JBL 5 Series on sale again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These are Beasts! Taking a break from unboxing them. I will read the manual first, I don’t want to move them again.
Yeah and they're a bit tippy in the forward direction like the warning labels say :) One thing I'd do is check the outrigger feet on the bottom of each to make sure they're not damaged from transport....they really should be transported IMO with those not attached but....

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yeah and they're a bit tippy in the forward direction like the warning labels say :) One thing I'd do is check the outrigger feet on the bottom of each to make sure they're not damaged from transport....they really should be transported IMO with those not attached but....
Not much to read, but I have 3 manuals...
I thought the speakers were refurbished when I saw the feet already attached.

One grille sticks out noticeably, I think
someone pulled it from the top when the instructions are clear to remove from the bottom.

First impressions, I didn’t run Auddessey yet. Wife likes the look and sound, she said she doesn’t mind the height as long as they are not taller than the height of the tv.
Within 10 seconds I knew these were an obvious upgrade from the B&W’s.

In stereo mode they are impressive! Imaging is very good. When I went to all channel stereo mode, there was a noticeable drop in volume of the 590’s.

Right now I would like to run LCR and two subs. I will run Auddessey and try to dial it in.

They live up to my expectations based on the recommendations here.

Center channel - not sure if I need it.
I all of a sudden have way too many channels in my receiver.

I’m just tired right now. With all that’s going on right now it’s hard for me to get excited.

Take care of yourselves and your families.

Gene: keep fighting the good fight.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
That was a heck of a deal on those things. I can sort of understand why they attach the outriggers, I bet more than one person thought they didn't need them only to have them do a face-plant minutes later. Take it easy on setup - I'd run pink noise through the things whenever I wasn't in the same room with them. I know H-K says their boxes don't need break in, but what do they know? ;)

Be interesting to hear your feelings next to the B&W's after you've had a chance to acclimate. 2 totally different approaches to voicing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was a heck of a deal on those things. I can sort of understand why they attach the outriggers, I bet more than one person thought they didn't need them only to have them do a face-plant minutes later. Take it easy on setup - I'd run pink noise through the things whenever I wasn't in the same room with them. I know H-K says their boxes don't need break in, but what do they know? ;)

Be interesting to hear your feelings next to the B&W's after you've had a chance to acclimate. 2 totally different approaches to voicing.
While they may be less stable without the outriggers, doubt they'd just fall over. Didn't try myself, but I did have to add a touch of glue to one of the 590s' outrigger....and when I got the 580s just found those better packaged for transport (the feet were better protected than my 590s were).

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Considering the gravity of life at the moment, I hesitate to report that these JBL 590’s are great speakers!

I told a friend of mine that I hope to enjoy them with him when this is over.

Stay healthy my friends.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Considering the gravity of life at the moment, I hesitate to report that these JBL 590’s are great speakers!

Stay healthy my friends.
It's because of the gravity of life that we need to hear hell I know I need to hear a post like yours I want to hear some positive right now

Too many doomsayers and negativity as it is we need to balance it out

P.S. I've been crazy busy at work so I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you on your last question on the 590's but I'm off all weekend and I'll hit you up tommorow for sure

I'm so glad your loving them lovin talked me into mine and I'm so glad he did they are fantastic at the price we got them can't wait to hear more feedback from you!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Stay healthy my friends.
When all this calms down if you ever head to Texas Id be delighted to have you check out the theater room set up with all studio 5's you should hear them when there all channels a blazing!!!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
When all this calms down if you ever head to Texas Id be delighted to have you check out the theater room set up with all studio 5's you should hear them when there all channels a blazing!!!
Where are you located?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Last year we were really contemplating moving to Georgetown, we drove through SA in December. Next time we swing through I will hit you up, breakfast tacos and brisket!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Last year we were really contemplating moving to Georgetown, we drove through SA in December. Next time we swing through I will hit you up, breakfast tacos and brisket!
Absolutely I'd love to have you guys plus I know all the best places! Breakfast tacos and brisket for life!!!!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So I am streaming Sam Smith, Too Good at Goodbyes, on Apple AirPlay and the center channel is screaming and when the choir sings the towers are powerful!

The center channel is so clear and crisp I am thinking it’s too hot. I get up and walk up to it and I realize it is not playing. I am in stereo mode!

I bring the wife in and sit her in the MLP. I ask her to point to the speaker that she hears Sam Smith, she smiles and points at the center channel, I said when the choir sings point to the speakers you hear. She excitedly points to the towers.

I invited her to go to the center channel to confirm that it was not playing. She looked at me like I was David Blaine.

My only regret is that I didn’t get the bookshelf model to round out the set!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Falling in love with stereo all over again.

I no longer believe in the All Channels Driven. I can hear an audible difference in 2 channel vs 5 channel with these speakers.

Every now and then I get up and walk to the center channel to confirm it is not on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Falling in love with stereo all over again.

I no longer believe in the All Channels Driven. I can hear an audible difference in 2 channel vs 5 channel with these speakers.

Every now and then I get up and walk to the center channel to confirm it is not on.
Curious, how did you position them as far as toe-in goes? Distance from seat and distance between L/R?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Curious, how did you position them as far as toe-in goes? Distance from seat and distance between L/R?
97A1D7D0-F843-4A69-92BF-B78854C96470.jpeg

Speakers are 10” from MLP. I don’t know how to measure toe in. But the front left edge of the speaker is 21 And a half inches from the wall. The front right edge is 25 and a half inches from the wall.

This is for the front right speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 34813

Speakers are 10” from MLP. I don’t know how to measure toe in. But the front left edge of the speaker is 21 And a half inches from the wall. The front right edge is 25 and a half inches from the wall.

This is for the front right speaker.
Yes, it is hard to measure....but looks from the pic you're toeing in slightly more than I do but I'm a bit further away than 10'. What's the distance end up being between tweeters on your L/R?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yes, it is hard to measure....but looks from the pic you're toeing in slightly more than I do but I'm a bit further away than 10'. What's the distance end up being between tweeters on your L/R?
7’9” tweeter to tweeter.

Should the speakers meet you to form a triangle or cross in front of you or behind you?

How can I make the sweet spot wider? Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis