Klipsch RP8000f's vs JBL studio 590's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do they sound as surrounds? I was thinking about that but are the compression drivers too direct? My credit card is speaking to me...
They're fine but not sure what you mean by direct. Right now they're rear surrounds with 580s for surrounds (590 mains, 520 center) and the overall sound is quite good.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How do they sound as surrounds? I was thinking about that but are the compression drivers too direct? My credit card is speaking to me...
Honestly the 590's throw out such a huge soundstage I'm thinking is there smaller siblings in the lineup can do the same thing Id have no problem utilizing them as surrounds. The compression drivers don't overwhelm you at closer range that just sound neutral and accurate and very quick and detailed great separation with instruments and details nice air to them never too bright AT ALL in my opinion. The Klipsch RP8000f's were the same way not as much air and a smidge less detail and separation but still very nice flat accurate response not bright one bit AT ALL. Very good that way very pleasant to listen too

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Newegg flash sale, but JBL was the seller
Ahh, ok. That makes sense. Dude, i am a 30 year Cerwin Vega guy that switched over to JBL recently. Im in Heaven with the 590's man. I cannot believe how good they sound. I always knew about JBL and respected the company and speakers but after learning about Harman, of course Crown and JBL I've become hooked. I've owned the huge CLS215's when they first came out and dug those too. But they are not as accurate like the JBL's. The 590's are pristine. The louder you play them the better they sound. I stayed away from Klipsch because everyone seems to own Klipsch these days.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
They're fine but not sure what you mean by direct. Right now they're rear surrounds with 580s for surrounds (590 mains, 520 center) and the overall sound is quite good.
Awesome, ok. What i mean is, i have the 590's at a rake angle of a half inch aiming the horn slightly upward instead of standing level at you and slightly toed in. Voices still dead center but with a more open air sound. So in retrospect, i was wondering how the 530's sounded on stands three feet high above your head.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly the 590's throw out such a huge soundstage I'm thinking is there smaller siblings in the lineup can do the same thing Id have no problem utilizing them as surrounds. The compression drivers don't overwhelm you at closer range that just sound neutral and accurate and very quick and detailed great separation with instruments and details nice air to them never too bright AT ALL in my opinion. The Klipsch RP8000f's were the same way not as much air and a smidge less detail and separation but still very nice flat accurate response not bright one bit AT ALL. Very good that way very pleasant to listen too
That was my attraction to the system in the first place, having that same cd all around...I have plenty of subs to take up the lower end and think it all comes together quite nicely. OTOH I am still very happy to have gotten the full 7 speaker set for $2050 delivered :)

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
That was my attraction to the system in the first place, having that same cd all around...I have plenty of subs to take up the lower end and think it all comes together quite nicely. OTOH I am still very happy to have gotten the full 7 speaker set for $2050 delivered :)
Well, i think tomorrow morning, im ordering the smaller version for surrounds. You guys convinced me, thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome, ok. What i mean is, i have the 590's at a rake angle of a half inch aiming the horn slightly upward instead of sitting level at you while sitting and slightly toed in. Voices still dead center but with a more open air sound. So in retrospect, i was wondering how the 530's sounded on stands three feet high above your head.
My 590s are slightly toed in and set to "cross" behind me at my seat. I leave them level, tho. My 530s are perched on the top of a cabinet angled slightly down and laid sideways several feet behind me probably but yeah about 3 feet above the ears, both facing straight forward, about 5 feet apart at the tweets which are both on the inside. Nice enveloping sound.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
My 590s are slightly toed in and set to "cross" behind me at my seat. I leave them level, tho. My 530s are perched on the top of a cabinet angled slightly down and laid sideways several feet behind me probably but yeah about 3 feet above the ears, both facing straight forward, about 5 feet apart at the tweets which are both on the inside. Nice enveloping sound.
Ok cool...that helps allot. Im buying them tomorrow.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
I'd think about one for a center, too unless you already have the 520....
Oh yeah, i already have the 520. Forgot to mention that. An awesome center channel. Voices are dead on. No honkiness. No cabinet resonance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah, i already have the 520. Forgot to mention that. An awesome center channel. Voices are dead on. No honkiness. No cabinet resonance.
Just wish they'd at least have built the 520 with the 6.5" drivers like the 580 and 530 if not the 8" of the 590....oh well.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Just wish they'd at least have built the 520 with the 6.5" drivers like the 580 and 530 if not the 8" of the 590....oh well.
I agree. And make it a 2-1/2 way speaker. 4 6-1/2's (2 on each side) with the compression driver in the center. Or same with 5-1/4 inch drivers. I prefer a wide center. Many JBL guys on other forums have brought this up as well.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
The 590s and 530s sound nice, but I’m not so sure of the center channel on paper the infinity r263 seems to be superior. 2 6.5” woofers 1” tweeter and a 4” mid.
Is there a better option then the 520?

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Ive read threads where guys were placing the Klipsch R and RP series centers with the 590's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 590s and 530s sound nice, but I’m not so sure of the center channel on paper the infinity r263 seems to be superior. 2 6.5” woofers 1” tweeter and a 4” mid.
Is there a better option then the 520?
Not in the same series, but the Studio 2 series center I've seen suggested. The Infinity may work well, one way to find out.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
You guys have me thinking hard about throwing down on some JBL. Can you suggest a low profile side surround that would pair well? I don't have a lot of clearance to accommodate a traditional bookshelf.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I guess it's for my benefit that the cherry finish isn't available in the US. House rules- no black towers in the living room! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis