JBL 5 Series on sale again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
7’9” tweeter to tweeter.

Should the speakers meet you to form a triangle or cross in front of you or behind you?

How can I make the sweet spot wider? Thanks
Well the traditional format is an equilateral triangle but that doesn't always work in all rooms either. Experiment....I guess I'm doing more the cross behind me thing but only slightly

ps from your previous description of a phantom center sounds like you're in good shape already

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Falling in love with stereo all over again.

I no longer believe in the All Channels Driven. I can hear an audible difference in 2 channel vs 5 channel with these speakers.

Every now and then I get up and walk to the center channel to confirm it is not on.
I know that's insane how well they image right? Glad to hear your enjoying them!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well the traditional format is an equilateral triangle but that doesn't always work in all rooms either. Experiment....I guess I'm doing more the cross behind me thing but only slightly

ps from your previous description of a phantom center sounds like you're in good shape already
Login is spot on if you got the center image locked in I'd say your pretty well positioned as it is

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Considering the gravity of life at the moment, I hesitate to report that these JBL 590’s are great speakers!

I told a friend of mine that I hope to enjoy them with him when this is over.

Stay healthy my friends.
Congrats to you for getting in on this deal - truly one of the best ways to get great sound without breaking the bank!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
7’9” tweeter to tweeter.

Should the speakers meet you to form a triangle or cross in front of you or behind you?

How can I make the sweet spot wider? Thanks
As noted, and observed, it sounds like your phantom image is nice and tight. Now, open up the toe in, in small increments until it stars to fall apart. As in the center image starts to sound like it’s coming from each LR speaker. Then move them back in to where it sounded the tightest, while still being nice and wide. One old skool trick was toe them in so you could just see the inside panel of each speaker. This usually had the tweeters cross behind the listener by a few feet(or a couple feet on either side). Mine work best when the tweeters line up about 4’ behind me. I use a laser level/pointer on the inside and outside panels aimed at my listening area to “aim” my speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Lucky guy onkyo. Enjoy. Maybe one day the 530 will be mine. I'm actually glad I waited since we are all in four walls and no Mola.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Small nit...
Might wanna move your CC up to the edge of the cabinet to avoid interaction with the flat surface.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am questioning if I really need it. Looks wimpy against the towers. you really mean tilted or raised? Any specific material wood,foam etc. thanks
Foam pads, rubber door stops... the idea is to aim it at your LP. And yes you need it! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am questioning if I really need it. Looks wimpy against the towers. you really mean tilted or raised? Any specific material wood,foam etc. thanks
Not talking about using it, that's up to you and what you're listening to as to what your preference is. Just aiming it at your ears like Ryan says.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here’s a photo of my center... hard to see cos everything is black, but the foam monitor pads are angled so the speaker is aimed upwards a little. Instead of firing at my belly, say, it is firing at my shoulders.

***Edit: deleted photo. See next post.

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here, I played with the photo a little to accentuate the contrast of the material, Onkyo... you can see the slope a little more clearly I hope. :) Also, the dust.

(I’m far from perfect.)

;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Here, I played with the photo a little to accentuate the contrast of the material, Onkyo... you can see the slope a little more clearly I hope. :) Also, the dust.

(I’m far from perfect.)

;)

Ok ryno. I’ll share too.
My center has a slight back angle built in, as well as a curved front. I did have it mounted over a TV once. Had to prop the back up like 2”.
Like the dust! Looks just like mine...
Room in progress. Like usual...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
To nail it in :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok ryno. I’ll share too.
My center has a slight back angle built in, as well as a curved front. I did have it mounted over a TV once. Had to prop the back up like 2”.
Like the dust! Looks just like mine...
Room in progress. Like usual...

Okay I'll play guys here's my center channel speakers
20191210_111808.jpg

20191221_170636.jpg

Now I don't have much tilt and I don't have any dust I'm not a perfect person either

I really have a thing for ports Ryan knows about this..... I'd really rather not talk about it right now.... I relapses recently and I feel ashamed and kind off dirty

Bad audioholic!!!! :D ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay I'll play guys here's my center channel speakers
View attachment 34851

View attachment 34852

Now I don't have much tilt and I don't have any dust I'm not a perfect person either

I really have a thing for ports Ryan knows about this..... I'd really rather not talk about it right now.... I relapses recently and I feel ashamed and kind off dirty

Bad audioholic!!!! :D ;)
FWIW, my speakers are dust free. ...Just not the shelf. :p
I don’t have a thing for ports... but my predilection for 3-ways is well known! :oops: o_Oo_O

;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis