Klipsch rw12 problem

A

Aspenels

Audiophyte
First off, I apologise if someone else has had this problem, but I've been researching for weeks with no solution.

Onkyo tx-nr609 receiver
Klipsch reference series speakers in 7.1 format, the .1 being the old rw12.

The problem I'm having is not getting any output from the sub whatsoever. It's worked for years; within the last year I moved the setup downstairs and it worked fine. I recently noticed it wasn't working, but the light on the back still would turn on. I brought the sub over to a friend's house that had an onkyo rc270, hooked it up and it didn't work either. Tried multiple RCAs, and none of them worked. So I assumed the sub/amp was bad. Back at home, I hooked up the speaker leads from the sub cone to the front right channel and got sound, so that lead me to believe it was an amp problem.

Fast forward to yesterday, I received my bash 300s, connected the speaker leads, hooked it up through the RCA Line in and got no sound. I took the front left and right speaker wires and hooked those into the high level in on the Bash, set the speaker size to full, still with no output.

I'm stumped! Is this something that can be solved, or am I doomed??

Thanks for reading.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might try to hook the BASH amp up to another speaker to make sure the problem is with the amp and not the driver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amp isn't the only thing that goes bad. Check the wires to the driver. I've had them come loose before inside the cabinet, especially after moving. If connections look good, could be the driver that failed, not the amp and that's what it sounds like here. Connecting the amp to another speaker should confirm that as Shady mentioned.

A

Aspenels

Audiophyte
Ok, so I hooked up the new bash amp to another working subwoofer, still the same results. When I plug the RCA into the line in, I can hear a slight buzz before the plug is all the way seated, which I believe is normal. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the replies

A

Aspenels

Audiophyte
Is there any other way to test the subwoofer and/or the output on the receiver that I'm overlooking? Thanks

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, so I hooked up the new bash amp to another working subwoofer, still the same results. When I plug the RCA into the line in, I can hear a slight buzz before the plug is all the way seated, which I believe is normal. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the replies
I recommend turning off or unplugging equipment before make connection changes. Also did you check the speaker settings to make sure they are to small?

A

Aspenels

Audiophyte
Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure my equipment is turned off before making connection changes. I tried setting the speakers to both small and to full with the same result. Another thing I tried was hooking up the Klipsch driver to a car mono amp for a quick period of time, and it worked just fine. Also tried hooking up the RCAs from the car to the bash amp plugged into the garage 120v and into the Klipsch driver and it didn't work. Would that mean the new bash amp is bad or the line in is bad?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure my equipment is turned off before making connection changes. I tried setting the speakers to both small and to full with the same result. Another thing I tried was hooking up the Klipsch driver to a car mono amp for a quick period of time, and it worked just fine. Also tried hooking up the RCAs from the car to the bash amp plugged into the garage 120v and into the Klipsch driver and it didn't work. Would that mean the new bash amp is bad or the line in is bad?
It's possible you got a bad amp. Definitely set the speakers to small. Also try using the zone 2 sub out out or zone 2 main out to check on the line, just make sure the source your playing is analog not digital (hdmi, coax, or optical).

A

Aspenels

Audiophyte
Turns out the new replacement amp I received was bad. Just got the new one in the mail today and everything is working with the LFE in. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis