Last system I will ever need to own

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Downsizing" from the 110-pound AT3005 amp to a 60-pound MX-A5000 amp (to power nine speakers). Still keeping the 90-pound AT2005 (to power five SX-1010 subs). :D

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
There is no such thing as the last system you will ever want or need as technology marches on. That said I keep audio (not video) equipment a lot longer than I used to I guess I have found a "sweet spot".

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There is no such thing as the last system you will ever want or need as technology marches on. That said I keep audio (not video) equipment a lot longer than I used to I guess I have found a "sweet spot".
Please dont tempt him lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Last System" is an inside joke.

I used to own the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1. Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP) used to say that they're the last speakers you'll ever need. Well, I sold those Orion last year. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You system looks really impressive.
Any day now, I'm expecting someone to say, "You did what? :eek: Sold your ATI AT3005 and got a Yamaha amp?" :D

In case anyone is wondering, the Yamaha MX-A5000 is powering my 9 RBH speakers just fine in my 22' x 26' x 14' room. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Short answer: I needed more amps for 9 Speakers + 5 subwoofers.

Some might just add more amps - like adding another 5Ch amp. But I preferred not to.

Bottom line: I did not spend another dime. Actually, I pocketed a few hundred dollars. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
"Last System" is an inside joke.

I used to own the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1. Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP) used to say that they're the last speakers you'll ever need. Well, I sold those Orion last year. :D
Thanks it did sound a little too serious .:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Short answer: I needed more amps for 9 Speakers + 5 subwoofers.

Some might just add more amps - like adding another 5Ch amp. But I preferred not to.

Bottom line: I did not spend another dime. Actually, I pocketed a few hundred dollars. :D
Nothing wrong with that!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, really, this is the last system I will ever need. :eek:

R............I............G...............H................T :D

Okay, so since everyone and their grandma has a 4K TV, I thought it was time to upgrade my 1080p projector to a Native 4K (4096 x 2160, 1.9:1 ratio) projector, even though a 3840 x 2160 resolution is what fits my 150" (1.78:1 ratio) screen.

The first projector I ever own was a SharpVision projector that had a MSRP of about $10K around 1990.

My second projector was a cataclysmic Optoma 1080p ($4K) that failed 3 times in 2 years. I was happy to sell that PJ. Would never buy another Optoma.

My 3rd projector was a BenQ 1080p W6000 ($2,500),which has been very reliable for around 9 years now.

So now comes my 4th Projector in the last 27 years - the JVC NX5 (MSRP $6K). This means one projector every 9 years. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No, really, this is the last system I will ever need. :eek:

R............I............G...............H................T :D

Okay, so since everyone and their grandma has a 4K TV, I thought it was time to upgrade my 1080p projector to a Native 4K (4096 x 2160, 1.9:1 ratio) projector, even though a 3840 x 2160 resolution is what fits my 150" (1.78:1 ratio) screen.

Man I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My impression of the NX5:

Compared to all the PJ I've owned and seen at Best Buy Magnolia and the Sony store at Las Vega (non were JVC),the JVC NX5 blows everything away. Colors are absolutely beautiful and black levels are deep and rich. :D

I watched some 4K HDR movies (DSPlayer/madVR) and regular 1080p SDR movies. And the amazing thing wasn't even the 4K HDR movies.

Yeah, sure, 4K HDR looks awesome, but that's expected.

What's not expected was how the NX5 makes all the 1080p SDR movies look like they are 4K HDR! :D

And this is in LOW lamp mode and NATURAL color mode, not HDR10 or Cinema color modes where it pumps up the color.

The projector is placed about 24' away from the 150" screen. Vertical shift and Horizontal Shift were almost at maximum because the PJ is placed above the screen and not exactly centered. :D

There are many outdoor scenes that looked so bright I was reaching for my sunglasses. :cool:

Even on regular 1080p, the color looks so vibrantly awesome and just pops out at you.

Seriously, it makes me wonder if this HDR business (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced) is kind of a gimmick if the NX5 can make regular 1080p SDR movies look this stunningly vivid and beautiful. :D

I was watching this really stupid movie from Netflix called "Replicas" starring Keanu Reeves. I mean this movie is really stupid. It's regular Netflix Compressed 1080p with DD+ sound. But it was so easy to look at the beautiful image on the screen. I was mainly watching the picture quality and ignoring the stupid movie itself. My eyes were glued to the image on the screen. It was so beautiful and HDR-like.

Seriously, who needs 4K HDR10+, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced, etc., when 1080p SDR can look this amazingly beautiful?

I'm beginning to wonder that the salient reason 4K HDR contents look so awesome is because of the TVs or Projectors themselves, not the actual 4K HDR contents. I'm sure the HDR contents help, but the actual TV and PJ quality is more important, turning regular 1080p SDR contents into stunning vivid vibrant 4K-HDR-like videos.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My impression of the NX5:

Compared to all the PJ I've owned and seen at Best Buy Magnolia and the Sony store at Las Vega (non were JVC),the JVC NX5 blows everything away. Colors are absolutely beautiful and black levels are deep and rich. :D

I watched some 4K HDR movies (DSPlayer/madVR) and regular 1080p SDR movies. And the amazing thing wasn't even the 4K HDR movies.

Yeah, sure, 4K HDR looks awesome, but that's expected.

What's not expected was how the NX5 makes all the 1080p SDR movies look like they are 4K HDR! :D

And this is in LOW lamp mode and NATURAL color mode, not HDR10 or Cinema color modes where it pumps up the color.

The projector is placed about 24' away from the 150" screen. Vertical shift and Horizontal Shift were almost at maximum because the PJ is placed above the screen and not exactly centered. :D

There are many outdoor scenes that looked so bright I was reaching for my sunglasses. :cool:

Even on regular 1080p, the color looks so vibrantly awesome and just pops out at you.

Seriously, it makes me wonder if this HDR business (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced) is kind of a gimmick if the NX5 can make regular 1080p SDR movies look this stunningly vivid and beautiful. :D

I was watching this really stupid movie from Netflix called "Replicas" starring Keanu Reeves. I mean this movie is really stupid. It's regular Netflix Compressed 1080p with DD+ sound. But it was so easy to look at the beautiful image on the screen. I was mainly watching the picture quality and ignoring the stupid movie itself. My eyes were glued to the image on the screen. It was so beautiful and HDR-like.

Seriously, who needs 4K HDR10+, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced, etc., when 1080p SDR can look this amazingly beautiful?

I'm beginning to wonder that the salient reason 4K HDR contents look so awesome is because of the TVs or Projectors themselves, not the actual 4K HDR contents. I'm sure the HDR contents help, but the actual TV and PJ quality is more important, turning regular 1080p SDR contents into stunning vivid vibrant 4K-HDR-like videos.
Hah hah yeah Replicas was a stinker still shows how good the JVC is if it could get you to watch it all the way through! :D

Thanks for your feedback on it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hah hah yeah Replicas was a stinker still shows how good the JVC is if it could get you to watch it all the way through! :D

Thanks for your feedback on it!
Yeah, BMXTRIX and all the projector enthusiasts have raved about JVC PJs for years, but I always thought they were exaggerating and just being too enthusiastic. :D

I guess it's one of those things you have to see it to believe it.

But now I know what they mean. It's an eye-opener for sure.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, BMXTRIX and all the projector enthusiasts have raved about JVC PJs for years, but I always thought they were exaggerating and just being too enthusiastic. :D

Yeah it's what I've been noticing on my research a lot of forums state JVC is the way to go on a no holds barred theater room

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Damnit. Now I want a new pj even more. Thanks...

I think you learned a good lesson. Resolution and all that mean nothing without a good picture. Oversimplication of what a great display can do, but it reminds me of when I got my Panasonic VT60. I'd already had my current oh for a few years, but remember that when I watched something for the first time on that TV my first thought was "I need a better projector". That's how good the image is. I still love my oh, but I know I'm missing out on what the truly great projectors are capable of.

Congrats. And get some new HDMI cables...:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis