KODI Discussion Thread

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I've using Kodi for a long time and never knew about this neat and quick Z-function for zoom.

So I've been watching all my 2.4 movies zoom in for 1.9. :D

No loss in video quality for my eyes, but these movies are new movies that look awesome. I bet old movies won't look too great if zoom in. :D
I only brought it up because I figured lens zoom would be less quality loss than digital zoom.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Samsung just released their 8K HDTV line, the lowest one is only $5.000.00 and top of the line $15.000.00. shouldn't be a problem for all you big money grips!

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Does anyone know why KODI would playback lossless 44.1kHz dumped CDs at 48kHz on an Nvidia Shield (Pro)? If I play a DTS CD, it plays perfectly at 44.1kHz, but anything else seems to get upsampled to 48kHz whether I want it to or not. One of the things that bothered me about FIRE TV was that it upsamples everything in hardware. I thought the Shield didn't have that problem (else how is it playing DTS CD dumps at 44.1? Whereas FireTV plays them at 48 and screws the pitch up as a result). I doubt it could audibly affect the signal, but from a purist standpoint, it'd be nice if it played things at the rate it's recorded. I didn't get a reply on the KODI forums (one of the developers there doesn't like me from an incident many years ago so I think they avoid replying to any questions), but I thought someone here might know or if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know why KODI would playback lossless 44.1kHz dumped CDs at 48kHz on an Nvidia Shield (Pro)? If I play a DTS CD, it plays perfectly at 44.1kHz, but anything else seems to get upsampled to 48kHz whether I want it to or not. One of the things that bothered me about FIRE TV was that it upsamples everything in hardware. I thought the Shield didn't have that problem (else how is it playing DTS CD dumps at 44.1? Whereas FireTV plays them at 48 and screws the pitch up as a result). I doubt it could audibly affect the signal, but from a purist standpoint, it'd be nice if it played things at the rate it's recorded. I didn't get a reply on the KODI forums (one of the developers there doesn't like me from an incident many years ago so I think they avoid replying to any questions), but I thought someone here might know or if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.
I definitely don't know why Kodi would upmix 44.1kHz to 48kHz. I figured Kodi would just bypass the audio if we set it to Bypass.

But for music, I don't use Kodi. I use the Yamaha MusicCast to stream music from my phone. I don't think MusicCast would upmix like that.

I wonder if Windows and other media players like VLC would upmix or alter the audio signal (if there is a setting for Bypass, which I assume is default)?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I definitely don't know why Kodi would upmix 44.1kHz to 48kHz. I figured Kodi would just bypass the audio if we set it to Bypass.

But for music, I don't use Kodi. I use the Yamaha MusicCast to stream music from my phone. I don't think MusicCast would upmix like that.

I wonder if Windows and other media players like VLC would upmix or alter the audio signal (if there is a setting for Bypass, which I assume is default)?
If you don't use exclusive mode windows typically messes with things. Foobar2000 is my preferred audio player when I'm looking to keep things away from the windows mixer, but Kodi has a wasapi exclusive mode that should keep the signal untouched unless you're telling it to resample. Ever used Kodi D's player? I installed it today just to play around and am very impressed with it. This is PC only btw.

On my shield I use Plex for my music collection and as far as I can tell it isn't doing anything resampling. I'll be sure to check now though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't use exclusive mode windows typically messes with things. Foobar2000 is my preferred audio player when I'm looking to keep things away from the windows mixer, but Kodi has a wasapi exclusive mode that should keep the signal untouched unless you're telling it to resample. Ever used Kodi D's player? I installed it today just to play around and am very impressed with it. This is PC only btw.

On my shield I use Plex for my music collection and as far as I can tell it isn't doing anything resampling. I'll be sure to check now though.
Yeah I set WASAPI for the HDMI Audio on Kodi.

I have heard of Kodi DSPlayer, but have never used it.

What's the main advantage of DSPlayer? Better 4K video playback?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I set WASAPI for the HDMI Audio on Kodi.

I have heard of Kodi DSPlayer, but have never used it.

What's the main advantage of DSPlayer? Better 4K video playback?
For me it's better HDR playback on my non-HDR display (projector). With my shield the color looks terrible so until I get an HDR projector this windows box will have to do. I had a cheapo s905x box, but it was too underpowered. For what it is it is fantastic though.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Does anyone know why KODI would playback lossless 44.1kHz dumped CDs at 48kHz on an Nvidia Shield (Pro)? If I play a DTS CD, it plays perfectly at 44.1kHz, but anything else seems to get upsampled to 48kHz whether I want it to or not.
It's one of the weaknesses of the Shield audio mixer that really bothers me. All PCM gets upsampled to 48k. The DTS CD isn't PCM, but a bitstream, so it gets passed along unchanged. I wish there was a PCM passthrough or exclusive mode (e.g. Windows WASAPI) but there doesn't seem to be one. To be fair though, I haven't heard an audible difference after upsampling. My sense of rightness is offended just knowing it's not the original.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me it's better HDR playback on my non-HDR display (projector).
So you uninstalled Kodi. Then you installed the DSPlayer.

And it runs just like Kodi (same looks), but you get better HDR playback on your non-HDR Mitsubishi PJ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know why KODI would playback lossless 44.1kHz dumped CDs at 48kHz on an Nvidia Shield (Pro)?
It's one of the weaknesses of the Shield audio mixer that really bothers me. All PCM gets upsampled to 48k. The DTS CD isn't PCM, but a bitstream, so it gets passed along unchanged. I wish there was a PCM passthrough or exclusive mode (e.g. Windows WASAPI) but there doesn't seem to be one.
Okay, I totally missed the "Nvidia Shield" part on VonMagnum's post.

So Nvidia Shield doesn't allow WASAPI (pass-through) like on a Windows PC.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So you uninstalled Kodi. Then you installed the DSPlayer.

And it runs just like Kodi (same looks), but you get better HDR playback on your non-HDR Mitsubishi PJ?
Yeah, Kodi DS player is just a modified version of Kodi for windows that allows the use of Direct Show filters. Much better video playback. My PC is too old to use libreelec properly so windows it is. I'd rather spend $85 on a video card than buy a new motherboard, cpu, memory just to test this.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's one of the weaknesses of the Shield audio mixer that really bothers me. All PCM gets upsampled to 48k. The DTS CD isn't PCM, but a bitstream, so it gets passed along unchanged. I wish there was a PCM passthrough or exclusive mode (e.g. Windows WASAPI) but there doesn't seem to be one. To be fair though, I haven't heard an audible difference after upsampling. My sense of rightness is offended just knowing it's not the original.
Interesting. I need to figure out if mine does that (not that I don't believe you. Just curious). I don't see an easy way to verify PCM sample rate on my Denon or Onkyo.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What do you think about the Nvidia GeForce 1050 and beyond for video playback?

Or you think the GeForce 1030 is good enough?
I got a 1030 and it works great as long as you set it for dxva instead of cuda for decoding. It actually has fantastic video quality. Haven't tested with an HDR/4K display though. My shield will take its place once I get a 4k/HDR pj. Unless quality is an issue then I'll have this PC, so I'm good either way.

I'm annoyed by my GTX 970 though. I have one I'm not using (was using it as a physics card in my gaming PC) and really hoped it would work for an HTPC card. Nope. No HEVC decoding capability. Would have been nice to use my $350 gaming card in an HTPC, but the $85 card works MUCH better for video playback.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got a 1030 and it works great as long as you set it for dxva instead of cuda for decoding. It actually has fantastic video quality. Haven't tested with an HDR/4K display though. My shield will take its place once I get a 4k/HDR pj. Unless quality is an issue then I'll have this PC, so I'm good either way.

I'm annoyed by my GTX 970 though. I have one I'm not using (was using it as a physics card in my gaming PC) and really hoped it would work for an HTPC card. Nope. No HEVC decoding capability. Would have been nice to use my $350 gaming card in an HTPC, but the $85 card works MUCH better for video playback.
I installed the GeForce 1030 card last night. Running Kodi 18.0 64-bit w/ Windows 7.

It’s working great with my BenQ W6000 for both 1080p and 4K HDR files.

Hopefully it will work great w/ the JVC NX5 playing back 4K HDR. :D

Yeah, I think most people into PC have had that expensive PC card experience. Been bitten once too many.

That’s why I was hoping the 1030 card (rated for 8K video) is sufficient since I don’t want to spend another $300 on a card that will be beaten by an $80 card in about 5 years. :D

I’m exactly 0% into gaming, just pure 100% video playback w/ Kodi.

And yes, I’m sure someone is thinking, “If you’re buying a JVC NX5, why are you bothered by a PC Card that is only $200-300?” :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I thought DTS CDs were encoded in plain PCM (hence the WAV files). KODI won't even play DTS Wavs wrapped in ALAC, though (you just get noise). My 1st gen ATV would play them without even knowing it as it just played them without touching the unwrapped signal. It also played at the correct sampling rates. Amazing how a box from 2007 does it right, but on you buy in 2019 screws it up....

If KODI can recognize a DTS signal in a WAV file and and send it out in untouched, I don't know why it cannot do the same for all PCM audio. This probably explains why I cannot play a dump of my Auro-3D movie Red Tails, however as it encodes the Auro -3D signal in plain PCM. No passthrough setting will allow it to play correctly. Yet it IS 48kHz already so clearly the NVIDIA mixer is modifying the signal (or KODI is). Yet my other Auro-3D movies that wrap the encoded PCM signal in DTS-HD Master Audio decode just fine from KODI.

I posted that at the KODI forums. They ignore me there 100% for insulting a developer who was being so nasty to some poor guy (I thought it was a private comment to the guy, but I guess it wasn't. The developer guy (whose first language is German, not English and probably why he misunderstood the guy but insulted him three times anyway) hasn't gotten over it four years later (my warning level is a permanent 100% there while those guys talk down to everyone at will. They even banned their own web guy from blocking a developer from attacking another one.

I can't say I like most of Team KODI much, but it's free so that means no complaints ever. I'd rather pay and have some recourse and feedback/suggestions listened to rather than be told to let them know when I've added the code (e.g. There is still no tag reading for M4V (MP4) video files 13 YEARS after Apple added it to the first Apple TV! The music tag reader can actually already read the video file tags, so a little cut/paste and sorting of the tag code could have had it added probably within a day or two, but they have literally ZERO interest (We would probably have better MKV tagging software by now if KODI supported tags there as well). We've had music tags since the late 20th Century, but are stuck with archaic naming based scraper/database with videos in 2019 still...RIDICULOUS IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I tested the GT -130 card with my 4K Sony TV. Looks like 4K works great with the GT-130 card. :D

Resolution 4096 x 2160.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis