JBL 5 Series on sale again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's stated as a 6 ohm speaker but from his measurements it hangs out really in 4ohms makes a lot of sense to me

My experience with this has been that these babies like a lot of power and can handle it as well in my room

I wonder if the 590's are the same way. They are above average in sensitivity so it doesn't take much to get them going at lower volumes

But when playing around they do and will handle a lot of power with no issues

They'll get me to quit way before distortion or reference the only time I attempted to get close to reference they were so clean but I gave ought long before they did. They are not shy with power that's for sure
From the measurements/review by Australian Hi-Fi mag on the 590s for impedance:

The impedance drops to 5Ω at 138Hz
and to 4.5Ω at 15kHz, so the Studio 590 is
technically a 6Ω design, which is exactly as
it’s rated by JBL

(the pdf of the review/measurements is too large to upload for AH)

R

rrj

Enthusiast
For those interested looks like the 590, 530 and the 520C are back on sale on the JBL/Harman websites...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 580's are special this time! There always seems to be one hold-out on these sales:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 580's are special this time! There always seems to be one hold-out on these sales:
Always piques my curiosity...glad I scored mine for $ 518 the pair ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd

Nice! How did you get that deal?
Wasn't terribly unusual when those go on sale (was same outfit as my 590s on Amazon)....got my 590s for $900 the pair delivered several years ago. Got a 530/520 set used from a forum member here, then later the 580s came up....

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
66% off? Just clarifying - because those (580s) are $800 each MSRP and the recent deals I've seen are more like 50% off.

I'm interested in the 590's but I have too many speakers right now. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
66% off? Just clarifying - because those (580s) are $800 each MSRP and the recent deals I've seen are more like 50% off.

I'm interested in the 590's but I have too many speakers right now. :)
590's are great! Just check the dimensions before you buy, they are likely bigger than you think!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wasn't terribly unusual when those go on sale (was same outfit as my 590s on Amazon)....got my 590s for $900 the pair delivered several years ago. Got a 530/520 set used from a forum member here, then later the 580s came up....
I don't know, I watch prices and think they usually go for around around $340-360 when on sale. I have never seen them less than $300. I think $259/ea. is exceptional!

Last edited:
X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
I'm still crushing on the 590s in my space even though I love my F35s. I wouldn't even expect big sound differences so much as a difference in soundstage from them being so much taller (I only sit 8 ft away) and it would be nice to not have a gloss finish and the prints it shows (kids, a dog, and a cat).

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I picked up the 530 bookshelf’s for surrounds. I just unplugged the B&W‘s and plugged them in. surprised at how small and light they are. No adjustments made, the sound smoothed out in 5 channel, thanks to you guys I don’t listen like that much anymore.

as impressed as I am with the 590’s, I wish I had something more substantial in the center and surrounds.

Attachments

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I picked up the 530 bookshelf’s for surrounds. I just unplugged the B&W‘s and plugged them in. surprised at how small and light they are. No adjustments made, the sound smoothed out in 5 channel, thanks to you guys I don’t listen like that much anymore.

as impressed as I am with the 590’s, I wish I had something more substantial in the center and surrounds.
I know one of you is going to suggest I run Audyssey again...

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I know one of you is going to suggest I run Audyssey again...
Before I run Audyssey again let me tell you a story...

Yesterday I am listening to music and the 590’s are killing. Streaming Apple Music from my cell phone. My subs are corner loaded, my speakers have room to breathe so I decided to pull the subs about a foot out of the corner to let them breathe. To my surprise they were boomy sounding. So I grab the remote and start turning the subs down they were running -2db, I got down to -6db and everything sounded great clean articulate base.

Then I installed the 530’s.

This morning I am playing music and the thought hits me, “the -6db on the subs is close to the the -9db Audyssey recommendation. So I decide to go in and set all the speakers to the Audyssey settings.

WOW!
my head literally hurts from trying to understand this. Everything sounds great! If I had a gripe about the 590’s it was that the highs were not as pronounced as I like. When I turned the speakers down they opened up even more.

I also put the port plugs in the 530’s, they produced full richer sound.

now I am trying to remember if the 590’s came with plugs. If they do does anyone use them?

the boxes are up in the rafters....damn. Guess what I am doing today.

Thanks guys and girls.

Attachments

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
This great sound exists up to -17 On the relative volume scale. If I push beyond that it doesn’t sound better to my ear. It sounds worse...so is that where more headroom would help?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This great sound exists up to -17 On the relative volume scale. If I push beyond that it doesn’t sound better to my ear.
Loud isn't always better. ;)
I think, too, that you just experienced the beneficial side of trusting room correction a little. Audyssey does some things very well, and level matching is one of them.
It's also important to keep in mind that boosting the levels artificially can deteriorate SQ. It's one thing for FR Peaks to be attenuated down, but trying to boost comes from the DSP and can more easily lead to distortions, especially if what you are trying to boost is a room effect such as a suckout.

Just curious: Do you still keep all your speakers on the front wall or have you moved your surrounds to the proper positioning for HT usage? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis