Just a quick question on the Toslink connection for MINIDSP 4X2HD

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
No I mean when i am not in the LT EQ.

If I want to cut a peak down on lets say EQ3... not sure what shelf to use or use a peak filter.

When you say worksheets (plural)... did you complete all the tabs or just the LT tab? Because on the bottom of the file, there are a bunch of more tabs that I didn't touch.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh wow that is a huge tip. I thought I would be able to lower that null.. so I think I get it. Don't worry about flattening out the nulls just try to lower the peaks. To do this, just decrease the gain in PEQ at the frequency that I need?

What variation should I be aiming for? +-5 db flatness on the graph? What de should I be outputting my sweeps at? (90db?)

I can try to move the subs around some but they are so heavy lol. I crawled and found that it sounds best in the corner. I can try again, however.
Lol. I think you might be just a little backwards. Nulls are the dips. Peaks are...peaks!

Basically you have it right. Try to flatten the peaks. If you have a null(dip) in the crossover region add a few feet, one at a time to the sub distance in the AVR. +/-5db is pretty ok. I sweep at about 90db usually. That should be fine.

Also. Remember to watch the “q” of your filter. That’s how wide it is. If you only need a narrow range pulled down, use a narrow q. Conversely, I wider Q will address a wider range of frequencies.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Lol. I think you might be just a little backwards. Nulls are the dips. Peaks are...peaks!

Basically you have it right. Try to flatten the peaks. If you have a null(dip) in the crossover region add a few feet, one at a time to the sub distance in the AVR. +/-5db is pretty ok. I sweep at about 90db usually. That should be fine.

Also. Remember to watch the “q” of your filter. That’s how wide it is. If you only need a narrow range pulled down, use a narrow q. Conversely, I wider Q will address a wider range of frequencies.
Very good yes that makes a lot of sense. What about the shelving? should I focus on one in particular?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very good yes that makes a lot of sense. What about the shelving? should I focus on one in particular?
You’ll want to use peak filters(if I remember that right. Been awhile lol). The shelf is where you want the high pass to start. For example, a shelf filter at 20hz with a +5db rise should give you a house curve that starts at 20 and slowly slopes down to about 200hz. Below 20, you can set the slope(I think) of the roll off to protect the subs if they’re ported for example.
In the image below you can see that the curve slopes from about 16hz@95db to 80hz @ about 85db.(this was without mains) that’s basically a house curve, and the “knee” is where the line starts to bend at 16hz. People sometimes say they put the “knee” at xyz frequency meaning where the shelf is.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Good information. Thanks again for the lesson! I think I will try moving the subs around one at a time to try and get rid of those nulls.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis