JBL Releases Updated Iconic JBL L100 Speakers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Vintage JBL enthusiasts know what a jewel the L100 speakers, even 50 years after their inception. In fact, according to Harman, they're among the all time best selling speakers from JBL. Harman just announced an update to this legendary design with completely new modernized drivers and crossover components designed by Chris Hagen, the original designer of the L100T3s. Now you can get a refresh to a classic, but it's going to cost you some dough.

JBL L100.JPG

Read: JBL Releases Updated Iconic JBL L100 Speakers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've been wondering when nostalgia would infect audio systems. I wonder what's next, a "new" Marantz 2270 receiver? A new AR turntable? I admit, I don't get nostalgia in technology.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've been wondering when nostalgia would infect audio systems. I wonder what's next, a "new" Marantz 2270 receiver? A new AR turntable? I admit, I don't get nostalgia in technology.
If I had a room for them, I'd take em, but the grille covers would have to go. I can't imagine how poorly they affect HF response. Just a bad idea IMO.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I could see $2k, but $4k is surely aimed at the retro heads. I'm on the fence about these. Kind of how I feel about the 'essence of old' vibe with Mustangs and Camaros etc. A design tactic I have gotten bored with just for the predictability of the whole affair.

I'm a long time JBL fan and even though I got a little excited at the idea initially, it faded about as fast.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
These seem appropriately priced. I have the L100t3's and have contemplated if made today they too would cost about $4000. I think the bottom line for me is will the upgrades to drivers and crossover deliver sound I perceive to be better in some manner than what I'm getting now. For about $1000 more I could buy a pair of 4429's which I know will get me a better experience than I can get from my present speakers. I think anyone would be smart to compare these new JBL's to other book shelf offerings and decide not on nostalgia but on satisfaction with the sound. I'm certain many folks will enjoy this offering. The only thing I wonder about is why it took so long for this walnut veneer cased model to reappear.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Retrogaming!

It could be argued that gaming is an extension of technology.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone still want to play Pac-Man?
Yes, if you market it as 'vintage' to the right crowd :rolleyes:.

On the original topic, a new L-100 for $4k seems too expensive. I bought a pair of them in 1973 for about $280, if I remember correctly. That was with a military discount – I believe the retail price at the time was $400. With inflation, does $400 in 1973 become $4000 in 2018? I found the old JBL L-100As (with the modified crossovers I built) could be satisfactorily replaced by a $2k speaker.

My biggest question for the new L-100 is about the bass cabinet tuning. For many 12" woofers, that's a small cabinet. Is the bass well damped? Or is exaggerated like the original L-100s? Their bass alignment resulted in a Q of at least 1.0. Those old woofers would have done better in a much larger sealed cabinet – too large for any 'bookshelf' cabinet. I would hope those new woofers are suitable for those ported cabinets.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone still want to play Pac-Man?
Yup, retrogaming is huge right now, as evidenced by the recent NES mini and SNES mini.

Raspberry Pi has had a big hand in reviving old games through emulation. It is very cheap now for a hobbyist to build their own arcade machine.

The day that I can really have a dedicated HT, I plan to have an arcade machine in the back.

Fun games are fun, regardless of the vintage!

2many

Audiophyte

On the original topic, a new L-100 for $4k seems too expensive. I bought a pair of them in 1973 for about $280, if I remember correctly. That was with a military discount – I believe the retail price at the time was $400. With inflation, does $400 in 1973 become $4000 in 2018? I found the old JBL L-100As (with the modified crossovers I built) could be satisfactorily replaced by a $2k speaker.

My biggest question for the new L-100 is about the bass cabinet tuning. For many 12" woofers, that's a small cabinet. Is the bass well damped? Or is exaggerated like the original L-100s? Their bass alignment resulted in a Q of at least 1.0. Those old woofers would have done better in a much larger sealed cabinet – too large for any 'bookshelf' cabinet. I would hope those new woofers are suitable for those ported cabinets.
Swerd, I have a pair of L100s that I want to sell, but wish to get them to someone who cares about them. Any suggestions about where to put them up? I could go Ebay, but I thought I’d check with you, since I read quite a few posts from you about them, several years ago. Thanks~George

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Actually, according to a CPI calculator, $400 in 1973 works out to $2217 in 2017, so your sense is correct. I think, however, that the new version looks like it uses much higher quality components and construction than the original product. On the other hand, I suspect one can do so much better than these for $4000/pair that they seem like a decision more for emotion than for product merit.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Swerd, I have a pair of L100s that I want to sell, but wish to get them to someone who cares about them. Any suggestions about where to put them up? I could go Ebay, but I thought I’d check with you, since I read quite a few posts from you about them, several years ago. Thanks~George
They seem to sell at good prices on Ebay. I don't know of a site that works better. Maybe people at Lansing Heritage Forums might know.

If you do sell them, let me know. I don't listen to mine anymore, so I might want to sell them too.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

First audiophile grade speakers I bought too while working for Silo's in '72, at a discount for $250, along with a Sony receiver (85W) and a Dual turntable. I thought and so did my friends that I was the cat's meow. My parents? Not so much :D Especially when I cranked it up. Put the old Magnavox furniture entertainment unit in the living room to shame. That's all I cared about. :)

4K? :eek: Really? I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

2many

Audiophyte
They seem to sell at good prices on Ebay. I don't know of a site that works better. Maybe people at Lansing Heritage Forums might know.

If you do sell them, let me know. I don't listen to mine anymore, so I might want to sell them too.
Thank you, Swerd, I will put them up on Ebay, and let you know my results. If I controlled things, I’d probably upgrade them with a new crossover kit, but “the wife” won’t allow them in the house, claiming they’re “too big”. An Audiophile she is not, and I have other battles to fight.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd always somewhat regretted going with my Original Advents instead of the more expensive JBL L100 way back in the early 70s when I bought my first pair of speakers and tt to go with the receiver my dad handed down, but....not 4k worth of regret :) I did get some JBL 590s last year for a delivered price of $900/pr....maybe I could see them priced at 2k/pr like the msrp for the 590 but 4k? Are they made in the US to complete the nostalgaic thing and cause the high price?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'd always somewhat regretted going with my Original Advents instead of the more expensive JBL L100 way back in the early 70s when I bought my first pair of speakers and tt to go with the receiver my dad handed down…
Interesting – at the time, I was more interested in those Advents. I was in the Navy, in southern Italy, and Advent speakers were not available. The only choices I had were the L100s and a bunch of Japanese speakers. No other American-made speakers were available. It was an easy choice, L100 or an underwhelming Japanese-made speaker. I never did get a chance to compare the Advent with the L100.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting – at the time, I was more interested in those Advents. I was in the Navy, in southern Italy, and Advent speakers were not available. The only choices I had were the L100s and a bunch of Japanese speakers. No other American-made speakers were available. It was an easy choice, L100 or an underwhelming Japanese-made speaker. I never did get a chance to compare the Advent with the L100.
I'd listened to the L100s at the store as well as a few friends' houses and always enjoyed them but we never thought to try and bring mine over for a comparison. I was considering ARs (fuzzy on model number but believe they were slightly more expensive) as well as the Advents and was able to compare those and preferred the Advents. I was 16 at the time and did what magazine and sales floor research I could before I just had to buy something, too :) My car at the time was my biggest expense and where most of my hard-earned money went....for what the JBLs were over the Advents I believe was a set of nice tires....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis