KEF Reference3 vs b&w 804 D3

T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
I’m looking into possibly changing my front 3 speakers of my home theater and I can not find anything online for people comparing the KEF Reference3 and the b&w 804 d3 speakers. No retailers that I have found in the Minneapolis Minnesota area have the KEF Reference3 on display so I’m interested in seeing if anyone out there has heard these side by side. Another option would be the KEF R900 but I have heard from only 1 salesman that the bass drops out at high volumes. They will be ran off of a marantz 8012 and biamped with a rotel-1585. I use it for 90% movies and it will be in a large living room with 9’ ceilings and is open to the kitchen and dining area. I’m using a svs ultra 16sb sub and a svs 4000sb sub. My listening volume tends to be around reference level or 0 if that makes a difference. I know there might be a lot of other options out there that might be considered better but my hands are kind of tied on these options in particular (or anything that is sold by magnolia). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m looking into possibly changing my front 3 speakers of my home theater and I can not find anything online for people comparing the KEF Reference3 and the b&w 804 d3 speakers. No retailers that I have found in the Minneapolis Minnesota area have the KEF Reference3 on display so I’m interested in seeing if anyone out there has heard these side by side. Another option would be the KEF R900 but I have heard from only 1 salesman that the bass drops out at high volumes. They will be ran off of a marantz 8012 and biamped with a rotel-1585. I use it for 90% movies and it will be in a large living room with 9’ ceilings and is open to the kitchen and dining area. I’m using a svs ultra 16sb sub and a svs 4000sb sub. My listening volume tends to be around reference level or 0 if that makes a difference. I know there might be a lot of other options out there that might be considered better but my hands are kind of tied on these options in particular (or anything that is sold by magnolia). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Again if you want reference levels in that space, you will blow those speakers up as well. You again have 6.5" woofers and a not highly efficient speaker.

If you want a high powered and high quality speaker to fill that space then you are going to have to outlay a massive amount of cash.

Realistically you options are: -

Maintain good quality with the speakers you have, but play at a lower level.

Buy lower quality cruder but more robust speakers.

Buy high quality speakers built for the job. I have been designing speakers for over 60 years, and a high performance and high power speaker is a formidable costly affair.

The third option, which has always been mine is to design and build you won speakers equal to the task at hand.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The R900 can play louder for sure . i don't remember if you have use an online calculator to find out how much power you need to achieve ref level from your main seat . If not , please do and report back .

T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
The R900 can play louder for sure . i don't remember if you have use an online calculator to find out how much power you need to achieve ref level from your main seat . If not , please do and report back .
I don’t believe I have that calculator. Have you heard anything about these speakers loosing bass at high levels or what there sound quality might be compared to the 804 d3? I know there not even in the same ball park

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don’t believe I have that calculator. Have you heard anything about these speakers loosing bass at high levels or what there sound quality might be compared to the 804 d3? I know there not even in the same ball park
No problem, here it is:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I have a pair of R900 in a two channel system. Their in room (my room) bass response is so strong that I don't need a sub at all. I highly doubt the 804 D3 can compare. Whatever you read about the loss of bass at high levels, there must be some caveats. For example, how high is high?

T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
No problem, here it is:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I have a pair of R900 in a two channel system. Their in room (my room) bass response is so strong that I don't need a sub at all. I highly doubt the 804 D3 can compare. Whatever you read about the loss of bass at high levels, there must be some caveats. For example, how high is high?
I only heard the loss of bass from one salesman who then brought me over to the KEF blades that they had in store so I wasn’t sure how much I trusted him. Have you been able to do a side by side with the 804 or the old cm10?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I only heard the loss of bass from one salesman who then brought me over to the KEF blades that they had in store so I wasn’t sure how much I trusted him. Have you been able to do a side by side with the 804 or the old cm10?
I have only compared the 804 D2 with other brands but not CM10. The 804 diamonds sounded very nice and I highly doubt the CM10 can come close. Now that you mentioned the Blades, they can definitely do the job for you.

T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
I have only compared the 804 D2 with other brands but not CM10. The 804 diamonds sounded very nice and I highly doubt the CM10 can come close. Now that you mentioned the Blades, they can definitely do the job for you.
There’s no way I can afford the blades or the amps it will take to drive them. Plus the wife would never go with it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There’s no way I can afford the blades or the amps it will take to drive them. Plus the wife would never go with it.
I highly recommend the R900. They don't sound as bright and/or sweet as the 804 but overall more accurate/neutral. They also can take a little more power than the 804.

T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
I highly recommend the R900. They don't sound as bright and/or sweet as the 804 but overall more accurate/neutral. They also can take a little more power than the 804.
What do you have your R900 hooked up to and how loud do you usually have your volume? Also do the R900’s come with grills? I have a 2 year old where some kind of grill is a must to help against little fingers.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
The CM5 has better on-axis than the 805D3, but off-axis is about as bad.

At least the CM5 on-axis is almost +/- 3dB, and doesn’t have a huge +7dB spike at 10KHz like the 805D3.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-amp-wilkins-cm5-loudspeaker-measurements
Regardless, the the 805D are undeniably in an entirely different league over the CM5. I currently own both models and they are running off of the same amp so I speak from daily use and side by side experience of almost 2 years.

No one, and I mean no one- that has extensively listened to both will tell you that the CM5 is better.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Turk- How about thinking out of the box? You need big bad boys... I think my Polk SDA SRS2 would suit your needs nicely :)

Max Output Level= 123dB
Efficiency= 92dB
Recommended Amplification= 10 - 750 watts (they will gobble it up)

They will also put many subs to shame :D

Last edited:
T

Turk

Junior Audioholic
I can only imagine that those would rock for movies! Unfortunately I have to stick to the stuff that is located at magnolia/ Bestbuy. And the wife would probably not approve of that in our living room. Unfortunately her and I Have a very different idea of home theater. She is more than happy with those old 9”TVs with the vcr built in the bottom.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I can only imagine that those would rock for movies!
...and music. The SDA soundstage is insane, sounds are literally coming from your direct left and right. A lot of fun with some content. As for the low end, talk about full range...jeez- doors, rafters and pant legs rattle.

And the wife would probably not approve of that in our living room.
LOL no doubt, I hear you. At 50" tall and 142 lbs each they're not easy hide. I was lucky enough to be able to "temporarily" ;) set these up in the finished basement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis