Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I must say Klipsch fans are a tough crowd :). I've got only one Klipsch in the house, a sub I picked up a long time ago and it's just meh but the price wasn't too bad. I remember a friend of my grandparents had Klipschorns, I thought those were pretty impressive (even if they may not measure well) and speakers that sensitive do stretch your amp power out quite a bit. I've heard some of the R series of speakers, a roommate of mine had some, I thought those were a bit too bright/hard for my taste, but understand the RP series has resolved that somewhat (but no opportunity to hear one). I've gotta try and hear these Heresys someday for myself, tho.....

C

Curtdr

Enthusiast
Exactly. They sound great when you're drunk or stoned.
Beave, you'd know a lot about the drunk or stoned part...? Jus' sayin' ... I'm no saint, either... but:

Myself I don't drink anymore, at all, and I'm currently listening to a piano concerto through the Heresy IV, going back and forth between grading papers for the critical thinking class I'm teaching and the ancient Greek that I'm studying. Something to note: I'm listening to the PIANO, not the speakers... and the piano sounds beautiful, very much like a real piano right here in the room.

That said, and to another poster's point, I've seen Ted Nugent four times in concert over the years, a kick butt live rock show for sure... and I'm sure Ted sounds great through the Heresy, too, though I haven't gone there... yet...

likewise: Freebird..! LOL. Cheers. Enjoy what you enjoy: "The only person who has to like the sound of your system is... yourself."

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Beave, you'd know a lot about the drunk or stoned part...? Jus' sayin' ... I'm no saint, either... but:

Myself I don't drink anymore, at all, and I'm currently listening to a piano concerto through the Heresy IV, going back and forth between grading papers for the critical thinking class I'm teaching and the ancient Greek that I'm studying. Something to note: I'm listening to the PIANO, not the speakers... and the piano sounds beautiful, very much like a real piano right here in the room.

That said, and to another poster's point, I've seen Ted Nugent four times in concert over the years, a kick butt live rock show for sure... and I'm sure Ted sounds great through the Heresy, too, though I haven't gone there... yet...

likewise: Freebird..! LOL. Cheers. Enjoy what you enjoy: "The only person who has to like the sound of your system is... yourself."
Guttenberg, Robinson, etc are paid advertisers...Their reviews mean diddly.

If you paid to go see that stank numbskull Nugent live four times....:) Well, I guess i'm starting to see why you like your Klipsch and that infamous "live" sound that only a Klipsch is oh so uniquely capable of reproducing. It's almost like all Klipsch guys even memorized the same lines or something.... Eitherway, whatever makes you happy man ...Just don't try to justify why your Klipsch is oh so great to guys who heard it enough and hate it.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I am not a Klipsch fanatic, to start with. There Heresy IV are the first and only K that I've owned. call'em K-H.

I've read this entire, entire thread, and I have to weigh in here...

My background is value-orientation, so the K-H are also the most money I've ever spent on a speaker... in fact, it's almost heresy in my book to spend that kind of money on a speaker because I've heard many that sound so good at much less dollars... like my beloved Epi speakers, newly upgraded w parts by Human Speakers. Frankly, I thought I was DONE, once I put those Human parts in the Epi: simple speakers, exceptionally clear and non-fatiguing, and rich natural sound with great soundstage AND dispersion (so that's a neat trick... I can sit way off to the side and still get the neutral clear sound as well as a stereo image...!!! ) Easy to live with, and stand up incredibly well to critical listening as well. I've owned many other speakers that I've given a good solid run with - a variety of price points but never thousands - neutral, non-neutral, big, small, "scientifically perfect measurements," party speakers, on and on, and they all eventually went out the door; likewise I've never heard a more expensive speaker elsewhere that would kick the Epi to the curb let alone for the cost/benefit... diminishing returns, indeed! OK, so, where's the story going?

That all said, I did spend and got the K-H, based on many many glowing reviews from a variety of pros and of course users, and based on auditioning them prior to purchase. Erin's review is an outlier, no question about it.

Here's my reaction to my audition: the Heresy sounded DIFFERENT than all the other speakers near, at, and above the pricepoint. Yes, that's true. But here's the problem: all the other speakers did NOT sound many thousands of dollars better than the Epi, and in fact they sounded very similar in many regards to the Epi... and they sounded quite similar to each-other, as well. There's no way I would spend thousands, or even a thousand, for a speaker that sounds basically the same as what I already have. THAT's why I selected the Heresy.

And, that's why I'm keeping them... and keeping my Epi as well. They are two different sounds, and they allow me to experience music in two different ways. And, like the Epi, the Heresy are not fatiguing, and they are not picky about where I sit or stand. The Heresy allows me into a different sound-world than the Epi, and hence I'm re-exploring all the music that I thought I knew so well... and it all sounds new and refreshed.

The Heresy IV sounds more LIVE than any of the other speakers that I've heard. More... robust, more vibrant. Does it "measure" perfectly? No doubt not. However, the detail is there, in addition to the liveliness, which is what makes these speakers relatively unique. Over decades, I've been to many many concerts of ALL types in all types of venues, and I say: yes, the new Heresy is what live music sounds like.

Some people prefer laboratory over live. All good; enjoy your lab. Some people prefer "perfect" sunny weather always and hate rain; myself, I like California sunny too, for golf, but I also enjoy that rolling Minnesota thunderstorm flashing over the lake... Some people prefer absolute laser clinical over smooth natural live-your-life beauty, and that's fine too... myself, I'll take my Epi any day all day, literally.

The Heresy are not laboratory perfect, although I've seen other measurers that disagree w Erin even on THAT metric; but, I've heard plenty of lab-perfect speakers that are frankly boring and non-unique, and I'd not take 'em over my Epi, let alone over these Heresy. I'll take both: Epi, and the Heresy, because they both bring different things to the house and they are both wonderful speakers to LIVE with...
Finally someone with some honesty!! I don’t any boring speakers either. To each their own but quit bashing such a fun speaker. Go away haters your opinions and BS are unwanted and unwarranted. Too many lies from the “Audiophiles”!

C

Curtdr

Enthusiast
Guttenberg, Robinson, etc are paid advertisers...Their reviews mean diddly.

If you paid to go see that stank numbskull Nugent live four times....:) Well, I guess i'm starting to see why you like your Klipsch and that infamous "live" sound that only a Klipsch is oh so uniquely capable of reproducing. It's almost like all Klipsch guys even memorized the same lines or something.... Eitherway, whatever makes you happy man ...Just don't try to justify why your Klipsch is oh so great to guys who heard it enough and hate it.
Yeah, and I have season tickets to the symphony, and attend the L.A. Opera,too... so, you're point is what, exactly? That my tastes are little too eclectic for you to handle? OK... tonight I'll listen to four things, just to keep you happy: Zep, Steely Dan, Hank Williams, and then Rubinstein's Chopin Nocturnes as a nightcap. That satisfy you? Probably not, eh... and that's OK too.

And if you read my previous post, too, you would realize that I'm certainly not a "Klipsch guy." I approach this issue from a neutral stance, other than I don't want to spend a bunch of money on speakers that sound basically the same and maybe only a tiny bit "better" than the other ones that I already have.

I'm not trying to justify anything, and you ought take your own advice on that one. I'm just explaining why I enjoy the speakers that I have.

And I'd take Robinson's advice over yours any time, too, btw. He does not "green light" any and all products he reviews. And, I'm a paid professional in my field as well, but that doesn't make my expertise any less legitimate. But I always read and listen to the opinions of many people, paid or not, including my own, before I make a purchase like this... and the outlier is Erin. He's very much in the minority here, though I read and considered his perspective as well.

Enjoy what you have.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
And I'd take Robinson's advice over yours any time, too, btw. He does not "green light" any and all products he reviews. And, I'm a paid professional in my field as well, but that doesn't make my expertise any less legitimate. But I always read and listen to the opinions of many people, paid or not, including my own, before I make a purchase like this... and the outlier is Erin. He's very much in the minority here, though I read and considered his perspective as well.
FWIW, the reason I even had these speakers to test is because a member of this forum purchased them based on Robinson's glowing review and the member was left wondering wtf went wrong because he normally agreed with A.R.. He asked if I'd be willing to test them so he could maybe understand what it was that was so off from the reviews he read vs what he heard and I said sure. He brought them over from Atlanta (about a 3.5 hour drive one-way) and dropped them off. Alas, I told him what I heard, showed him the data. He didn't even bother to pick them up for over a full year from the date he dropped them off.

So, I wouldn't consider me an outlier. I'm just one dude with a different opinion. There's a lot of those if you go looking. A.R. and Guttenberg like Klipsch products. If one is predisposed to liking their "sound" then it stands to reason they'll continue to do so.

Me, however, ... I couldn't get past the enclosure resonance. I envy those who can't hear it. Because once you do, you can never un-hear it.

Keep on enjoying your stuff. Plenty of speakers to go around.

Last edited:
L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
FWIW, the reason I even had these speakers to test is because a member of this forum purchased them based on Robinson's glowing review and the member was left wondering wtf went wrong because he normally agreed with A.R.. Alas, I told him what I heard, showed him the data. He didn't even bother to pick them up for over a full year from the date he dropped them off.

So, I wouldn't consider me an outlier. I'm just one dude with a different opinion. There's a lot of those if you go looking. A.R. and Guttenberg like Klipsch products. If one is predisposed to liking their "sound" then it stands to reason they'll continue to do so.

Me, however, ... I couldn't get past the enclosure resonance. I envy those who can't hear it. Because once you do, you can never un-hear it.

I will enjoy my Heresy IV’s. I actually watch the daily hi-fi. I auditioned the Heresy’s vs. the rp8000f’s. I asked my girlfriend which ones she liked and she said the looks of the rp8000’s but the sound wasn’t in the same world. Hands down Heresy IV. I will agree to disagree with you but some of this bashing is absurd. Gene is so into atmos and bashing auro 3d that it makes him look foolish imo. I’m sure the perlistens are great but I could build a better system for $16,000 than just a pair of perlistens. I’m just mentioning Gene because he’s into bashing other’s opinions if they don’t agree with him. I actually like Gene but he’s kind of an ass towards Joe. Anyways have a great New Year Erin!

C

Curtdr

Enthusiast
FWIW, the reason I even had these speakers to test is because a member of this forum purchased them based on Robinson's glowing review and the member was left wondering wtf went wrong because he normally agreed with A.R.. He asked if I'd be willing to test them so he could maybe understand what it was that was so off from the reviews he read vs what he heard and I said sure. He brought them over from Atlanta (about a 3.5 hour drive one-way) and dropped them off. Alas, I told him what I heard, showed him the data. He didn't even bother to pick them up for over a full year from the date he dropped them off.

Thanks for your calm reply, and I "hear" you.

But I'd like to ask you, as per "resonance," do you consider that a necessarily bad thing, in speakers? Just so I know where you're coming from...

I mean, musical instruments have resonance, too... piano, guitar, violins, horns. It's partly the resonances of acoustic instruments that give them their differentiations from each other. Heck, sound itself is resonance. Resonance in and of itself is not a hindrance to sound quality. A Strad violin certainly resonates... as does a Gibson or Martin acoustic guitar. Even in speakers, I have some speakers right now, two different sets actually, which I'm trying to get rid of, which are famed for their "non-resonant" cabinets, and yet they sound, er, sterile compared to many "resonant" cabinet speakers I've heard.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your calm reply, and I "hear" you.

But I'd like to ask you, as per "resonance," do you consider that a necessarily bad thing, in speakers? Just so I know where you're coming from...

I mean, musical instruments have resonance, too... piano, guitar, violins, horns. It's partly the resonances of acoustic instruments that give them their differentiations from each other. Heck, sound itself is resonance. Resonance in and of itself is not a hindrance to sound quality. A Strad violin certainly resonates... as does a Gibson or Martin acoustic guitar. Even in speakers, I have some speakers right now, two different sets actually, which I'm trying to get rid of, which are famed for their "non-resonant" cabinets, and yet they sound, er, sterile compared to many "resonant" cabinet speakers I've heard.
It's one thing as a musical instrument resonates. That would be part of the "performance" that is recorded. Now, add a resonance afterwards (or other coloration), and you are changing the recorded event.

Some of us want neutral components so that the recorded event can be reproduced as faithfully as possible. Some of us seek additional coloration (tubes, for example).

In the end, it is what you enjoy most that matters for your own system. I don't presume to tell you what you should prefer. :D Or, as I like to say... "It's your ears, your system, your ducats." ;)

Cheers!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's one thing as a musical instrument resonates. That would be part of the "performance" that is recorded. Now, add a resonance afterwards (or other coloration), and you are changing the recorded event.

Some of us want neutral components so that the recorded event can be reproduced as faithfully as possible. Some of us seek additional coloration (tubes, for example).

In the end, it is what you enjoy most that matters for your own system. I don't presume to tell you what you should prefer. :D Or, as I like to say... "It's your ears, your system, your ducats." ;)

Cheers!
More to your point Ryan, music production, and RE-production are not the same thing.

C

Curtdr

Enthusiast

Cheers!
First of all, thank you for the refreshing and respectful reply. OK, now to my substance:

Yes, I get that. However, everything resonates. The universe resonates.

We do not live in an anechoic chamber, and if we did, we'd probably go insane... actually, I think that is exactly what happens to some audiophiles as they chase the illusion of perfection.

It's how a component connects, interacts, with the physical world overall, including the listener, the user, that ultimately matters... And AR, to his credit, openly acknowledges this fact, and I respect him for it. Science goes only so far; it's a start, and important, and informative. Therefore, I respect Erin for his contributions in this area. Science can inform the selection of technologies and individual components, and science can be a beautiful pursuit in its own right, so I'm not knocking it... but it's not the deciding factor in the acoustics of a home with human ears, and confounded human tastes, unless the science in-and-of itself is what one is pursuing which is fine too for what it is.

Science can also help explain preferences.... like, THIS right here is what you're hearing and one person says, "That explains why it doesn't sound right to me," another person says, "So THAT's why I like it, huh go figure," and yet another person says, "Whatever... it doesn't matter and I don't care... I just love how it sounds." Are any of those three not "true audiophiles?" Isn't audio - philia simply the love of sound?

Techno - philia is the love of technology.

And, myself, I often get bored with "clinically correct" components, especially speakers, and so I view speakers, in particular, as the art of sound at least as much as the science of it. Speakers, exactly because they are the true end analogue resonators in a chain, I view, and hear, more as musical instruments themselves rather than pure conduits... because, for one thing, it is not possible for them to be pure conduits, ever, in the real world, in the home (or concert hall), as we live within our physical lives. We are embodied, full of imperfections, and glory to the almighty for that truth.

I've seen plenty of "perfect" musicianship concerts, for example, that were boring.... likewise with recorded music. I've heard perfectly-honed performances of Beethoven's 9th that left me yawning, and I've experienced vibrantly imperfect ragged performances that have brought on tears of joy and raucous standing ovations. That's just an analogy, a musical analogy, only to try to clarify my thoughts on this subject.

Therefore Ryan, ultimately, I agree with your concluding statements. We get to the same place, via different routes.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic

I have heard EVERY Heresy extensively thought my brother in law. He swears by them.

