JBL Studio 698! I just had to do it fellas!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But I bet you could buy some custom ones as long as the screws would fit through them into the threads they would work just fine.

That's not a bad idea Lovin I'm glad you brought that up
So it does have threaded inserts but nothing came to use them with? Fall out of that sad box or they just don't provide any more? Get plugs for ports?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Getting ahead here a bit, but if you like these would you use a center in your room? And if so would you then order the matching center?
If I like them eventually I will get a center but if I do considering the big center for these is $700 and some change I'd just buy a 3rd 698 since it's only like a 100 more and just go with 3 towers for my front stage like I always have

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So it does have threaded inserts but nothing came to use them with? Fall out of that sad box or they just don't provide any more? Get plugs for ports?
It has threaded inserts and it came with spike that just thread into them and pads I'm not sure how the pads work I got talked into coming into work so I'll send you pictures of what they sent as soon as I get home later

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Getting ahead here a bit, but if you like these would you use a center in your room? And if so would you then order the matching center?
I mean I could buy a 690 for the center but again that's only a $100 less then the 698 and its a 2.5 way vs a 3 way with different frequency response and crossovers if I remember correctly and I'm very anal about the front 3 being identical in the front stage I don't mind mixing and matching the surrounds and heights but not the front 3. Those have to be identical for me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh and they didn't come with port plugs either

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has threaded inserts and it came with spike that just thread into them and pads I'm not sure how the pads work I got talked into coming into work so I'll send you pictures of what they sent as soon as I get home later
Oh I took it as it didn't come with spikes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Does your manual say what's supposed to be included? I'd run that by Crutchfield....
I looked in the manual it didn't say anything about port plugs but your right considering I could put my entire arm through that hole I probably better check with Crutchfield.

The second speaker is coming tommorow according to UPS so if that box is intact :rolleyes:
we can know for sure if they come or not

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked in the manual it didn't say anything about port plugs but your right considering I could put my entire arm through that hole I probably better check with Crutchfield.

The second speaker is coming tommorow according to UPS so if that box is intact :rolleyes:
we can know for sure if they come or not
All my studio 5s came with port plugs....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
All my studio 5s came with port plugs....
What's in the box:
JBL Studio 698 owner's manual

View box contents

Floorstanding loudspeaker
Grille
4 Spike feet
4 Washers
4 Locking-collars
4 Foot-pads
2 Jumper-straps (pre-installed)
Owner's Manual
Warranty Card

This is from Crutchfield this is a list of what they have in the box

Yeah it looks like JBL is not supplying port plugs anymore everything on this list is indeed what came in the box

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So 1rst Impressions. Boxing not the best not the worst. I do feel these should have been double boxed but the boxing was done well enough to keep major damage to the box from damaging the speaker. When the 2nd.one arrives I'll take pictures of the un boxing so you can see for yourselves
Sorry to hear about your experience. It sucks JBL did not put more thought into packing. Bummer. I think Crutchfield will do you justice. I've bought from them in years past and had a good experience.

When I received my BMR towers I was nervous! Boy one of the boxes took a beating! Thankfully the speakers were double-boxed. One of the second boxes got torn by something in transit via UPS. Looked like a knife had poked it. Thankfully when I opened the towers were covered head to toe in thick custom foam inserts and the speakers were perfectly fine. I was extremely impressed with the packing.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear about your experience. It sucks JBL did not put more thought into packing. Bummer. I think Crutchfield will do you justice. I've bought from them in years past and had a good experience.

When I received my BMR towers I was nervous! Boy one of the boxes took a beating! Thankfully the speakers were double-boxed. One of the second boxes got torn by something in transit via UPS. Looked like a knife had poked it. Thankfully when I opened the towers were covered head to toe in thick custom foam inserts and the speakers were perfectly fine. I was extremely impressed with the packing.
Crutchfield has been great. UPS has been a nightmare. 2nd speaker still sitting over in Kentucky since Friday according to the tracking number. They say it's to be delivered tommorow but I don't see how unless the tracking info has not been updated. That does happen sometimes

If it doesn't get here by tommorow that's where my understanding is going to start turning into being pissed. I ordered these last Monday Crutchfield says on the website free 2 day air shipping. Well it will be 7 days by the end of Monday and no speaker. That's not Critchfields fault UPS messed up but UPS will be getting a peice of my mind. I doubt they'll even care tho

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Crutchfield has been great. UPS has been a nightmare. 2nd speaker still sitting over in Kentucky since Friday according to the tracking number. They say it's to be delivered tommorow but I don't see how unless the tracking info has not been updated. That does happen sometimes

If it doesn't get here by tommorow that's where my understanding is going to start turning into being pissed. I ordered these last Monday Crutchfield says on the website free 2 day air shipping. Well it will be 7 days by the end of Monday and no speaker. That's not Critchfields fault UPS messed up but UPS will be getting a peice of my mind. I doubt they'll even care tho
You are right to think that they won't care. I get why you are frustrated, but make sure you don't take it out on some poor customer service rep for UPS. Just try to work with them to recover the speaker. These things happen. I have 1 speaker out of a pair right now that needs to be reviewed, and we are still looking for the other speaker in transit. It'll make its way to you so long as the shipping label is intact, and even then there are ways to identify the product and get it to you if the label somehow got removed and lost.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You are right to think that they won't care. I get why you are frustrated, but make sure you don't take it out on some poor customer service rep for UPS. Just try to work with them to recover the speaker. These things happen. I have 1 speaker out of a pair right now that needs to be reviewed, and we are still looking for the other speaker in transit. It'll make its way to you so long as the shipping label is intact, and even then there are ways to identify the product and get it to you if the label somehow got removed and lost.
Good advice Shady I appreciate it. By the way these are really really good looking speakers. I love there look WAY WAY better then the 590

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just can't understand why it's just been sitting in Kentucky since 933am on Friday. Unless the info has not been updated. Was there bad weather or something in Kentucky that would cause its delay?

Ugggghhh these speakers look so good its so hard to have one sitting here just teasing me and I can't even play with it!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Mar. 20, 2023 - 5:15 AMSan Antonio TXProcessing at UPS Facility

YES!!!! YES!!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

:oops:

I knew it all along. I wasn't worried one bit :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Mar. 20, 2023 - 5:15 AM San Antonio TX Processing at UPS Facility

YES!!!! YES!!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :oops:

I knew it all along. I wasn't worried one bit :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
After what seemed like an impossibly long wait, your lesson in patience has paid off. I'm glad your first speaker was undamaged despite that carton's appearance. I hope the second speaker arrives in good condition as well, but with less drama.

FWIW, I suffered something similar years ago. When I first bought my Salk Songtowers, in 2007, they arrived around the Labor Day weekend. One speaker arrived on a Friday, and the other on the next Tuesday. After a week or two had passed, I didn't care anymore. That's not uncommon with shipping big items.

New speakers can be a big pleasure, enjoy them :).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis