Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Even if I were a Klipsch fanatic, Klipsch Heresys are not the hill I would want to die on. They are by far the worst sounding of the Heritage series. You can not go from a La Scala to a Heresy and then think it sounds good. They should discontinue it. The only reason they keep it going is because people buy it out of nostalgia. In a blind comparison, it would never win against any competent speaker made in the last 50 years regardless of price. And yes, I have heard these speakers in a direct comparison against other Klipsch speakers, easily the worst of the bunch, and the only one I regarded as immediately, outright bad.
The only reason they keep it going is because people buy it.

You can't really blame them for making it then lol :D ;)

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Your opinion doesn’t mean jack to me. Hope it doesn’t come off the wrong way. If you don’t know how to set up speakers and don’t have the room treated then I could understand why you dislike them.
You are throwing out red herrings.

I compared them side by side with 2 other speakers in the same room.
I like several of the other Heritage Klipsch line, and I agree the Heresy are a fun, nice speaker, but simply not very accurate.

No need to justify what you like. I said I CAN SEE WHY some really like them. I LIKE them, but that does not mean they are great or accurate. I could not see them as my main audio speakers is all.

You are taking it way too personally.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You are throwing out red herrings.

I compared them side by side with 2 other speakers in the same room.
I like several of the other Heritage Klipsch line, and I agree the Heresy are a fun, nice speaker, but simply not very accurate.

No need to justify what you like. I said I CAN SEE WHY some really like them. I LIKE them, but that does not mean they are great or accurate. I could not see them as my main audio speakers is all.

You are taking it way too personally.
Fun? Could you describe/define this word "fun" that all Klip fans associate with them? What is this "fun" that seems to only happen with these? What aspect of it's sound signature sounds "fun"? Could you describe it? I've had Klippys before. Your definition of "fun" could help me better understand/give me some profound insight into why I was unable to be a "fun" lovin' guy around those Klipshites...

Last edited:
K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Fun? Could you describe/define this word "fun" that all Klip fans associate with them? What is this "fun" that seems to only happen with these? What aspect of it's sound signature sounds "fun"? Could you describe it? I've had Klippys before. Your definition of "fun" could help me better understand/give me some profound insight into why I was unable to be a "fun" lovin' guy around those Klipshites...
In house, listening to music critically, they were a semi "Let down" for various reasons.

I have a relative that has owned literally EVERY version of them since the late 80s and that is his ONLY speaker of choice. We have compared my stuff to his numerous times in the summer.

His never win in my mind. He thinks they do. Hence my comment about seeing why some love them.

The fun part, they are fairly good to crank up loud, and did excel when we put 2 on his large back yard patio. They can throw out a good bit of loud sound without totally breaking up, even outdoors.

I rate them as halfway between Hi-Fi and sound reinforcement speakers. Not quite there in sound quality for serious accurate sound, but loud, a bit forward and can Jam for just having fun.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Even if I were a Klipsch fanatic, Klipsch Heresys are not the hill I would want to die on. They are by far the worst sounding of the Heritage series. You can not go from a La Scala to a Heresy and then think it sounds good. They should discontinue it. The only reason they keep it going is because people buy it out of nostalgia. In a blind comparison, it would never win against any competent speaker made in the last 50 years regardless of price. And yes, I have heard these speakers in a direct comparison against other Klipsch speakers, easily the worst of the bunch, and the only one I regarded as immediately, outright bad.
Ridiculous comment James or should I say Shady comment. That’s okay I watch many audioholics videos and things seem to be going crazy lately with the Perlisten speakers and subs. I would hope they are GREAT for that price!!! This is easily the worst comment I’ve read and is completely false to viewers.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Ridiculous comment James or should I say Shady comment. That’s okay I watch many audioholics videos and things seem to be going crazy lately with the Perlisten speakers and subs. I would hope they are GREAT for that price!!! This is easily the worst comment I’ve read and is completely false to viewers.
Maybe it was a deaf comparison not a blind comparison? Haha

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I registered here just to respond to this thread. I own a pair of Hersey IV's. Have for about a year now. I love them.
@Bianca_
Welcome to the AH and I hope you enjoy the experience. I also hope you keep your enthusiasm for your Klipsch Heresy IVs and continue to enjoy the music. If there is a widespread flaw in audio as a hobby it would be falling in love with the equipment and the "stuff" and putting the entire reason it all exists (the music) on the back burner somewhere. Here on the AH forums just like everywhere else in the audio universe this seems to be a common malady.

Mostly its harmless enough. It's expensive, but mostly harmless. It does cause arguments and it does cause a certain type of disdain for products that are out of fashion for any number of reasons. Heresy IV speakers would probably fit that description. But if you own them and you love them don't let others rain on your parade because they can rain down facts and figures on you. Just appreciate the music and love what they do. I love listening to music and the AH has help me put together a system that fits me like a glove. Enjoy what you have.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
@Bianca_
Welcome to the AH and I hope you enjoy the experience. I also hope you keep your enthusiasm for your Klipsch Heresy IVs and continue to enjoy the music. If there is a widespread flaw in audio as a hobby it would be falling in love with the equipment and the "stuff" and putting the entire reason it all exists (the music) on the back burner somewhere. Here on the AH forums just like everywhere else in the audio universe this seems to be a common malady.

Mostly its harmless enough. It's expensive, but mostly harmless. It does cause arguments and it does cause a certain type of disdain for products that are out of fashion for any number of reasons. Heresy IV speakers would probably fit that description. But if you own them and you love them don't let others rain on your parade because they can rain down facts and figures on you. Just appreciate the music and love what they do. I love listening to music and the AH has help me put together a system that fits me like a glove. Enjoy what you have.
I enjoy them very much. I’m not a snowflake so I can handle whatever these so-called “audiophiles dish out!! Haha

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
In house, listening to music critically, they were a semi "Let down" for various reasons.

I have a relative that has owned literally EVERY version of them since the late 80s and that is his ONLY speaker of choice. We have compared my stuff to his numerous times in the summer.

His never win in my mind. He thinks they do. Hence my comment about seeing why some love them.

The fun part, they are fairly good to crank up loud, and did excel when we put 2 on his large back yard patio. They can throw out a good bit of loud sound without totally breaking up, even outdoors.

I rate them as halfway between Hi-Fi and sound reinforcement speakers. Not quite there in sound quality for serious accurate sound, but loud, a bit forward and can Jam for just having fun.
Hmmm, that confirms my suspicions.....LOUD is still a whole lotta "fun" for the masses who haven't heard any better perhaps....I had the RP-8000F w/matching center/surrounds on my multichannel setup (got it for dirt cheap on craigslist a.k.a serves me right)...and i found it painful. My old man had the Forte 3's catching dust in his basement and he had a sinister smile on his face when i took them. I did let go of the Forte 3's real quick as well. Perhaps, it's the "All America" Klipshite marketing working wonders with the dummy patriot's psyche.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Siiigghhh
[/QUOTE
Hmmm, that confirms my suspicions.....LOUD is still a whole lotta "fun" for the masses who haven't heard any better perhaps....I had the RP-8000F w/matching center/surrounds on my multichannel setup (got it for dirt cheap on craigslist a.k.a serves me right)...and i found it painful. My old man had the Forte 3's catching dust in his basement and he had a sinister smile on his face when i took them. I did let go of the Forte 3's real quick as well. Perhaps, it's the "All America" Klipshite marketing working wonders with the dummy patriot's psyche.
LMAO!! You’re cute snowflake!! I auditioned the rp8000f’s side by side at my house with the Heresy IV’s fyi. I’m grateful that I don’t have this audiophile snobbery that runs rampant with some of you on this forum. Steve Huff and Andrew Robinson‘s speaker of the year. Zeo’s bought a pair, Steve Guttenberg loved them, and hell Zero Fidelity wanted to keep them. What do I know? That I love the Heresy IV’s and I’m glad you don’t have them.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Give your Heresy the good ol' hillbilly ass rub Schmoe...and get it over with.
Keyboard warrior!! Lol! It’s okay I’m from the Midwest. We’re built a little tougher up here.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
LMAO!! You’re cute snowflake!! I auditioned the rp8000f’s side by side at my house with the Heresy IV’s fyi. I’m grateful that I don’t have this audiophile snobbery that runs rampant with some of you on this forum. Steve Huff and Andrew Robinson‘s speaker of the year. Zeo’s bought a pair, Steve Guttenberg loved them, and hell Zero Fidelity wanted to keep them. What do I know? That I love the Heresy IV’s and I’m glad you don’t have them.
I don't know why you have me vid in your post but it wasn't directed at you. Or I'd have tagged you. It's directed for both sides. Because this thread went exactly the way I said it would somebody that owned these was going to get pissed and then someone who is from the numbers tribe was going to go back and forth with them and we got 3 pages of arguments

Seen it so many times on these sites here AVS ASR soooooooo...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here we go again down this road

The same fuggin road I've seen before

Like an addict who can't take his drug and leave it alone

Cus weve made up our minds

Were either the speakers or the numbers tribe

With nothing left to compromise

So here we go again.

Here we go again

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Yup yup...that Heresy loud can resonate that Midwestern lard in all the right places, I bet.
Well I’m 6’2” 215 so not much lard here. Why are you on an audio forum? Why comment when you don’t know anything on the subject matter?

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
@Bianca_

I think you are quite mis representing most views though.
No one has rained down facts and figures to create their opinion.

In fact a few others and I have merely stated we did not think they were worth the money, in regards to the shortcomings we heard when compared to similar AND lower priced speakers.

They have a place in audio history, and do SOME things great, but just overall, to me at least, are not truly competitive in sound quality overall.

Some may think they are, or like the types of sound they create, or like the sensitivity and I can relate and somewhat can agree. They just were not to my liking enough to own them, was all.

C

Curtdr

Enthusiast
I am not a Klipsch fanatic, to start with. There Heresy IV are the first and only K that I've owned. call'em K-H.

I've read this entire, entire thread, and I have to weigh in here...

My background is value-orientation, so the K-H are also the most money I've ever spent on a speaker... in fact, it's almost heresy in my book to spend that kind of money on a speaker because I've heard many that sound so good at much less dollars... like my beloved Epi speakers, newly upgraded w parts by Human Speakers. Frankly, I thought I was DONE, once I put those Human parts in the Epi: simple speakers, exceptionally clear and non-fatiguing, and rich natural sound with great soundstage AND dispersion (so that's a neat trick... I can sit way off to the side and still get the neutral clear sound as well as a stereo image...!!! ) Easy to live with, and stand up incredibly well to critical listening as well. I've owned many other speakers that I've given a good solid run with - a variety of price points but never thousands - neutral, non-neutral, big, small, "scientifically perfect measurements," party speakers, on and on, and they all eventually went out the door; likewise I've never heard a more expensive speaker elsewhere that would kick the Epi to the curb let alone for the cost/benefit... diminishing returns, indeed! OK, so, where's the story going?

That all said, I did spend and got the K-H, based on many many glowing reviews from a variety of pros and of course users, and based on auditioning them prior to purchase. Erin's review is an outlier, no question about it.

Here's my reaction to my audition: the Heresy sounded DIFFERENT than all the other speakers near, at, and above the pricepoint. Yes, that's true. But here's the problem: all the other speakers did NOT sound many thousands of dollars better than the Epi, and in fact they sounded very similar in many regards to the Epi... and they sounded quite similar to each-other, as well. There's no way I would spend thousands, or even a thousand, for a speaker that sounds basically the same as what I already have. THAT's why I selected the Heresy.

And, that's why I'm keeping them... and keeping my Epi as well. They are two different sounds, and they allow me to experience music in two different ways. And, like the Epi, the Heresy are not fatiguing, and they are not picky about where I sit or stand. The Heresy allows me into a different sound-world than the Epi, and hence I'm re-exploring all the music that I thought I knew so well... and it all sounds new and refreshed.

The Heresy IV sounds more LIVE than any of the other speakers that I've heard. More... robust, more vibrant. Does it "measure" perfectly? No doubt not. However, the detail is there, in addition to the liveliness, which is what makes these speakers relatively unique. Over decades, I've been to many many concerts of ALL types in all types of venues, and I say: yes, the new Heresy is what live music sounds like.

Some people prefer laboratory over live. All good; enjoy your lab. Some people prefer "perfect" sunny weather always and hate rain; myself, I like California sunny too, for golf, but I also enjoy that rolling Minnesota thunderstorm flashing over the lake... Some people prefer absolute laser clinical over smooth natural live-your-life beauty, and that's fine too... myself, I'll take my Epi any day all day, literally.

The Heresy are not laboratory perfect, although I've seen other measurers that disagree w Erin even on THAT metric; but, I've heard plenty of lab-perfect speakers that are frankly boring and non-unique, and I'd not take 'em over my Epi, let alone over these Heresy. I'll take both: Epi, and the Heresy, because they both bring different things to the house and they are both wonderful speakers to LIVE with...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis