T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just saw these advertised, looks interesting and definitely interested in seeing them tested. +/-3 db at 14.5 HZ for $1800. For the money I’m sure there’s better options but at least Klipsch is trying to compete.

M

moodysj33

Audiophyte
Just saw these advertised, looks interesting and definitely interested in seeing them tested. +/-3 db at 14.5 HZ for $1800. For the money I’m sure there’s better options but at least Klipsch is trying to compete.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, might change some perceptions if the 16” Klipsch sub outperforms or matches the $2900 SVS PB16-Ultra.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, might change some perceptions if the 16” Klipsch sub outperforms or matches the $2900 SVS PB16-Ultra.
Yeah especially since I’d expect sales far more often on the Klipsch although not sure how low prices can go for this series .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Can’t wait for an actual review. The marketing is first rate to say the least.
We know that Klipsch has been working with THX for over a decade on their THX speakers and subs. Taken them long enough to extend that towards their main line.

Maybe the world will change their perception of Klipsch if they can extend both their THX speakers and subs to their main Home Theater line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
We know that Klipsch has been working with THX for over a decade on their THX speakers and subs. Taken them long enough to extend that towards their main line.

Maybe the world will change their perception of Klipsch if they can extend both their THX speakers and subs to their main Home Theater line.
They definitely could. I’ve never been excited about a Klipsch subwoofer, and I’m not necessarily excited about this one. But it does seem like they’ve taken it seriously. The cabinet seems a little small for the claimed extension but that’s only one part of the equation. If it can actually compete with the pb16 at this price point, then I think it will be a great option. Still, I wanna se a real review of one. Haven’t watched the video above. Did you?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They definitely could. I’ve never been excited about a Klipsch subwoofer, and I’m not necessarily excited about this one. But it does seem like they’ve taken it seriously. The cabinet seems a little small for the claimed extension but that’s only one part of the equation. If it can actually compete with the pb16 at this price point, then I think it will be a great option. Still, I wanna se a real review of one. Haven’t watched the video above. Did you?
The video doesn't show much. They aren't running those sweeps at anywhere near maximum volume, so we have no idea about the dynamic range of these subs. We only know the base frequency response. Their testing was done with all ports open which hurts extension on the PB16-Ultra, and if all they cared about was the nominal low-frequency extension, they tested the PB16-Ultra in the wrong configuration. All we know from this video is that the Klipsch is more deeply tuned than the PB16-Ultra with all ports open, or the Klipsch's high-pass filter uses a more relaxed slope. Not surprising since the PB16 uses a 20Hz tuning frequency with all ports open and a very aggressive high-pass filter below that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The video doesn't show much. They aren't running those sweeps at anywhere near maximum volume, so we have no idea about the dynamic range of these subs. We only know the base frequency response. Their testing was done with all ports open which hurts extension on the PB16-Ultra, and if all they cared about was the nominal low-frequency extension, they tested the PB16-Ultra in the wrong configuration. All we know from this video is that the Klipsch is more deeply tuned than the PB16-Ultra with all ports open, or the Klipsch's high-pass filter uses a more relaxed slope. Not surprising since the PB16 uses a 20Hz tuning frequency with all ports open and a very aggressive high-pass filter below that.
Thanks for that. You confirmed some of my suspicions. What’s your knee jerk reaction to this thing?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that YouTube video. A friend of mine texted me that video. Their SPL vs FR graph looks interesting between Klipsch vs SVS, but still not a real review.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for that. You confirmed some of my suspicions. What’s your knee jerk reaction to this thing?
It's hard to say what they are targeting. I would guess good performance from 20 to 25Hz, and then big numbers from 30Hz and above. I think it will be a bit like the Paradigm Defiance X15. But I could be wrong. I doubt very much it could equal the PB16-Ultra from 16Hz to 30Hz, but I would guess it could exceed the PB16-Ultra's midbass capability. I might be getting one for review sometime this summer, so maybe we will find out for sure.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It's hard to say what they are targeting. I would guess good performance from 20 to 25Hz, and then big numbers from 30Hz and above. I think it will be a bit like the Paradigm Defiance X15. But I could be wrong. I doubt very much it could equal the PB16-Ultra from 16Hz to 30Hz, but I would guess it could exceed the PB16-Ultra's midbass capability. I might be getting one for review sometime this summer, so maybe we will find out for sure.
Yeah they definitely need a lot of testing done ✅ to and more heavily reviewed . 14” version of this sub would be more likely I can fit in my room, however finding a job and convincing parents my subs are junk and I need better ones is easier said then done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis