LED Household light bulbs

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I go through a lot of LED bulbs around the house. Seems like one every couple of months. I don't think incandecent bulbs go that quickly. Any way to avoid this? Buy higher quality? Any brand that's better than the run o' the mill Sylvania's etc? I usually get 60w equivalent bulbs. Now I am out again and need to buy more. I have kept the last 6 or 8 bad ones because I remember seeing a youtube once on repairing them. But I never looked into it to see if it was worthwhile.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I go through a lot of LED bulbs around the house. Seems like one every couple of months. I don't think incandecent bulbs go that quickly. Any way to avoid this? Buy higher quality? Any brand that's better than the run o' the mill Sylvania's etc? I usually get 60w equivalent bulbs. Now I am out again and need to buy more. I have kept the last 6 or 8 bad ones because I remember seeing a youtube once on repairing them. But I never looked into it to see if it was worthwhile.
I found Sylvania to be the absolute worst.

Feit seems to make good LED bulbs, and Phillips are pretty solid.

Any and all Sylvania bulbs have been taken out due to failure and replaced by those other brands.

One other tip: LED bulbs don't like closed chambers. They want room to ventilate. This will help you out too, in case you have situations like that. (Think outdoor porch lights with smaller glass globes around the bulb.)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Is the voltage in your home often above 120 volts? That could explain the situation.

From experience, several years ago, I had bought some Candelabra socket LED bulbs made in China for the bathroom, as nothing else was available at the time from the North American brands. None lasted more than about 6 months.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, my oldest LEDs are around 8 years or so old. Including a 150w equivalent bulb, among the first I ever purchased.

oh, and add GE to the good list. ;)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Is the voltage in your home often above 120 volts? That could explain the situation.

From experience, several years ago, I had bought some Candelabra socket LED bulbs made in China for the bathroom, as nothing else was available at the time from the North American brands. None lasted more than about 6 months.
I never checked!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I've had pretty decent luck with Ecosmart LED bulbs from Home Depot. Personally I prefer the bright white.

I'm surprised you have had so many failures. As others have mentioned, if they're not ventilated they seem to get cooked and fail.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have used Feit only I think, and only one bulb might be an issue although I haven't put the ladder in place to pull it and check it particularly (it's on a four-way with three others that are fine and probably been in place for 7-8 years now?).

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I've had pretty decent luck with Ecosmart LED bulbs from Home Depot. Personally I prefer the bright white.

I'm surprised you have had so many failures. As others have mentioned, if they're not ventilated they seem to get cooked and fail.
The ones that are inside a decorarative bulb have not failed! Perhaps those were higher quality when I bought this place in 2018. I recalll changing most to match the color, etc, but do not know what I bought. The ones that are open keep failing. I am not buying Sylvanias anymore. I will refer to what you guys are recommending.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The ones that are inside a decoarative bulb have not failed! Perhaps those were higher quality when I bought this place in 2018. I recalll changing most to match the color, etc, but do not know what I bought. The ones that are open keep failing. I am noit buying Sylvanias anymore. I will refer to what you guys are recommending.
I have something like 60-70 can lights in my house and I probably replace about 6 bulbs per year. However, some of the lights do not get used very often so they probably last something like 3-4 years with regular use. On the other hand, I have some Ecosmarts in my garage that are still going strong after 12 years.

The Ecosmarts seem to start going dim rather than just failing outright. I'm hesitant to give them too strong of a recommendation because the company changes the construction of the bulbs quite frequently and there's no way to know if they'll start producing cr*p at some point.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought an 8 pack of A19 EcoSmart 60 w equivalent for $20 on Amazon. Hopefully, they are still good bulbs!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought an 8 pack of A19 EcoSmart 60 w equivalent for $20 on Amazon. Hopefully, they are still good bulbs!
I'd suggest you unscrew them and use a narrow point sharpie to put install date. I do that . I have almost 100% LED. Don't remember when I changed any last.
I also have almost all ceiling cans, insulated rated cans. While I don't leave them on endlessly, they have not failed.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I’ve had the same experience. I have incandescent bulbs inside and outside that have lasted 20 years. Not even close with the energy efficient ones. Not sure if I’m saving money when I’m replacing more expensive bulbs More frequently. Oh well hopefully I’m saving the planet for the kids and grandkids.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have been 100% LED for quite a while. I use a lot of different brands, basically whatever I find usually. Ecosmart, Philips, Feit, etc... and most seem to last a pretty long time. I also tend to buy 6 or 8 packs. With the Feits, I had some fail within a year or so, but when I replaced with ones from the same box, those lasted years. I guess it just depends. I have a few that have been going for 7-8 years at least, those generally being the more expensive ones that came out early on. I have a 48" ecosmart one in the bathroom that's been there for ~6 years.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Feit are the ones to go for. Good LED bulbs should last for years and years. LED bulbs are DC, so the bulbs have a power supply in them. Many of not most have cheap diodes and especially caps which fail. The problem are the power supplies, with you guessed, it cheap junk Chinese components.

highfigh

highfigh

If you see the same brand and part number, check into the warranty. Failure within six months just BS. However, are they on dimmers, or switches? Dimmers need to be right for the bulbs and the packaging or instructions for the bulbs should include something about leading edge vs trailing edge.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
If you see the same brand and part number, check into the warranty. Failure within six months just BS. However, are they on dimmers, or switches? Dimmers need to be right for the bulbs and the packaging or instructions for the bulbs should include something about leading edge vs trailing edge.

Switches. I only have one light I think that requires a dimmer bulb and that is outside that I don't even use. As far as when they failed after purchase is only a guess. But way too frequent is for sure! From here on out, I won't buy those low budget ones.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Oh yeah... I have two ceiling fans both with dimmable lights. But I have never had to replace any bulbs in them. I just installed the ones that came in the kits. I's been a few years for both. I don't even recall what bulbs are in them at the moment. If I ever have to replace them, I'll get the right ones.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Switches. I only have one light I think that requires a dimmer bulb and that is outside that I don't even use. As far as when they failed after purchase is only a guess. But way too frequent is for sure! From here on out, I won't buy those low budget ones.
You don't want to buy cheap bulbs. LED light bulbs are quite complicated.

Above is what is in a typical domestic LED bulb.

Here is a LED driver circuit.

I'm surprised they don't cost more then they do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis