laptop for music storage

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
As for RAM, if you end up buying a Laptop, just make sure it can handle 16 gigs so you can add to it later. If possible spec the Laptop with one 8 Gig stick, and one slot vacant. Often OEMs will put a couple of 4 gig sticks in which means you have to replace them both later. IT's half the cost to add a single stick into a vacant slot.
Will the description say 8gb (1×8) +(1×8)? Something like that.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Will the description say 8gb (1×8) +(1×8)? Something like that.
Yes in details of the specifications it typically describes the configuration and type of Ram. If you are not 100% certain, just post the link and some us will review and advise if we think it's a good fit.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Yes in details of the specifications it typically describes the configuration and type of Ram. If you are not 100% certain, just post the link and some us will review and advise if we think it's a good fit.
I meant in determining an open slot for future memory. Say I buy an 8gb, is there any way in the description to know if there's an extra opening for an 8gb stick to make it 16 total?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yes, the OEM typically defines it as have X amount of Slots, and will also advise options on how to fill it, or will tell you how they offer it.

For example an LG Laptop I randomly found on the Web says => "16GB DDR4 3200MHz - 8GB x 1 (On Board) - 8GB x 1" => which means this one has hard wired non-removable 8 GB Ram Stick and one in a removable slot. Some cheaper versions will only offer it with the 8 GB hard wired chip, and advise 1 Slot empty for future expansion.

Sometimes, a vendor isn't forthcoming with the details, and you may have to ask them, the OEM, or another supplier for the info. For example Costco.com. I randomly picked an inexpensive HP 14" Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i3-1125G4 - 1080p Windows 11 - Model 14-dq2053cl => $499 (no Black Friday Special yet). In their specifications it just says 8 GB and no designation if it's 4+4 in 2 slots or 8GB in a single slot.

So a quick Google search with "hp 14-dq2053cl specs" and a link to HP Support pops up. It advises Standard Memory is:

8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (1 x 8 GB) => Which means it's a single Ram chip.

Then another quick Google search with "14-dq2053cl ram upgrade" and a link to Crucial (a memory manufacturer) pops up. It says for the model requested:

Maximum memory:
16GB
Slots:
2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard memory:
8GB removable

So that tells you there's room for expansion as it comes with one slot filled with 8 GB.

Like I said earlier, if you find something of interest to you, just post the link and some us will review and advise if we think it's a good fit.

Happy Shopping. ;)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the OEM typically defines it as have X amount of Slots, and will also advise options on how to fill it, or will tell you how they offer it.

For example an LG Laptop I randomly found on the Web says => "16GB DDR4 3200MHz - 8GB x 1 (On Board) - 8GB x 1" => which means this one has hard wired non-removable 8 GB Ram Stick and one in a removable slot. Some cheaper versions will only offer it with the 8 GB hard wired chip, and advise 1 Slot empty for future expansion.

Sometimes, a vendor isn't forthcoming with the details, and you may have to ask them, the OEM, or another supplier for the info. For example Costco.com. I randomly picked an inexpensive HP 14" Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i3-1125G4 - 1080p Windows 11 - Model 14-dq2053cl => $499 (no Black Friday Special yet). In their specifications it just says 8 GB and no designation if it's 4+4 in 2 slots or 8GB in a single slot.

So a quick Google search with "hp 14-dq2053cl specs" and a link to HP Support pops up. It advises Standard Memory is:

Then another quick Google search with "14-dq2053cl ram upgrade" and a link to Crucial (a memory manufacturer) pops up. It says for the model requested:

Maximum memory:
16GB
Slots:
2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard memory:
8GB removable

So that tells you there's room for expansion as it comes with one slot filled with 8 GB.

Like I said earlier, if you find something of interest to you, just post the link and some us will review and advise if we think it's a good fit.

Happy Shopping. ;)
Better to have one 8gb slot than two 4gb slots, or doesn't matter?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Maximum memory:
16GB
Slots:
2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard memory:
8GB removable

Happy Shopping. ;)
This is a very good point and something that isn't pointed out enough on laptops.

There are a lot of models that aren't really upgradable. Everything, including any HDD/SDD, is soldered to the main board. Nothing wrong with that, but as you put it, there aren't extra dimm slots for RAM unless you make sure.

Same for the main drive. It could be a few different drive types, but I'd look for a laptop with an m.2 slot that will allow for upgraded storage, and is very easy to install. SD card slots help, but that type of storage usually isn't nearly as fast as an internal drive, and usually don't last long when in constant usage. You can get specific SD cards for high usage though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Expandability is always preferable. The RAM in the current slots doesn't really matter if they're removable. You can always swap them out with something higher capacity. One slot for RAM is better than no slots.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
DDR Ram is marketing shorthand for Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM: A clock is used to read data from a DRAM. (Dynamic Random-Access Memory - the wafers of chips - or sticks of Ram we are talking about.) DDR memory reads data on both the rising and falling edge of the clock, achieving a faster data transfer rate. With 2 Slots, a Motherboard designer can utilize this ability to shift information with each and every clock pulse, accomplishing what is referred to as "Double Pumping" (if I remember correctly - it's been a long time since I did anything in depth in this regard.)

So aside from the geekiness above, what's important is: yes it's theoretically better to have 2x4 GB sticks in two slots double pumping than an 8 GB stick in a single slot. But most folks probably wouldn't notice the speed increase these days. However, maximizing the Ram to the full specifications, by say putting in a single 8GB stick in one slot at time of purchase, and leaving one slot vacant for you to add a second later, may do wonders for your cash flow now; and the performance later.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
DDR Ram is marketing shorthand for Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM: A clock is used to read data from a DRAM. (Dynamic Random-Access Memory - the wafers of chips - or sticks of Ram we are talking about.) DDR memory reads data on both the rising and falling edge of the clock, achieving a faster data transfer rate. With 2 Slots, a Motherboard designer can utilize this ability to shift information with each and every clock pulse, accomplishing what is referred to as "Double Pumping" (if I remember correctly - it's been a long time since I did anything in depth in this regard.)

So aside from the geekiness above, what's important is: yes it's theoretically better to have 2x4 GB sticks in two slots double pumping than an 8 GB stick in a single slot. But most folks probably wouldn't notice the speed increase these days. However, maximizing the Ram to the full specifications, by say putting in a single 8GB stick in one slot at time of purchase, and leaving one slot vacant for you to add a second later, may do wonders for your cash flow now; and the performance later.
I couldn't find the model number? I'd be surprised if it was expandable.

Inspiron 15 3000
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
8GB, 8GBx1, DDR4, 2666MHz
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I couldn't find the model number? I'd be surprised if it was expandable.

Inspiron 15 3000
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
8GB, 8GBx1, DDR4, 2666MHz
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
From what I can find on the Crucial website, these 15 series 3000 laptops have either 1 or 2 dimm slots and are upgradable.

The downside is that unless you have the specific model, it's not really possible to tell if it has just 1 slot. Also doesn't tell you what max supported memory is. 16gb was an option, but it had 2 dimm slots and 1 is filled from the factory with an 8gb module.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/inspiron-15-(3551) There are a LOT of variations of that series, so you get different results depending on the actual model.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I agree Dell often doesn't define exactly what you are buying until they build it. Ages ago they used to start with a base design, and then have the Buyer customize it on line to get what they wanted. Now it's just a cookie that's premade with virtually no options.

This one defines Memory as 8GB, 8GBx1, DDR4, 2666MHz so unless I could get confirmation of something else from them, expect it to have just have a full single slot. This isn't unusual for an entry level Laptop (note AC wi-fi when AX is current spec., 720p at 30 fps HD camera, etc.)

I just scanned the comments by reviewers and Tom said 3 days ago: "the capability of adding more memory is limited to 1 slot and in that one slot I cant add more than 8 gigs of memory that is terrible.. very poor motherboard.."

There's also a few about poor Wi-Fi connectivity.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
From what I can find on the Crucial website, these 15 series 3000 laptops have either 1 or 2 dimm slots and are upgradable.

The downside is that unless you have the specific model, it's not really possible to tell if it has just 1 slot. Also doesn't tell you what max supported memory is. 16gb was an option, but it had 2 dimm slots and 1 is filled from the factory with an 8gb module.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/inspiron-15-(3551) There are a LOT of variations of that series, so you get different results depending on the actual model.
It's the 3511.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I won't ask why it was on the top of your ladder. ;)
Any recs on ram and space for holding the music, general surfing and youtube? My ma gets 365 but not sure I need all that. I can do fine with free office programs.
Raid's nice but not really looking to spend a lot. I dunno $3-500 hopefully on sales this xmas. I already have a separate drive for backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I’ve got 8g ram out of a Samsung if anyone wants

B

Brettc

Audioholic
And I was running 1t ssd with windows 10 pro with no problems

B