I Mean I think I can see why he likes them, but not why he is unable to see they are coloured and not really transparent.

I do sound work at a large church with a massive sound system. Too much to get into the details. But suffice to say, the Heresy borderline remind me of the sound I get with that system. Albeit in a much smaller tiny scale. Minus the loud deep bass of course.

So I sorta "Get" why some say is sounds like live concert or large auditorium sound, but in full disclosure, the church favors "Volume of sound" over actual High fidelity and realistic neutral clean sound.

The heresy sound like an Eminence low frequency driver and some EV horns to me. A loud punchy sound, but clearly not neutral. More of a Halfway sound reinforcement speaker.

Some like that I guess?

N

nnsixx

Audiophyte
I have some Forte IVs coming on Monday so I'll post my thoughts here. I'm looking for a dynamic speaker that I can play Stranglehold from my node 2i hooked to my Doge 7 dac with NOS Telefunken tubes and Yamaha AS2200. I'm hoping for an even larger scale sound than my Wharfedales with some of the transparency of my Kef R300s which allow me to hear the differences when switching various source components. I really got a kick out of reading this thread. Guess I fit some sort of stereo type person who will probably love these speakers, lol! Ted Nugent's first album sounds amazing streaming from Qobuz and the 45 RPM from AP is one of best sounding rock albums I've heard surprisingly enough. Erin's review of the Forte's wasn't as bad as the Heresy, and he and Andrew were right on about the Wharfedales being a great value and when his wife suggested Forte as an alternative to the new 5k Missions I figured the used pair I found would be a bargain sound quality wise. I guess I just didn't put much stock in naysayers as I detect a kind of elitist snobbery and strange contempt for the people who like Klipsch which is really odd but then I haven't lurked enough on these forums to know the hot topics. I'm easily amused but not easily offended so I'm looking forward and welcome any feedback (good or bad). I have to admit that I never really gave much thought to these before because of price but I went a little crazy building my front end during covid by researching and buying old but well regarded Sony ES SACD, Pioneer reference BD, and a denon link capable dvd to transfer DSD in the digital domain to my Denon 4806 I figured I should step up my speakers. Lol, bet I just fit a bunch more negative stereotypes. I'm definitly not a vinyl or stereo purist but like be able to play all media. It came down to these and a used pair of JBL l100 classics which were about 1k cheaper. I'm sure either one is capable of giving me that larger scale experience but I figure the Klipsch will be the biggest difference from the Wharfedales which will be relegated to surround duties. We will soon see if I love or hate them. I read they could be a little flat with the Yamaha so I'm hoping the tube dac will add some depth and space like they do with the much smaller KEFs. The Wharfedales come close but I listen loud sometimes and they just aren't quite big enough to really jam like I remember in the 80s. This thread gave me alot of confidence these will really rock!

Last edited:
L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I have some Forte IVs coming on Monday so I'll post my thoughts here. I'm looking for a dynamic speaker that I can play Stranglehold from my node 2i hooked to my Doge 7 dac with NOS Telefunken tubes and Yamaha AS2200. I'm hoping for an even larger scale sound than my Wharfedales with some of the transparency of my Kef R300s which allow me to hear the differences when switching various source components. I really got a kick out of reading this thread. Guess I fit some sort of stereo type person who will probably love these speakers, lol! Ted Nugent's first album sounds amazing streaming from Qobuz and the 45 RPM from AP is one of best sounding rock albums I've heard surprisingly enough. Erin's review of the Forte's wasn't as bad as the Heresy, and he and Andrew were right on about the Wharfedales being a great value and when his wife suggested Forte as an alternative to the new 5k Missions I figured the used pair I found would be a bargain sound quality wise. I guess I just didn't put much stock in naysayers as I detect a kind of elitist snobbery and strange contempt for the people who like Klipsch which is really odd but then I haven't lurked enough on these forums to know the hot topics. I'm easily amused but not easily offended so I'm looking forward and welcome any feedback (good or bad). I have to admit that I never really gave much thought to these before because of price but I went a little crazy building my front end during covid by researching and buying old but well regarded Sony ES SACD, Pioneer reference BD, and a denon link capable dvd to transfer DSD in the digital domain to my Denon 4806 I figured I should step up my speakers. Lol, bet I just fit a bunch more negative stereotypes. I'm definitly not a vinyl or stereo purist but like be able to play all media. It came down to these and a used pair of JBL l100 classics which were about 1k cheaper. I'm sure either one is capable of giving me that larger scale experience but I figure the Klipsch will be the biggest difference from the Wharfedales which will be relegated to surround duties. We will soon see if I love or hate them. I read they could be a little flat with the Yamaha so I'm hoping the tube dac will add some depth and space like they do with the much smaller KEFs. The Wharfedales come close but I listen loud sometimes and they just aren't quite big enough to really jam like I remember in the 80s. This thread gave me alot of confidence these will really rock!
I’m sure you’ll love the Forte IV’s. Congratulations and I can’t wait to hear your experience with them!! I like Erin fine but absolutely disagree with his review of the Heresy IV’s. I was able to audition my Heresy’s at home before I purchased them so it was a no brained for me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch knows how to make a good loudspeaker. The Heresys are just not an example of that.

N

nnsixx

Audiophyte
I’m sure you’ll love the Forte IV’s. Congratulations and I can’t wait to hear your experience with them!! I like Erin fine but absolutely disagree with his review of the Heresy IV’s. I was able to audition my Heresy’s at home before I purchased them so it was a no brained for me.
Thanks, they sound amazing. I ended up picking up a 2 Watt SET amp to power them occasionly and that really brings the beautiful mid-range out to the next level. These are opposite of the Wharedales...lively, dynamic, detailed and extended in the highs. When I give them more power, I can feel the bass in my chest. Funny, when used in my HT its like everything is turned up 10db but it sounds great. They jam as loud as I could possibly want and remain very clear. With singers like Karen Carpenter, I can even hear her lips smacking. Great pairing with a SET amp.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
The Heresy IV’s are amazing!! I’m glad I auditioned them for myself instead of listening to the two bad reviews on the internet. Some people like it flat.
I have friends that honest to god swear by Huge Cerwin Vega speakers, and also vintage old Radio Shack Mach one speakers.

One common denominator, the Heresy, Cerwin Vega and Mach one, all can play loud, and have a forward edgy sound.

Some value "Playing loud" and Punchy forward sound, as I imagine you do.
Accuracy be damned.
But one comes off a lot more informed sounding, if they just say..."Hey they are flawed but I just like that they sound LOUD, or pound hard on old rock music"

I totally get WHY some like them, but to defend them as being somehow more accurate..... o_O

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The heresy sound like an Eminence low frequency driver and some EV horns to me. A loud punchy sound, but clearly not neutral. More of a Halfway sound reinforcement speaker.

Some like that I guess?
So, you haven't looked inside of a Heresy speaker, eh? What brands do you think they have used, for a long time? They didn't make the drivers, just designed/assembled the speakers as a system.

Good call on the brands of drivers, though.

I haven't looked inside of a newer Klipsch speaker and certainly nothing since they were sold, but the old ones were anything but sophisticated, internally. Plywood box with a bit of fiberglass, run of the mill drivers, industrial-looking caps & coils. Nothing special, at all and if you consider the pre-Legacy/Heritage or whatever they call that series, the label on the rear of the Heresy speakers I repaired showed "Frequency Response- 50Hz-17KHz" and I don't remember it being as flat as +/- 3dB. I was replacing the tweeter diaphragms and wanted to check the response, so I used pink noise and the RTA apps I use (one is from Dynaudio, and I have verified the accuracy as being good enough to trust it) showed that they did 50-17K and that's about all. The falloff was steep on both ends.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis