Kef LS50 In a tower speaker

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ended up really loving the LS50 speaker after a few months. So with that said is there a speaker out there that is close to the LS50 in a tower with a budget of 5 grand? I hear the R series from Kef aren’t as good as the LS50, as I assumed that would be the answer. So anything that someone can suggest or maybe knows the answer. Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ended up really loving the LS50 speaker after a few months. So with that said is there a speaker out there that is close to the LS50 in a tower with a budget of 5 grand? I hear the R series from Kef aren’t as good as the LS50, as I assumed that would be the answer. So anything that someone can suggest or maybe knows the answer. Thanks
As you may know I have the LS50 and R900 side by side, full time, permanently and I can confirm that I prefer (only slightly) the sound character of the LS50, with the E15HP on, generally speaking. However, someone who is very familiar with my set up there, after comparing them many times, decided he likes the R900 better and bought a 5.1 set in the end. It is a highly subjective thing, so subjective that you shouldn't put much weight in subjective reviews.

Funny you mentioned 5 grand, that's the R900's list price, but they are on sale for 3,600 for a pair. Sounds like new replacement models may be coming soon!

I find the LS50 does share the same sound character of the Blade, to some extent. To me it's recognizable, but with the Blade, not only I enjoyed the music more, I felt nothing missing. With the LS50+subwoofer, depending on the music, I still enjoy them but always felt something's missing.

I really cannot think of any tower speakers that are comparable. Tower and bookshelf speakers are typically quite different to begin with. Just before I hit the post button, I thought I should mentioned Focal. My 1028 Be seems a touch more transparent than the LS50 so I think for a 5K budget, and if you insist on towers, you may want to audition the Aria and pocket the savings if you like them.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-page-2

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Personally I wonder how much of the LS50's magic is due to its low diffraction cabinet vs its unique voicing within the KEF lineup. IOW, if someone took a pair of R900s and used a miniDSP to sculpt its response to approximate that of the LS50s, could you have your cake and eat it too?

Really, beyond the cabinet, the R towers have pretty much every advantage in their corner.
1. Obviously, a 3 way design, with superior dynamic / bass capability.
2. Due to 1, a dedicated midrange variant of the UniQ can be used, which results in less diffraction from the driver's surround vs the mid/woof in the LS50
3. Again due to 1, the excursion of the midrange unit is minimal, even at high volumes, which is important for a concentric driver as it means the cone is still functioning as a stable waveguide, vs one that's moving several mm in and out, altering the tweeter response.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
As you may know I have the LS50 and R900 side by side, full time, permanently and I can confirm that I prefer (only slightly) the sound character of the LS50, with the E15HP on, generally speaking. However, someone who is very familiar with my set up there, after comparing them many times, decided he likes the R900 better and bought a 5.1 set in the end. It is a highly subjective thing, so subjective that you shouldn't put much weight in subjective reviews.

Funny you mentioned 5 grand, that's the R900's list price, but they are on sale for 3,600 for a pair. Sounds like new replacement models may be coming soon!

I find the LS50 does share the same sound character of the Blade, to some extent. To me it's recognizable, but with the Blade, not only I enjoyed the music more, I felt nothing missing. With the LS50+subwoofer, depending on the music, I still enjoy them but always felt something's missing.

I really cannot think of any tower speakers that are comparable. Tower and bookshelf speakers are typically quite different to begin with. Just before I hit the post button, I thought I should mentioned Focal. My 1028 Be seems a touch more transparent than the LS50 so I think for a 5K budget, and if you insist on towers, you may want to audition the Aria and pocket the savings if you like them.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-page-2
936 from Focal are on the radar. And the R900 or 700 are on sale right now. I see stellar reviews on the Focal 936 and 948. But the Kef's do offer a really good discount right now.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
On another note. I have read a few reviews on the Revel M106 being a step above the Kef LS50. Meaning it sounds like the LS50 but better. Opinion however. So I am wondering about Revel's F206 or F208 might be in the running too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The review here on the Revel F36 looked like it was one to check out in large rooms. There are also great reviews on the Aperion Verus towers. These are 2 that intrigue me at least besides KEF for towers. On the other hand the KEF center is nice. Anyhow for me and my budget, I’m still in love with my Q Acoustics 3020 bookshelf speakers in my bedroom system and would consider the 3050 towers with a 3020 bookshelf as a center in my theater room even. (I use Rythmik subs). If I had a big budget though, I would bet the Revel F36 towers with a M16 bookshelf as a center would be fun! Realistically in my HT space of 2600 cu ft, I could see myself springing for 3 identical Revel M16s or Aperion Verus bookshelf’s across the front... :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
**** I should note this is for an Audio only system. No HT in this set up. I have a full set of RBH speakers for that room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
**** I should note this is for an Audio only system. No HT in this set up. I have a full set of RBH speakers for that room.
Oops. I was trying to factor in the center channel so dual duty system. LOL. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you can, check out Dynaudio. As I wrote in previous threads, I like their speakers because I don't think about what I'm listening to/through, I can just listen.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
If you can, check out Dynaudio. As I wrote in previous threads, I like their speakers because I don't think about what I'm listening to/through, I can just listen.
I took a trip to Orlando a little while back and I had a chance to listen to the Revel F208 and the Dynaudio X38. I really enjoyed both. However I am not sure the Dynaudio is much of an upgrade over the LS50. Now moving to the X44 may be with the larger bass drivers to eliminate my subwoofer. Which I'd like to do to simplify things in that setup. So the Focal, Revel, Dynaudio are all in my site. The KEF R900/700 is a good buy right now.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
And a curve ball in the MIX is the Salk sound speakers. The wait is really long however.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I am curious as to why you want a tower speaker when you are happy with a standmount? It would be quite rare for a tower and standmount speaker to have the same set of strengths and weaknesses.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And a curve ball in the MIX is the Salk sound speakers. The wait is really long however.
I'd seriously give them consideration. The Silk towers are really nice looking.. I'm on the half a year wait fwiw

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am curious as to why you want a tower speaker when you are happy with a standmount? It would be quite rare for a tower and standmount speaker to have the same set of strengths and weaknesses.
I want another good set of towers. I like the mid range that towers bring. I’d love to have enough bass so I would t need to use a sub. Although I will if required still. I have multiple systems and love mixing things up. I also get bored.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have the LS50's in my office and R500's in my living room 5.1 (soon to be 5.1.2) system. The LS50's tweeter definitely extends higher in frequency response than the R500, R700 & R900's tweeter, but not by a dramatic margin. The upcoming R series upgrade (September-October guesstimates) should even that playing field.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I want another good set of towers. I like the mid range that towers bring. I’d love to have enough bass so I would t need to use a sub. Although I will if required still. I have multiple systems and love mixing things up. I also get bored.
Then move out of standmounts and into towers, but don't expect identical results. Not going to happen.

It's kind of like wanting an SUV with the performance of a Ferrari. Even if you get a Ferrari SUV, it won't be the same as the coupe (or put the other way ... the result is essentially the same ... the coupe won't carry the number of passengers and gear the SUV will).

Maybe I'm interpreting your words incorrectly, but there is no way you should be "bored" with the component quality you are able to afford. Perhaps your system doesn't need new speakers, but instead needs to find a synergy that allows each part to perform at it's best in conjunction with the other devices it's paired with.

Maybe it's time to audition a new amplifier (looking at your list).

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So just to add after I had some time on my system tonight....
I like extreme clarity and instrument separation. A large soundstage and bass. Most important is when I crank it up everything stays very clear. I don’t like a congested sounding speaker at all. I listen too 95% Post Modern Instumental Rock. Some of these small bands don’t have the best recordings. Russian bands come to mind. They must have bad studios over there. In any case to this day Steven Wilson’s music still has the best production of all. Suggest some towers from what I wrote above. Thanks

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Then move out of standmounts and into towers, but don't expect identical results. Not going to happen.

It's kind of like wanting an SUV with the performance of a Ferrari. Even if you get a Ferrari SUV, it won't be the same as the coupe (or put the other way ... the result is essentially the same ... the coupe won't carry the number of passengers and gear the SUV will).

Maybe I'm interpreting your words incorrectly, but there is no way you should be "bored" with the component quality you are able to afford. Perhaps your system doesn't need new speakers, but instead needs to find a synergy that allows each part to perform at it's best in conjunction with the other devices it's paired with.

Maybe it's time to audition a new amplifier (looking at your list).
I think they both have strengths and I don’t really have an issue using either set up. I can say I lean towards towers and kinda looking for my last set of speakers for a long time. Kind of an end product since my budget needs to shift towards some house upgrades.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So just to add after I had some time on my system tonight....
I like extreme clarity and instrument separation. A large soundstage and bass. Most important is when I crank it up everything stays very clear. I don’t like a congested sounding speaker at all. I listen too 95% Post Modern Instumental Rock. Some of these small bands don’t have the best recordings. Russian bands come to mind. They must have bad studios over there. In any case to this day Steven Wilson’s music still has the best production of all. Suggest some towers from what I wrote above. Thanks
JBL M2!:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis