Klipsch RP8000f's vs JBL studio 590's

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok I couldn't resist the JBL's were on sale for 500 each I got them for 1500 flat.

I'm going to head to head them with my beloved Klipsch RP8000f's. JBL has a generous 30 day return policy

Over the next 5 days I'll be posting my impressions.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First impression packaging boxes came in good shape

Delivery was good on time nice enough to drop em off in the garage.

Instructions are on the box to unpack I heard they didn't do that maybe they've changed there packaging

20190521_133216.jpg
20190521_133153.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Packaging inside is good thick foam around all 3 levels of the speaker not double boxed tho
20190521_140219.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here's out off the box.

I love there look.

I especially like the fact that these are designed to play with the grills on.

They look gorgeous

20190521_142422.jpg

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Unless they sound like crap these are not going back I love there look

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'll finish unboxing tonight after work I'll setup in the morning play music for a couple days really let em rip this weekend and give you guys my AB impressions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. I think yours came packed better than my 590s did, more similar to the way my 580s came...don't remember unboxing instructions on either, tho I never look for such (years in logistics pretty much took care of any curiosity there).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I certainly prefer the look of those to the Klipsch copper colored drivers, which show through the grilles in good light. Much classier, less glitzy.

I know, personal preference.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I certainly prefer the look of those to the Klipsch copper colored drivers, which show through the grilles in good light. Much classier, less glitzy.

I know, personal preference.
I love the look of the Klipsch they are classy but the JBL for me just have this sexy American muscle car kind off look and feel to them

They just look powerful like a horse in the stall about ready to explode out of the gate

Plus they just have this unique look to them I like original and they just stand out from a lot of the standard speakers in a box look even the pretty ones

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Instructions are on the box to unpack I heard they didn't do that maybe they've changed there packaging
That must be new, as I would have noticed and I am certain that I unpacked my 580 from the end rather than the front as you did!

Nice. I think yours came packed better than my 590s did, more similar to the way my 580s came...don't remember unboxing instructions on either, tho I never look for such (years in logistics pretty much took care of any curiosity there).
I was impressed by the unpacking instructions on my Klipsch RF-82ii. You couldn't miss them, under the "open here" flaps was the hardware for the feet/outriggers, and the speaker was already upside down such that you attached the hardware while it was still in the box then flipped it upright onto the newly installed feet. Stuff like that cost very little to implement, but goes a long way in convincing the buyer that there are intelligent/thoughtful people upstream!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kurt's comment reminds me to ask....were the feet pre-installed on the 590s? They had no issues if so?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I love the look of the Klipsch they are classy but the JBL for me just have this sexy American muscle car kind off look and feel to them

They just look powerful like a horse in the stall about ready to explode out of the gate

Plus they just have this unique look to them I like original and they just stand out from a lot of the standard speakers in a box look even the pretty ones
Never thought of them quite that way.....but can see that some now that you point it out...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Kurt's comment reminds me to ask....were the feet pre-installed on the 590s? They had no issues if so?
Yes the feet were already installed. But I had no issues that some have had all feet were intact and in good shape

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Enjoy the audio adventure -- the Studio 5 series are some good sounding speakers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok I have them setup juggling time with work and parents and preparing to move so this has been difficult to get time in. I'm looking forward to this weekend

20190523_015717.jpg
The one thing that stands out the most is the size difference the Klipsch are beasts The JBL's are just monsters
20190523_015854.jpg
I have them setup starting at 5 feet 4 inches. From tweeter to center tweeter on both sides. Will work with adjustments and different toe ins from there.

Going to make sure there level matched and manual eq in I never use room corrections. Just my preference I turn all that off on any system I use.

Run them on low to break in my ears for a couple days I've never been a fan off speaker break in but I do believe in ear break in lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok I listened at them at low to moderate to high levels before work yesterday I couldn't help it! Lol.

The reason I couldn't help it is that these are some very very nice enjoyable speakers.

There pretty awesome.

They are better then the RP 8000fs in my opinion so far. But more critical listening needs to be done. And some AB switching ears have poor memory.

Here is what I love about them so far.

Highs: hands down no question the JBL's. They have that sense of space air and separation that I look for. They are not bright neither were the Klipsch. They are very neutral so we're the Klipsch. But they play clean at way higher volumes although they can handle more power then the Klipsch so that's no knock against the Klipsch. The Klipsch have wonderful highs and they are very quick and detailed but the JBL have all of that with much better separation and space and air clear knod goes to the JBL.

Mids is a tie. I prefer the JBL's but only due to my ear preference. They both have excellent midrange the Klipsch have this wonderful meaty tonal balance that makes everything so wonderful to listen to. The JBLs have excellent tonal balance as well. The JBL'S is more clean and neutral though it sounds not cool but more like a monitor which is what my ears like. The Klipsch are meaty and thicker and I'd say the mids are a nice warm not to inaccuracy it's just the way they are tuned. My ears just prefer the tuning of the JBL's so far. But as far as separation accuracy and details midrange being to forward or recessed (which neither are)well it's a tie they both sound great it's just what your ears prefer.

The midbass and bass. Hands down the JBL's whether it was 2 channel surround crossovers set at 80 60 whatever I felt the JBLs presence more then the Klipsch. With subs without subs

And it wasn't just SPL level as well. They were quicker more accurate better separation on instruments the Klipsch in no means embarrass themselves the JBL's just have an advantage to my ears that is audible

Vocals the JBL hands down on female voices the best I've heard so far from any speaker I've heard so far

The Klipsch male vocals are better but only slightly. I give it to the way they are voiced that thick meaty wonderful tonal balance just lends itself to male voices really well.

Movie voices both are exceptional dead tie here. One of my favorite movie references for voices is VENOM. If your system and speakers can handle that center dialogue at reference well then they can handle anything exceptionally well. They both passed this test with flying colors.

The Sound stage and imaging dead tie for imaging they both do it exceptionally well. But the Soundstage is all JBL. I don't know why but the JBL's are they put out the biggest soundstage I've ever heard. They are stupid easy to setup. Toe in no toe in didn't matter they sounded great. And they sounded the best of any speaker I ever heard of sounding well at any seat I would jump over too. The JBL and Klipsch are setup in the exact same spots it's where speakers sound good in my setup. But I could hear more deviations off axis with the Klipsch then I could with the JBL's the Klipsch sounded good still but not as good as the JBLs on axis they both sounded exceptional accurate neutral with no brightness I could pick up on

This is a big living room with one row of seats stretching 14 feet across. The JBLs have put out the best soundstage of any speakers I've ever heard to fill that front stage

Takeaways so far. This is not a fair apples to apples comparison here. The Klipsch retail for 600 the JBL normally for 1000. They both go on excellent sales tho I bought my Klipsch for 480 each my JBL for 500. The JBLs look I love but many won't but the build is skimped on a little compared to the Klipsch. Where JBL spent all the money your paying for is clearly the internals. The Klipsch did the best they could at both build quality and parts and sound quality.

More insights after I listen to them with multiple sources and do more AB comparison but my ears know what they like and I'm pretty sure most observations won't change. But if they do especially after AB I'll let you know

But right now I'd say if both are on sale I'd take the JBLs any day a true bargain at 500.
If at full price I'd take the Klipsch well if I hadn't heard the JBLs side by side I'd still be very happy with the Klipsch.

If I had to return the JBL'S I'd still be able to live with the Klipsch and be very happy.

BUT!

I would miss my JBLs! Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis