Kef LS50 In a tower speaker

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Displacement.
That could be, but most likely a lot more, including expectation bias. Such a miniature "Blade" has no right to sound remotely as good as their giant cousin. Admittedly my only experience with the Blade were just one audition at the dealer where they had them set up in a large room with two 1.2 kW Mc amps and we did listen to really loud level, probably 80-85 dB average. If I remember right the wattmeter needles never surge pass the 120 watts mark though. They stayed between the 1.2 and 12 watt windows.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That could be, but most likely a lot more, including expectation bias. Such a miniature "Blade" has no right to sound remotely as good as their giant cousin. Admittedly my only experience with the Blade were just one audition at the dealer where they had them set up in a large room with two 1.2 kW Mc amps and we did listen to really loud level, probably 80-85 dB average. If I remember right the wattmeter needles never surge pass the 120 watts mark though. They stayed between the 1.2 and 12 watt windows.
I notice this with a lot of modern speakers. In spite of the great sound, adequate SPL and low distortion, there is something about them that leaves me wanting to physically reach in and pull the breath out into the open. Like a singer with a great voice that does not know how to breath, or where from within, the power of their voice comes from.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I notice this with a lot of modern speakers. In spite of the great sound, adequate SPL and low distortion, there is something about them that leaves me wanting to physically reach in and pull the breath out into the open. Like a singer with a great voice that does not know how to breath, or where from within, the power of their voice comes from.
My Ascend towers do just this with the mids and high. The RAAL ribbon is amazing. I however think it's poor on bad recordings. Unfortunately a lot of the music I listen to doesn't have the best recordings.They are good. Just not Steven Wilson good. This is one reason I am looking for a more all around tower speaker that has more bass than the Ascends but is a little more forgiving with music that doesn't have the best production.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My Ascend towers do just this with the mids and high. The RAAL ribbon is amazing. I however think it's poor on bad recordings. Unfortunately a lot of the music I listen to doesn't have the best recordings.They are good. Just not Steven Wilson good. This is one reason I am looking for a more all around tower speaker that has more bass than the Ascends but is a little more forgiving with music that doesn't have the best production.
Much of this music you speak of was never intended for 'audiophiles.' Audiophiles make up a very small percentage of the entertainment target market. I only speak with one other person of all my acquaintances that is into audio nearly as much as I am. Everyone else is headphones, earbuds and cheap equipment.

Best speakers for loud, mainstream rock and other top 40 applications is the old, 3-way, monkey coffin speakers or even the mid sized versions of the same, as well as the under $300 shelf 'systems.' In spite of audiophiles typically condemning such things, the ability of computer sims/manufacturing processes to make even cheap speakers sound good has been around for decades by now. My recently deceased RCA (200+ watts RMS) shelf system that I bought around 2005 for around $160 actually sounded great with mainstream music and could get quite loud.

Still, I cannot get excited by the current trends with audio and speaker design. Anything less than 8" woofers and I am feeling something missing no matter how incredible the quality. Something about the waveguide presence that a 15" woofer creates by default of it's very size ends up being my minimum in all but a small bedroom, and even then, I can still live with them there too for what they tend to bring.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Interesting point. Maybe be why my cheap Garage set up sounds good streaming Spotify.Older Polk speakers and a Onkyo 805 AVR

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis