laptop for music storage

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
You think 256 is enough though? Amazon has some better specs but also the warranty is only 30 days.
Personally I recommend most folks go with a minimum 500 GB hard drive for a Laptop but that's really because I don't want them complaining about it later. :eek: No one ever complains down the road that they have too much space.

However, I've run numerous Laptops on 256 GB drives without issue. In the last few years, as they are so cheap, I uses a couple as test drives during the repair process.

My rule of thumb is you want 1/3 over the total space on the Operating System partition (hard drive) free at all times on a computer. Things will noticeably slow down if you clog up the drive. Win10 (or possibly Win11 in this case) installed only consumes about 20 GB for the 64 Bit version. So what other programs are going to be installed, and how large are they, become a consideration. But it's simple math.

Most of the time, even on brand new Laptops I setup for folks, my habit (it goes back to ages ago to IT at General Electric) is to partition (split) the hard drive in two via software. (Now built in to Windows 10) A "C" drive for the Operating System and Programs - which is typically 100 GB. Sometimes more / sometimes less. The other portion of the drive is "D" for Data. That way if C gets corrupted by a virus, trojan, etc., the Data would still remain readable/recoverable. I've had folks who wanted me to migrated their data, after the computer is 5 years old and beat up; to their shiny new one, and all they have is 20 GB on a 900 GB Drive! So buying a 1TB up front was probably not the most cost effect purchase they ever made.

So the question is 256 GB enough? I know you plan to keep the bulk of your Data (Tunes) on a separate USB Drive (backed up of course), so it may just be. Only you can calculate what Programs and Data you plan to keep on it. Of course in the future you find it too small, all of the major hard drive vendors (Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate, etc.) offer free migration software if you want to go to a larger (1TB? ) drive. Those M.2 drives seem to be still getting cheaper every month, and are simple to swap in.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Now I understand. FYI => The Dell manual (see my link a couple of posts above) indicates on Page 12 of 23 "Maximum memory configuration 16 GB".

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Personally I recommend most folks go with a minimum 500 GB hard drive for a Laptop but that's really because I don't want them complaining about it later. :eek: No one ever complains down the road that they have too much space.

However, I've run numerous Laptops on 256 GB drives without issue. In the last few years, as they are so cheap, I uses a couple as test drives during the repair process.

My rule of thumb is you want 1/3 over the total space on the Operating System partition (hard drive) free at all times on a computer. Things will noticeably slow down if you clog up the drive. Win10 (or possibly Win11 in this case) installed only consumes about 20 GB for the 64 Bit version. So what other programs are going to be installed, and how large are they, become a consideration. But it's simple math.

Most of the time, even on brand new Laptops I setup for folks, my habit (it goes back to ages ago to IT at General Electric) is to partition (split) the hard drive in two via software. (Now built in to Windows 10) A "C" drive for the Operating System and Programs - which is typically 100 GB. Sometimes more / sometimes less. The other portion of the drive is "D" for Data. That way if C gets corrupted by a virus, trojan, etc., the Data would still remain readable/recoverable. I've had folks who wanted me to migrated their data, after the computer is 5 years old and beat up; to their shiny new one, and all they have is 20 GB on a 900 GB Drive! So buying a 1TB up front was probably not the most cost effect purchase they ever made.

So the question is 256 GB enough? I know you plan to keep the bulk of your Data (Tunes) on a separate USB Drive (backed up of course), so it may just be. Only you can calculate what Programs and Data you plan to keep on it. Of course in the future you find it too small, all of the major hard drive vendors (Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate, etc.) offer free migration software if you want to go to a larger (1TB? ) drive. Those M.2 drives seem to be still getting cheaper every month, and are simple to swap in.

I hope this is helpful.
Should I be concerned with going through Amazon (30 day warranty) vs Dell's (one year)? The specs I want and price I favor Amazon but the warranty is less.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Should I be concerned with going through Amazon (30 day warranty) vs Dell's (one year)? The specs I want and price I favor Amazon but the warranty is less.
Amazon sells extended warranties if that's a concern. A lot of credit cards automatically upgrade your warranty on some things. Check to see if any of yours do that.

To be honest though, little goes wrong in the first year unless something is defective out of the box. Laptops may be slightly more prone to issues than desktops, but if something happens in the first year, it's likely that it's physical damage of some sort just due to the harsh nature of laptops. There are warranties that cover that too, no idea on cost though.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
It's my understanding that Dell stands behind a new Laptop regardless of which retailer handles the transaction. So the Dell one year warranty (in the USA) would apply. Dell has different terms and conditions for each country, and of course each retailer (read Amazon) would have theirs as well. So it's prudent to read the fine print there as well.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It's my understanding that Dell stands behind a new Laptop regardless of which retailer handles the transaction. So the Dell one year warranty (in the USA) would apply. Dell has different terms and conditions for each country, and of course each retailer (read Amazon) would have theirs as well. So it's prudent to read the fine print there as well.
Ok got the specs. It's Western Digital backup drive with 1 TB. Looks like I got a pretty good brand. Its compatible up to Win 10 so not sure how that's gonna go if the laptop has Win 11?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Think the other thing I was doing is comparing my Dell "tower" vs my ma's HP laptops. She's had her Dell laptop serviced once, but she does push its threshold (if that has any bearing). I doubt I'd be doing heavy usage, and it's difficult for me to imagine any other brand competing with the specs at that price point. Will continue to look though.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Ok got the specs. It's Western Digital backup drive with 1 TB. Looks like I got a pretty good brand. Its compatible up to Win 10 so not sure how that's gonna go if the laptop has Win 11?
The USB WD Back up drive communicates via a USB protocol and will work no issue with Windows 11.

Yes, at that price point the Dell is very attractive. And having the ability to add another stick of Ram is a bonus.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The USB WD Back up drive communicates via a USB protocol and will work no issue with Windows 11.

Yes, at that price point the Dell is very attractive. And having the ability to add another stick of Ram is a bonus.
What's your opinion on getting the music files via Dropbox/Wetransfer?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I've used Dropbox only a couple of times when a friend wanted me to see a video, and some photos. I forget what I used Wetransfer for but there are many File sharing sites (Rapidgator, File Factory, etc.) and all work reasonably well for any digital files (audio, video, jpeg, etc.). Most files are compressed via WinRar or WinZip to shrink them and expedite transfer. I've only used the Free versions because I'm too cheap to pay for it, and they've met my needs.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
WD - My Book 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black
Maximize your system's storage capacity with this Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive. Quick transfer rates move information three times faster than traditional hard drives. The My Book has universal connections to ensure compatibility with 3.0 and 2.0 USB devices. The drive also offers built-in 256-bit hardware encryption and optional password protection for peace of mind.

Overkill?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
There are folks who believe you can never have enough storage space. In my opinion it can also be about risk management, versus convenience. Having all your data, tunes in your case, on a single Drive can be very convenient, but if when that drive fails you'll have lost 8 TB of valuable data. If you had it on two 4 TBs, the chances are only one fails at a time and the risk of loss is lessened. Of course there's a balance point and you have to find out what it is for you. I try to keep my critical Tunes in at least 2 locations (one off machine). That's my comfort level.

By the way, forget about the encryption function on these WDs. I just Format them and use Windows Explorer to move the Data about. KISS Principle at work.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are folks who believe you can never have enough storage space. In my opinion it can also be about risk management, versus convenience. Having all your data, tunes in your case, on a single Drive can be very convenient, but if when that drive fails you'll have lost 8 TB of valuable data. If you had it on two 4 TBs, the chances are only one fails at a time and the risk of loss is lessened. Of course there's a balance point and you have to find out what it is for you. I try to keep my critical Tunes in at least 2 locations (one off machine). That's my comfort level.

By the way, forget about the encryption function on these WDs. I just Format them and use Windows Explorer to move the Data about. KISS Principle at work.
This can never be stated enough. Back up everything to another drive/s because it isn't if a failure will happen, it's when. A portable drive will last a long time, but everyone needs to be sure they have a good backup for everything.

That portable drive with a good back up will last a good long while.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

For me a computer and 2 backup drives.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

16GBs, 128GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Windows 11. $589 and 1 year warranty.

Is it normal to put the operating system on the SSD?

Also, for the warranty does it really matter if you go through Dell, or does it carry over to Amazon and ebay?

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Dude,

There are very few things in life I'd call "normal" these days. :confused: Installing the OS onto a smaller SSD was a common design when larger SSDs were pricey and they put in a standard Hard Drive for storage; and now folks do it with M.2 NVMe for the same reasons. Don't be too put off by that.

I just searched the model number and Dell is having a Boxing Day Sale ( Dell Inspiron 15 3000 ) with lots of options for this Model. The eBay seller does not give you complete Specs, and for that alone, I'd stay away from there. Similarly, there is no warranty statement I could find. So I'd guide you to buy direct from Dell's website if this is the Box for you. Warranty issues (heaven forbid) are easier dealt with direct from the OEM.

I hope this is helpful.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Dude,

There are very few things in life I'd call "normal" these days. :confused: Installing the OS onto a smaller SSD was a common design when larger SSDs were pricey and they put in a standard Hard Drive for storage; and now folks do it with M.2 NVMe for the same reasons. Don't be too put off by that.

I just searched the model number and Dell is having a Boxing Day Sale ( Dell Inspiron 15 3000 ) with lots of options for this Model. The eBay seller does not give you complete Specs, and for that alone, I'd stay away from there. Similarly, there is no warranty statement I could find. So I'd guide you to buy direct from Dell's website if this is the Box for you. Warranty issues (heaven forbid) are easier dealt with direct from the OEM.

I hope this is helpful.
Just wanted to run it by you. About the best I can do at my price point. To get the 16GB and 1TB it goes up $300.

Inspiron 15 3000
i5--10th gen
12GB RAM
512GB SSD
Win 11
$549

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis