Klipsch RP-150m or RP-160m for side surrounds?

J

JesseV

Enthusiast
Hi everyone..

Upgrading my side surrounds speakers and amd looking to keep them in the Klipsch family as most of my speakers are Klipsch. I see the RP-105m and RP-106m available for $200 so am wondering if I should go with the 106m since they are the same price or if that will be too much.. I currently have RF-15 towers for my fronts and RP-250c for my center. While I'm asking would another pair of the RP-105m's work for height atmos speakers if I put them on wall brackets aimed at the mlp or should I stick with the angled speaker? Thanks in advanced.

J

JesseV

Enthusiast
Because right not I have some old klipsch Quintet iii speakers for my sides.. they are ok.. but need something better that matches the front 3 better.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d buy the 106 if they’re the same price personally. And yes you can definitely wall/ceiling mount a pair for Atmos. I’ve seen towers mounted on the ceiling for Atmos lmao. I believe it was just to make a point, but it was funny. BS speakers on the ceiling are in some ways thought to be better, but the ceiling height is important, because you don’t want the speakers too close to you.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone..

Upgrading my side surrounds speakers and amd looking to keep them in the Klipsch family as most of my speakers are Klipsch. I see the RP-105m and RP-106m available for $200 so am wondering if I should go with the 106m since they are the same price or if that will be too much.. I currently have RF-15 towers for my fronts and RP-250c for my center. While I'm asking would another pair of the RP-105m's work for height atmos speakers if I put them on wall brackets aimed at the mlp or should I stick with the angled speaker? Thanks in advanced.
Do you have a sub?

Edit: the Quintets are fine unless you're using Auro 3D, just make sure to cross them at 150hz or higher.

Last edited:
J

JesseV

Enthusiast
Do you have a sub?

Edit: the Quintets are fine unless you're using Auro 3D, just make sure to cross them at 150hz or higher.
Yes I have a polk DSW pro 660wi.. it's placed under the center due ton there being a built in so tv is on top shelf, center on mid shelf and sub on the ground. I also have a Klipsch rw8 think I can use both as dual subs? Only places I could prob put the rw8 is behind the couch (so opposite wall from 660wi or off to the left of the front left tower.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes I have a polk DSW pro 660wi.. it's placed under the center due ton there being a built in so tv is on top shelf, center on mid shelf and sub on the ground. I also have a Klipsch rw8 think I can use both as dual subs? Only places I could prob put the rw8 is behind the couch (so opposite wall from 660wi or off to the left of the front left tower.
Yes you can mix subs, you just have to be smart about how you do it. The smaller Klipsch sub would need a much higher HP crossover and probably work best used near field.

If it were me, I'd skip the surrounds and put that money and some more money towards a performance sub. It will make the biggest impact on your home theater experience if you're happy LCR setup.

J

JesseV

Enthusiast
Yes you can mix subs, you just have to be smart about how you do it. The smaller Klipsch sub would need a much higher HP crossover and probably work best used near field.

If it were me, I'd skip the surrounds and put that money and some more money towards a performance sub. It will make the biggest impact on your home theater experience if you're happy LCR setup.
Good idea... any suggestions on a good sub that is not too crazy expensive and will work well with Klipsch speakers? Is one bigger sub better or is it better to have 2 smaller subs?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Good idea... any suggestions on a good sub that is not too crazy expensive and will work well with Klipsch speakers? Is one bigger sub better or is it better to have 2 smaller subs?
How large is your room, including any open areas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because right not I have some old klipsch Quintet iii speakers for my sides.. they are ok.. but need something better that matches the front 3 better.
Do you work your surrounds hard? Are the quintets making bad noises or something? While I do like a matching set, I'd want to work on the fronts first or maybe your sub as suggested instead of surrounds.

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
Is one bigger sub better or is it better to have 2 smaller subs?
- It's better to have one SERIOUS sub, then extend to two.
- "Serious" to me means at least 12" and 400W+ (though if you don't play too loud, there are less expensive ones that can fill in the bass, even some Klipsch, Monoprice...)
- Two subs will be a mess UNLESS your receiver can accommodate that, like Audyssey Sub EQ HT or ARC or whatever flavor of Dirac...or you do a lot of measurement and "Sub crawl" yourself.
- Big speaker companies seldom make the best subwoofers. Take it from this loudspeaker engineer, it's a VERY different sub-specialty.
- For the surrounds...the subwoofer does not put out "all the bass" magically. The others still put out some, and definitely midbass --> I much prefer 6" over 5"
- I mostly agree with @everettT - put the money towards a really good sub, it will enhance the experience.. But don't skip the surrounds, get something really inexpensive like https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-6-1-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-300-652?quantity=1 for the time being.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
- It's better to have one SERIOUS sub, then extend to two.
- "Serious" to me means at least 12" and 400W+ (though if you don't play too loud, there are less expensive ones that can fill in the bass, even some Klipsch, Monoprice...)
- Two subs will be a mess UNLESS your receiver can accommodate that, like Audyssey Sub EQ HT or ARC or whatever flavor of Dirac...or you do a lot of measurement and "Sub crawl" yourself.
- Big speaker companies seldom make the best subwoofers. Take it from this loudspeaker engineer, it's a VERY different sub-specialty.
- For the surrounds...the subwoofer does not put out "all the bass" magically. The others still put out some, and definitely midbass --> I much prefer 6" over 5"
- I mostly agree with @everettT - put the money towards a really good sub, it will enhance the experience.. But don't skip the surrounds, get something really inexpensive like https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-6-1-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-300-652?quantity=1 for the time being.
+1 yeah perfect info !
Yeah I am using low quality subs, just dropped them from 2 to 1 because my receiver can’t eq two subs . Sound quality is far better , I don’t have the money to upgrade to a better sub right now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis