JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@cgarlock asked me if there were a JVC Owner’s thread, so I thought I’d start one. :D

I remember I got my first projector (SharpVision) when I started Pharmacy School around 1992. I’ve been using projectors ever since. But I never thought about buying JVC even though I heard so much raves about JVC on AVS forum and here on AH (@BMXTRIX).

The one thing I kept on hearing about JVC was their unmatched Native contrast and Black Levels. People kept on saying that JVC has beautiful blacks. And I thought, “How can Black levels be beautiful?”

After owning a JVC NX5, I now understand why people were raving about JVC.

A friend of mine in Texas just got a JVC 790.

A friend of mine in OKC just got his JVC NX7 because he just had to outdo me. :mad::D

Hopefully we can keep this thread going. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, didn't they use to manufacturer avrs and stereos? If I remember they also use to do the VHS thing all so. Video recorders, even VHS tapes for recording. Why would anyone try to out do you Andrew? Maybe if a farmer lived next door to you they could put two, or three Cow's in their front yard to chew the grass up just so their front yard would look better.;) But than you have all the Cow dunga! Poo-yah tell you!:p:(:D. Oh the pain! :p. PS, they JVC, also did TV's also old tube type.
Wassup, Big Money Mike. :D

Yeah, I used to own a big-time JVC Super-VHS player.:D

But JVC got rid of pretty much everything and focused mainly on high-end projectors now, which is great for the projector enthusiasts.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some images that I have posted here on AH on other threads related to the JVC projectors.

Notice the Resolution from Kodi: 4096x2160p. :cool:
Too bad the 4K movies are 3840x2160p.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in ADTG! I still haven't found my book with all my passwords. :mad:. Lol. Google hasn't gotten back to me yet, I shot Gene a message,asking him for help to get back into my original profile. Anyways opened up this profile, you like my Gmoney huh? :D. I started to use BMG, short for Big Money Grip. :D
Yeah, you should have used BigMoneyGrip. Haha. :D

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
As a dealer it was really difficult getting a hold of JVC projectors for the first half of this year. I hope it's not that bad for next year's models. Looking forward to seeing what's new at CEDIA in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As a dealer it was really difficult getting a hold of JVC projectors for the first half of this year. I hope it's not that bad for next year's models. Looking forward to seeing what new at CEDIA in a couple of weeks.
Like Native 8K news? :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC has always had a certain 'WOW!' factor for me. Every time I would install one, I would just be blown away by the black levels and it's almost like you need to own a DLP projector or a LCD projector to understand what LCoS brings to the table. Sony projectors also look stunning, but they've had some claims of contrast fade after a couple of years, which is a pretty serious defect. JVC just seems to remain rock solid in terms of both image quality and reliability. Not like people are lining up for JVC TVs or a lot of their other products in the consumer market these days, but man... their projectors!

Yes, they still make the other stuff. Receivers, camcorders, headphones, DVRs, security cameras are all in their mix, but I'm not sure why I'd drop over $600 for a iPod (yes iPod) equipped 32" TV.

I finally got my own JVC (X590) this year and put it up just a few months ago. My unfinished basement doesn't do it the proper justice it deserves, but works for now. Watching movies on the 161" screen is truly spectacular and a significant upgrade from my BenQ W1070.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
As a dealer it was really difficult getting a hold of JVC projectors for the first half of this year. I hope it's not that bad for next year's models. Looking forward to seeing what new at CEDIA in a couple of weeks.
Well maybe the company you work for doesn't have the connections that Andrew AudioRX has. But ADTG, is the 1st to own one and post up and has actual first-hand knowledge in using in his home theater room that I know of. Maybe switch over DD!!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JVC has always had a certain 'WOW!' factor for me. Every time I would install one, I would just be blown away by the black levels and it's almost like you need to own a DLP projector or a LCD projector to understand what LCoS brings to the table. Sony projectors also look stunning, but they've had some claims of contrast fade after a couple of years, which is a pretty serious defect. JVC just seems to remain rock solid in terms of both image quality and reliability. Not like people are lining up for JVC TVs or a lot of their other products in the consumer market these days, but man... their projectors!

Yes, they still make the other stuff. Receivers, camcorders, headphones, DVRs, security cameras are all in their mix, but I'm not sure why I'd drop over $600 for a iPod (yes iPod) equipped 32" TV.

I finally got my own JVC (X590) this year and put it up just a few months ago. My unfinished basement doesn't do it the proper justice it deserves, but works for now. Watching movies on the 161" screen is truly spectacular and a significant upgrade from my BenQ W1070.
Yeah, seeing all those guys on AVS talk about JVC and then seeing you talk about JVC finally pushed me over the edge a few months ago. :D

I really don't like that you have a 161" screen, though, since mine is only 150". :p

Even though I've been using projectors for about 27 years now, I've always considered myself an "Audio-first" person. But it makes sense to go all-out for both Audio and Video. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Some images that I have posted here on AH on other threads related to the JVC projectors.

Notice the Resolution from Kodi: 4096x2160p. :cool:
Too bad the 4K movies are 3840x2160p.
4K, well get the source man! You'll never know just how great seeing 4k really is. Post up when your source matches up. Other than that them pretty blue lights are nice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
4K, well get the source man! You'll never know just how great seeing 4k really is. Post up when your source matches up.
My source is usually 4K (3840 x 2160p) Dolby Atmos BluRay on Computer MKV files, especially all the new 2019 releases.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
My source is usually 4K (3840 x 2160p) Dolby Atmos BluRay on Computer MKV files, especially all the new 2019 releases.
It's still not Full 4k, but very close I don't believe you could really see any difference between the two sources. But with my old eyes anything 720 and above looks great. I do find myself sitting closer to my 50" more so. Either prescription glasses are needed or a bigger HD screen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing wrong with making a personal backup of your discs onto a digital copy. As long as it is 1:1, then PC or disc will be the exact same quality if the playback device is solid. It's so hard with so many different codecs in use for everything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What Picture and Lamp Power modes are you guys using?

For the picture mode, I use the NATURAL mode because it looks awesome right out of the box for me. So I didn't manually adjust anything.

I think the CINEMA mode has a lot more vibrant colors and more similar to HDR-type of colors. But probably too colorful and vibrant for my taste.

NATURAL mode just seems more "natural" to me. :D

For Lamp Power mode, I use the LOW Power mode.

We're supposed to clean the Lamp Filter in the back of the Projector. I've looked at it twice now. It looks like new. So I guess it takes a while for the filter to get dusty. :D

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I really feel inadequate, my screen is only 106" at 1.39. But I have a Panamorph lens that's pretty cool!

I don't know what it is about JVC, projectors but whenever I compare them to other brands, they just seem to have a more vibrant and warm picture than all the rest. At the same time they also seem more natural and generally pleasing. Must be because of the black levels, but I think there's more to it than that.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
What Picture and Lamp Power modes are you guys using?

For the picture mode, I use the NATURAL mode because it looks awesome right out of the box for me. So I didn't manually adjust anything.

I think the CINEMA mode has a lot more vibrant colors and more similar to HDR-type of colors. But probably too colorful and vibrant for my taste.

NATURAL mode just seems more "natural" to me. :D

For Lamp Power mode, I use the LOW Power mode.

We're supposed to clean the Lamp Filter in the back of the Projector. I've looked at it twice now. It looks like new. So I guess it takes a while for the filter to get dusty. :D
Isn't that the whole idea of going with a projector in the 1st place. Having many options, won't know till you try man. With a big HT room why not try out all the settings maybe just maybe you'll find other settings that will enhance your definition experience like being in a IMAX theater, you know the one's that have 30ft by 90ft screens.
Just soon setup 13.3 and be done with it. :D. I readed Emotiva has a really nice Pro-processor out now. Give it a shot, they have a 30 free return no questions asked policies. :D

Last edited:
C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
So I've officially joined this club! I've just finished the install with the ceiling mount and have done the basic alignment. Other than that everything is straight out of the box factory settings.

All I can say is WOW! I've never seen a picture that clear, sharp and inky blacks on anything like this before. I've have a calibrated plasma which I still dearly love but it can't touch this. My last projector that got fried in the lighting strike was a Panasonic PT8000 and we really loved it right until it had smoke coming out of it.

So to let anyone get a grasp on how different it is, I'll tell you how my resident non technology person( my wife) put it when I had her come take a peek today. She's been watching Netflix etc on a new LG tv we had to buy to replace the dead one and she loves it. I had her sit down and just watch a few different clips and her opinion was night and day difference. She actually said it was worth every penny! Wife Acceptance Factor approved so if you're on the fence as I was because it has a higher price find someone has can show you how great it is.

Where I live nobody has anything close so I read and read and read before taking the advice of @AcuDefTechGuy (many many thanks!!!!) so it was a gamble. I'd make that bet again any day.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I've officially joined this club! I've just finished the install with the ceiling mount and have done the basic alignment. Other than that everything is straight out of the box factory settings.

All I can say is WOW! I've never seen a picture that clear, sharp and inky blacks on anything like this before. I've have a calibrated plasma which I still dearly love but it can't touch this. My last projector that got fried in the lighting strike was a Panasonic PT8000 and we really loved it right until it had smoke coming out of it.

So to let anyone get a grasp on how different it is, I'll tell you how my resident non technology person( my wife) put it when I had her come take a peek today. She's been watching Netflix etc on a new LG tv we had to buy to replace the dead one and she loves it. I had her sit down and just watch a few different clips and her opinion was night and day difference. She actually said it was worth every penny! Wife Acceptance Factor approved so if you're on the fence as I was because it has a higher price find someone has can show you how great it is.

Where I live nobody has anything close so I read and read and read before taking the advice of @AcuDefTechGuy (many many thanks!!!!) so it was a gamble. I'd make that bet again any day.
Congrats and welcome to the JVC PJ Club. :D

It sounds cliché and hyped when we say that people have to see the JVC PJ picture to believe it. But it seems everyone who has seen it says the same thing.

I’ve mentioned this several times, but it’s funny so I’ll mention it again. One of the 1st movies I saw when I got my JVC was “Replicas”, which was streaming from Netflix in highly compressed 1080p. The story was so bad, but I couldn’t believe how amazing the picture looked and I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen.

Planet Earth II 4K is as good a picture as it gets, but even 720p contents can look absolutely stunning on these JVC projectors.

It’s not a hype.

JVC is for real.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis