M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't think you were being dismissive. Though I'm not brand-loyal myself, I understand it.

The Audioengine speakers are not value products. They use relatively premium finishes, and have some fancier flourishes (like the remote). I think the 5+ sounds very good, but I can easily see where someone might not want to spend that much.
I'm not really brand loyal which is why I DIY my speakers mostly. I have had a pretty good run with JBL products though.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@MrBoat, I've been just leaving mine on, but for a desktop setup, a power strip may be the easiest solution.
I'm not one to normally leave things on, but they seem not to draw much current when not in use (based on temperature). As you noted, they barely get warm when being played. When not being played, I didn't notice any heat from them.

I like their sound better than the Audioengine 5, but the 5+ is supposed to be improved. Also have the sense that the 305's would go much louder (which is often a moot point for a desktop). However, the AE5's definitely are designed for consumer use with the USB port, volume up front, etc.

Probably the most impressive thing about the 305's is the dispersion of the waveguide. While TheWarrior and ATLAudio were seated in the LP, I picked up one of the 305's off of it's stand and tilted it every which way up to about 30 degrees off axis. They did not hear any variation in the sound character! But, again, that is not of great benefit in a traditional desktop setup.

Lastly, one benefit of a well designed studio monitor is that the amps are designed exclusively for each driver. This allows the manufacturer to make it pretty bullet-proof just like the better designed subwoofers...the amp can limit before going into clipping.

Also, crossover resistance happens at low-level before the amps due to the active design. I don't know if this really matters, but intuitively, it seems like it is better than giving the signal extra juice then running it into the crossover. If nothing else it seems it would be more efficient since the resistance is being applied to much smaller power load.
Regardless of how they do it, these little speakers are righteous. Waveguides ended up being the magic bullet for my listening room and I like my speakers toed in. I think that's part of what makes these as the best compromise with a near field monitor that can serve multiple functions.

My Fusion-12s have the SEOS waveguide, suggested to me on this forum by ski2xblack and those speakers have blown me away since. The shape of the waveguide on the JBLs compared to the SEOS is what intrigued me. Not having to contend with a MLP in my space is a great thing and there are a lot of options with that included effect.

As far as the power, I like the idea of building a custom option into the stands just for the heck of it and not everybody can say they have active speaker stands :) . I can make the wiring integral and all but about a foot will be concealed between my audio shelves and the speakers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, you know what really is funny? Being in the car audio/video business for many years I always hated JBL..........LOL!!!! No real reason really. Just made up my mind back then that I hated them.......LOL!!! Boy, was I ever so wrong, eh? :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil
That's another thing. Bandwagon brand hate as promoted by the internet and elsewhere. Most of which I have never been able to find legitimate agreement with.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's another thing. Bandwagon brand hate as promoted by the internet and elsewhere. Most of which I have never been able to find legitimate agreement with.
Right right. But, I was young and wet behind the ears.......LOL!!!! We live and learn right? Never really gave JBL a chance until one day we got a vehicle in that was merely all JBL. The install was very professionally done. Custom to the core! Needless to say, it was then I knew that I needed to change some of my thinking and perhaps open my mind a bit. Was going to sell the rights and star in a movie about it. But, hey I am just not the acting kind......LOL!!!!! :D:p:p:D

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I know it's wrong in an audiophilic sense, but I am still liking these little JBL speakers. The bass is just right for music, by my ear. These are possibly the most 'set it, and forget it' speakers that I own. Just playing directly off the pc, although, they did well off the phone too. They're just so unassuming other than the little cyclops LEDs in the front.

I count this as a score with things I tend to value as favorites for long periods of time, provided they last. I can see me travelling with these for a music source when away from home and never being audiohomesick.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know it's wrong in an audiophilic sense, but I am still liking these little JBL speakers. The bass is just right for music, by my ear. These are possibly the most 'set it, and forget it' speakers that I own. Just playing directly off the pc, although, they did well off the phone too. They're just so unassuming other than the little cyclops LEDs in the front.

I count this as a score with things I tend to value as favorites for long periods of time, provided they last. I can see me travelling with these for a music source when away from home and never being audiohomesick.
Well stated!
When you consider these provide amplification and the sound quality they do, I consider them among the absolutely best values in audio.
The perfect solution for a college student on a budget who wants to be able to seriously enjoy music/sound quality!
I use mine with an Amazon Echo Dot! Almost feel like I'm living in the 21st century!;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis