S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They haven't been out that long. I have a home theater room that I game in. I'll also get the 50xti center.
If it were me, I would just use another 35XTi as a center, if you can make room for it. Two-way centers like the 50XTi tend to have very significant off-axis lobing. The 35XTi would be cheaper and better as a center.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I agree. Not enough room but yes that's good advice.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well the good news is for an amp I'm more open because the perks on Rotel which best buy sells are good but not great so I'm open to any 3 channel amp that doesn't have any speaker hum.
Does your current amp produce hum in your room? If so, I’m guessing you probably won’t solve that just by buying a different amp.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
No it's a marantz 7055 and it's perfectly quiet. Just was going to sell it for something bigger. I had a speakercraft amp before it that had a buzz through the speakers but the marantz is perfect.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No it's a marantz 7055 and it's perfectly quiet. Just was going to sell it for something bigger. I had a speakercraft amp before it that had a buzz through the speakers but the marantz is perfect.
Thats good. Buzz and hiss I can’t tolerate either. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@Rick330 I think you'll be very happy with the MLs - let us know how you like them (I am listening vicariously through you)! Question: why do you think you need a "bigger" amp? Your Marantz has plenty of power and I am sure it is an excellent unit. Is it simply a case of "more power!" or do they really not have the headroom? Ask any of the regulars on here and they will tell you that you need at least double the wattage (to put it simply) to gain any noticeable increase in volume and even then, pumping, say, +200WPC into those speakers would be REALLY loud.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Well they said them being 4ohm shouldn't be a problem but I'm ocd and marantz says 6-8 ohm. I believe the guys it's just in my head. I don't mind selling my marantz and putting a little more towards a bigger amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well they said them being 4ohm shouldn't be a problem but I'm ocd and marantz says 6-8 ohm. I believe the guys it's just in my head. I don't mind selling my marantz and putting a little more towards a bigger amp.
The marantz will be fine for driving them. In terms of a bigger amp for more power it takes roughly 2x the power to get a 3db increase. That would move you into a 250W+ amp. The impedance of the ML never really dips below 5 ohms so you will have no problem driving them with most anything. Crossover them over 100hz and that takes some of the midbass load off the speakers and puts it on your subs.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
The marantz will be fine for driving them. In terms of a bigger amp for more power it takes roughly 2x the power to get a 3db increase. That would move you into a 250W+ amp. The impedance of the ML never really dips below 5 ohms so you will have no problem driving them with most anything. Crossover them over 100hz and that takes some of the midbass load off the speakers and puts it on your subs.
Well as long as the 50xti center has the same reading as the 35xti I'll give that a shot.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Plus hopefully only using 3 of the 5 channels of the marantz 7055 will help.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Ok whoever said the Martin Logan's was right. The main reason from switching from def tech was the def tech centers are annoying for a few reasons and the Martin Logan 50xti is remarkable.
There isn't a huge jump from the def tech sm55 to the 35xti but when pairing with a sub the Martin Logan's are fantastic. The sm55s duplicate a tower better but I don't want a tower. Anyway that's a quick summary.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis