Last system I will ever need to own

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Above the Yamaha RX-A3080 is the massive Denon AVP-A1HDCI, which died after 8 years so now it is just paperweight.

I do have a bit of “seller’s remorse“ selling the AVR-5308 because it is a beast. The Yamaha feels like a lightweight in comparison. :D

The AVR-5308 can output about 340 watts RMS x 2Ch into 4 ohms, while the RX-A3080 can output about 300 watts RMS x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

I listened and sang karaoke last night on the Yamaha AVR connected to the Yamaha MIXER. :D

I’ve always preferred not using any kind of auto room correction EQ. Same with both the Denon and Yamaha. So the SQ is the same in “direct” modes.

There are differences between the Denon and Yamaha.

1. Direct Mode/Pure Direct Mode and Bass Management. Denon allows Subwoofer usage even in Pure Direct mode. Yamaha does not allow bass management in Pure Direct mode. However, Direct modes sound the same to me as “Straight” (Yamaha) and “Stereo” (Denon) modes. Except for KARAOKE! :D

2. Karaoke Mode. Okay, there’s no such thing. I just made this up. :D But huge difference here. Night and day difference. In Stereo mode, there is a slight delay in vocals through the Mixer for karaoke. It’s like a slight “echo” effect, which may be fine for most people who use “echo” for karaoke. But I prefer no echo effects of any kind. Thus, with the Denon, I had to use Direct Mode.

Since Denon allows Sub output in Direct mode, there’s not an issue.

But since Yamaha doesn’t allow Sub output in Pure Direct mode (Yamaha doesn’t have a Direct mode), this created a problem for me.

Yamaha’s PD mode seems to be made for FULL RANGE Large speaker, which doesn’t need a Sub. So it routes all the bass to the Front L/R speakers.

Solution: I have to use the Yamaha‘s XLR Balanced Front Left/Right Output to connect to the RBH SA-500DSP Sub amp XLR Input. Then use the Sub amp’s XO/PEQ to set LPF (150Hz), HPF (25Hz), XO Slope (12dB), and PEQ settings.

I boost the PEQ from 25Hz-80Hz to create that “Dynamic EQ” bass effect.

So now I use the Yamaha in Pure Direct mode.

But again, the end result is the same Sound Quality with both RX-A3080 and AVR-5308.

3. Once again, the Yamaha’s WiFi Remote App and Music Streaming (MusicCast) work perfectly, unlike the Denon’s. I was able to easily set up and control the MusicCast for Zone 1 (Living Room) and Zone 2 (Back Porch). There’s also the option for Zone 3 since I’m not using all of the Yamaha’s internal amps. So going back in time, I would have wired more speakers for more zones. :D

In conclusion, the SQ of the RX-A3080 is excellent like the AVR-5308. “Karaoke mode” is also excellent with Pure Direct mode. :D
Nice. Glad it worked out for you.

One observation. You have quite a few disc players there my friend. You still use them all?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the back porch a zone on one of the other Yamahas?
The Back Porch is Zone2 for the Living Room (Zone1) of the RX-A3080. When using MusicCast, both Zones 1 & 2 are synchronized (play same source). But you can use MusicCast for one zone and another Source for zone2.

“Home Theater“ is from the CX-A5100.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. Glad it worked out for you.

One observation. You have quite a few disc players there my friend. You still use them all?
I don’t use ANY disc players.

Those BD/DVD players work. But they are now just “decor” pieces like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man one thing I'm blown away by is RBH's build quality they look stunning

I thought my PB 4000's looked good they don't hold a candle to the SV-1212PR I just bought from a friend on this site

It's in the back of the room should be in the front

I'll be getting a hold of you once things calm down on some more RBH

Congratulations on your new purchase I'm glad to hear your enjoying it

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t use ANY disc players.

Those BD/DVD players work. But they are now just “decor” pieces like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. :D
I figured. Especially when I saw a Toshiba HD-DVD player. Brings back memories. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Nice pickup Andrew, I wonder how Yamahas 2020 Flagship units will compare.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve had a few clients asked if I had any Legacy Audio speakers to audition, so I’ve been contemplating getting a pair of Legacy Audio Focus SE Rosewood for my HT room. :D

The only “issue“ I thought was that my 150” screen would put the speakers pretty wide apart.

So this morning I moved my RBH SX-T2/R towers even wider apart - they are now about 15FT apart. The Legacy Focus would be about 12FT apart.

I’ve been listening to music all morning. I think placing the SX-T2/R farther apart makes the soundstage even bigger. So it’s all good! :D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! You must be under sea level, what with the sand bags and all.:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Back Porch is Zone2 for the Living Room (Zone1) of the RX-A3080. When using MusicCast, both Zones 1 & 2 are synchronized (play same source). But you can use MusicCast for one zone and another Source for zone2.

“Home Theater“ is from the CX-A5100.
How did you get the zone 2 for your back porch to show up in the Musiccast app? I have a zone2 in my garage and I’m using the controller app to use it. I haven’t figured out how to make it show up on the musicast app.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How did you get the zone 2 for your back porch show up in the Musiccast app? I have a zone2 in my garage and I’m using the controller app to use it. I haven’t figured out how to make it show up on the musicast app.
I didn't use the AV Controller app. I just used the MusicCast app.

I can't remember exactly now. :D But I'm guessing I added a ROOM. It was during the initial setup using the MusicCast app. I know I had to go back into MusicCast app and changed the Settings to rename the Room to "Back Porch" and also to add the picture of the back porch to MusicCast app.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis