my favorite part.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I don't know, I felt Plant was still taking it easy on some tracks.; the heart and soul is definitely there, but in a bit more subdued of a way. That gave it a different vibe, and I didn't mind it at all. I have to say this show is impressive no matter what. Great mix on the Blu-ray, though I only listened once so far.
Agreed. Esp when compared to the "How the West Was Won" performance, but I haven't heard him sing live with this kind of conviction in 20+ years. It was great to hear that he can still carry a few of the old notes. Honestly, I thought that he'd lost the ability. You know, with that whole age thing.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Plant sounded great on Kashmir, but on tracks like Since I've Been Loving You, especially Black Dog and even Stairway, I was missing the WAIL. His voice didn't sound strained though and that was good.

I thought the BD on the Deluxe set was going to be Audio only, so I was kind of surprised at the HD video.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis