JBL Studio 698! I just had to do it fellas!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Little later this morning I'll at least open up the one box and if the speaker is okay I'll take pictures and give you guys my impressions on its appearance and aesthetics

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You can’t hold UPS against Crutchfield. I’ve had similar happen.

But what is it with Louisville? I ordered coffee from this shop in L.A. and it’s usually here second day. The shipment never showed up in my UPS app, so when I tracked it… I discovered it was in M.F’n Louisville KY!
WT actual F are my beans doing in Kentucky?!

And!

They didn’t have the courtesy to send me a bottle of Bourbon.
:mad:

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I've had really great results with Crutchfield and especially if any issues arise. They are good for these reasons because I don't feel a personal relationship with them enough that if the ysend me soemthing I don't like I don't feel bad returning. Which strangely I do feel that way with smaller companies I have ordered form where you deal with the owner. So that's good.

Still that's frustrating especially since you planned a full weekend of fun.

Worth listening to the one I guess! Have fun

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

But what is it with Louisville? I ordered coffee from this shop in L.A. and it’s usually here second day. The shipment never showed up in my UPS app, so when I tracked it… I discovered it was in M.F’n Louisville KY!

And!

Yeah my issue hasn't been with Crutchfield. More UPS. I'm just feeling the disappointment

I don't know man something strange is going on with Kentucky!!!

K

kini

Full Audioholic

And!

Kentucky is their main hub. Nearly everything gets routed through there before heading to its destination.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So good news speaker appears undamaged out of the box

Bad news the vinyl on the top of the speaker appears to be incorrectly applied or something went wrong with it. There is air bubbles it appears in the finish and it's dull and cloudy in spots the sides and back look fine. It's very noticeable when your close to the speaker. I contacted Crutchfield and sent them photos of the blemishes an bubbles. Once the 2nd speaker arrives I'll figure out with them what to do about this. Once again customer service was responsive and excellent.

20230318_184203.jpg
20230318_184151.jpg
20230318_184140.jpg
20230318_184436.jpg
20230318_184125.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So 1rst Impressions. Boxing not the best not the worst. I do feel these should have been double boxed but the boxing was done well enough to keep major damage to the box from damaging the speaker. When the 2nd.one arrives I'll take pictures of the un boxing so you can see for yourselves

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So 1rst Impressions. Boxing not the best not the worst. I do feel these should have been double boxed but the boxing was done well enough to keep major damage to the box from damaging the speaker. When the 2nd.one arrives I'll take pictures of the un boxing so you can see for yourselves
My 590s arrived via UPS and the boxes didn't fare well and not much protection inside the box either, but mine were fine nonetheless. The 580s had much better packing/protection for some reason (also via UPS).

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Appearance these look gorgeous compared to the 590's the pictures don't do them justive. The grill is magnetic and just snaps right on nice touch. Those drivers and that compression horn look gorgeous definetly looks sexier without the grill.

BUT.

The finish has a very nice appearance. And will go well in my room. But it's a fairly cheap vinyl wrap you can see the seams going down the back of the speaker. This is not an issue for me the studio 5 line was the same way. JBL would skimp on some aesthetics but deliver where it really matters the drivers the crossovers and internals and the sound. I'm hoping they will do the same here with the studio 6 line. The base is very sturdy and they no longer have that tipping over feeling the studio 590 towers would have

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh and these babies are beasts they are big! They weigh close to 80lbs so they take some effort to move them around

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Sorry you've had so much trouble with this purchase. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. My Crutchfield experiences have been great as well. At this point, I'm not so sure about UPS though.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well I feel dumb that problem with the finish on the top turned out to be a protective clear plastic cover that protects the top it peeled right off. Must be for protection that was the tightest cover I've ever seen it peeled off like a plastic screen protector peels off the screen of your phone so now the speaker is unblemished and looks completely undamaged from its rough journey here. The second one needs to hurry up and get here!!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry you've had so much trouble with this purchase. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. My Crutchfield experiences have been great as well. At this point, I'm not so sure about UPS though.
Thanks I just posted the top is ok and the speaker is completely okay from its rough trip here. Crutchfield has been awesome! The delay from UPS on the 2nd speaker and the condition of the box upon arrival was frustrating but that's not Crutchfields fault.

UPS needs to hurry up and get this 2nd speaker here!!!! Doesn't UPS know when you f#$ with one member of audioholics you f!@# with every member of audioholics!!!!

They're holding up our thread here man! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do these come with outrigger type feet as well?
But I bet you could buy some custom ones as long as the screws would fit through them into the threads they would work just fine.

That's not a bad idea Lovin I'm glad you brought that up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I can't get over how nice I like the look of the vinyl wrap. It may not be the most expensive application of one but the color is very nice it has a red tint to a very dark brown almost black wood like finsh very unique.

So guys if you buy the dark wood finish be aware your not getting black they may have a black finish so be sure what your ordering

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Getting ahead here a bit, but if you like these would you use a center in your room? And if so would you then order the matching center?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis