Jamo C607 and Jamo C603...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
can you elaborate?

I haven't had a hearing test in many years... wondering if maybe I should...
I think more people should have their hearing tested. It might reduce the amount of needless debate if they knew why they didn't hear what they were expecting from speakers. If no baseline is available, it's hard to know what will sound good. There's no point is listening to speakers that are known for sounding very neutral if the highs or mids have been punched out by years of using power tools, firearms or being around loud motors.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
can you elaborate?

I haven't had a hearing test in many years... wondering if maybe I should...
Go to an otolaryngologist.

Or go to an audiologist and they'll check out your ears adn test them.

manlystanley

manlystanley

Audioholic Intern
It's a two part answer.

For poorly recorded or average recording quality music, I prefer my C607.

For the better quality recordings, the C807 (now the C809).

But I've now sold both pairs of the C807 I had. In favor of the Jamo C809.

The C807 and C809 sound nearly identical, with a bit more bass power in the C809. But the rest of the presentation is identical. So to help finance my new amps and preamps, I sold both pairs of the C807 and the C809 now stands in their place..
For what it's worth, here's a link of a compilation of some European trade rags that evaluated many types of audio equipment. They only put in this list the highest rated equipment:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.excelia-hifi.cz/top.html

You can see that both the Jamo 809's and 807'se rated very high. Also, they rated the 807's a little higher (with speakers that cost twice as much). Everyone's ears are different, but I'm love'n my 809's.

Best Regards,
Stan

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
European Speaker Ratings

Right away, I saw the European bias of not giving a lot of weight to speakers that can produce a lot of bass. There were the usual suspects at the top of the list, plus some I had never heard of. Some of the Jamo models rated have been out of production for many years, so this list might have been done originally in the early 2000's. It was also interesting that several of the S-Series were on the list as well.

manlystanley

manlystanley

Audioholic Intern
Right away, I saw the European bias of not giving a lot of weight to speakers that can produce a lot of bass. There were the usual suspects at the top of the list, plus some I had never heard of. Some of the Jamo models rated have been out of production for many years, so this list might have been done originally in the early 2000's. It was also interesting that several of the S-Series were on the list as well.
The list is a compilation of the highest rated equipment of what seems to be two European magazines. So, it can go back a few years. However, there are some current pieces of equipment as well: (for instance the Jamo: R-907).

Your comment concerning a different taste in bass, is very possible.

Best Regards,
Stan

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Definitely- I noticed a long time ago that each region had its own taste and if you think about the difference between US East Coast vs West Coast speakers, East coast tended to be more dry with a strong midrange but not particularly hot high end. Listen to a West Coast speaker and you'd notice that the highs are hot but not particularly extended. Midwest and other region speakers could be all over the map. European tended to be more neutral with an emphasis on good mids and highs but not a tremendously powerful low end. It wasn't necessarily lacking but it wasn't dominant. Japanese speakers were boom/crash and not usually particularly good. Yamaha and in certain cases, Sony, changed this.

M

MojoSA

Audiophyte
some info and assistance if you okes dont mind.

I have the following system in my HT/music room:

Onkyo TX NR708 amplifier for the C60 and C603's
Yamaha RS 700 amplifier for the C607's
2x Jamo sub300

My question is that does the yamaha amplifier get enough potential out of the 607's or am i totally underpowering them with the yamaha?

i tried to put a link to the specs of the yamaha but i have less than 5 posts so i cant post any links or pictures. but the model number is yamaha RS700.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

N

narasland

Audiophyte
Reviewing Jamo C607 with Marantz SR5007

I bought these Jamo C607 speakers in Europe with Marantz SR5007 receiver. I auditioned about 6 or 7 different speakers from brands like KEF, Monitor Audio, Cabasse, Wharfedale, Boston Accoustics, Q Accoustics, Dali and perhaps some others. They were all in the price range of $800-1200 a pair. I paid $1000 for these Jamos which included a 21% VAT.

The reason I bought them was because from all speakers in that price range I listened to these sounded rich and with excellent bass response. They are very musical indeed. I auditioned them with this previously mentioned Marantz receiver as my purpose for them was 20% movies and the rest is music. So I also bought some good cables and off I was.

A bit of my experience with them: When I brought them home and hooked them up I immediately felt something was off as they did not sound same as in store. In short they sounded stiff, thin and lacked timbre that I loved so much when I heard them. I spend hours on the internet reading about the brake-in or burn-in periods of various speakers. About 40 hours of listening I felt the sound was improving but I decided to start looking for a good sub as the bass was still weak. Luckily, I waited longer and the bass opened up much more later, perhaps about 100 hour into listening to them. I was happy, yet I could not understand why I was not being moved by the music coming from the speakers. The sound was so warm and soft it lacked excitement and spaciousness. I listen to a lot of electronic and world music so I really like all those sounds and vibrations percolating through space with longer extensions but these Jamos just weren't giving them to me. Later on I realized it is because they don't have a very good separation of all these tiny sounds and because of that they sound a bit condensed to me.

I schmoozed around more HIFI centers listening to more speakers and made one conclusion - all speakers in this price range are not perfect. They are either bright and spacious but lack richness and timber, or are rich with great timber and great bass response (like Jamos C607) but sound a bit congested.

I decided to try other receivers and brought home one of the Yamaha Avantage models. I immediately felt the sound was more powerful and more clear. The movies were much crisper and detailed. However there was something I liked about that warm musicality of Marantz. So I had two options, dump the receiver or dump the speakers. Luckily I found a solution where my older family member would buy the speakers from me so I decided to keep Marantz and get different speakers (had to step up in price considerably) that gave me more spacious and exciting sound for my electronic and world music.

So in short, these Jamos are great speakers for certain music but not all and they were much too warm and too soft for me, which perhaps is fine if you match them with a brighter receiver or amp. In short, I made a mistake by not trying other receivers with them and simply jumped for the sound that sounded best out of everything else I heard but ultimately did not sit with me after longer listening at home. I give them fours stars for richness of sound, bass, timbre but subtract one for lacking excitement and spaciousness. Obviously this is a very subjective opinion and others who have and love these speakers may think I am crazy but everyone's ear is different and this was my experience with them. Hope you find it useful.

salts2868

salts2868

Audiophyte
I have a pair of the C607 (Dark Apple finish) and a pair of the C603 bookshelves (also in the Dark Apple).

When I first got these speakers I didn't really give them a real good listen and optimize their placement and component chain. I pretty much designated them as family room speakers. And that was that.

I've been auditioning and searching for another pair of floorstanders and a pair pf bookshelf speakers.

But after auditioning the $2,800 Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands and loving them. I realized that I really hadn't given my Jamo C607's and C603 more of a fair shake. I hadn't taken the time to let them burn-in, hadn't spend some extensive time listening to them and really had not put them to the test.

Well, what I found is that the C607's are an outstanding speaker for just about any price range.

They have this wonderful way with dynamics, bass depth, punch and instrument timbre.

Everything is so sweet, smooth and natural with a slight touch of nice warmth.

When I audtitioned the Mozart Grands, I took some notes (as I usually do). Upon reading my notes I remembered the problem the Mozart Grands had with the India.Arie Acoustic Soul album (CD).

You see, the only true negative I came away with on the Mozart Grands, was that they failed miserably with strong, low bass material.

The song "Video" and " Brown Skin" (India.Arie's Acoustic Soul album) gave the Mozart Grands lots of problems. I'm being kind. Because as much as I love the Mozarts for all that they do so very well and so very sweetly; the first three songs destroyed the Mozarts.

The Mozarts crumbled into a convoluted mess of distortion, incoherency and rumble. I'm talking music here, not a movie (HT). Even my friend who was there for the audition (and she loved the Mozarts as much as I do), admits that my using the word "destroyed" is not an exaggeration or my being overly dramatic.

The Jamo C607's handled the song "Video" with no problems whatsoever. In fact they handled it with a control, coherence and stability that spoke of this song as being nothing more than routine.... standard performance ....a " wake me up when you have a real challenge " ....type of presentation.

They didn't break a sweat.

I have to say it again. These are Silly Good speakers!!!

Silly Good

Even more shocking, the comparatively diminutive (in both size and price) C603 bookshelves also have absolutely no problems with that India.Arie album/CD. None whatsoever. And they are equally sweet, smooth and musically satisfying.

But here's the thing. Every instrument, especially on the better recordings, mixes and masterings; has this absolutely wondeful, so natural...organic instrument sound to it. Bass guitars sound fantastic. The detail is just so, that you can visualize the finger picking and kind of bass riff the bass player is executing.

You can hear the guitars and visualize the picking technique or harmonics the guitarist is executing. It's nice detail without sounding hard, edgie, cold, dry....sterile or in your face.

It's a detail that captures the essence, tone and warmth of the instrument's body/wood or brass. Beautiful.

The pacing/timing.....groove....swing is outstanding! I love to boogie....and the C607...well, they convey the groove-factor and hit you with the boogie fever.

I am completely thrown and blown away by these two wonderful Jamo speakers!!!!

They are so well-balanced.....so well built and these speakers just sing of a quality design and quality materials.

What they have done is comepletely changed my mind and won my heart (and ears/brain). I truely have no desire to pursue the Mozart Grands, anymore.

Outside of the Mozarts first class real wood veneer cabinet/finish (and house sound); they have nothing on the Jamo C607. Nothing.

The C607's have a vinyl laminate finish which in my opinion is very nice for what it is. It looks rather convincing.

But the build quality is unbelievable!

The cabs are a heavy 50+ lbs each. Not 45 lbs. The cabs are as solid a cab as I have seen. This is a high-quality speaker by any definition. Especially in terms of sound and overall build.

And at their respective price points, that's mind-blowing. The C603 have similar traits as the C607, but the C607 overall does everything better and on a larger scale. But these C603 are one of the most impressive bookshelf speakers I have ever heard, at any price. Even more impressive because of their price and their proce compared to some of the "big boys" I have heard or auditioned.

When it comes to my own personal listening preferences, my tastes ....my ears; there's no need to buy a pair of $2,800.00 VA Mozart Grands.

I know some may laugh, or balk, or want to chastize me for what I have said.

I know some will refuse to believe a Jamo C607 or Jamo C603 could whoop the butt of the Mozart Grands. But that's okay.

Believe what you choose. Or simply go audition and listen for yourself.

Certainly these Jamo speaker's sound may not be everyone's preference or taste. Speakers, after all are a matter of very personal taste/preferences in sound and presentation.

The proof is in their sound.

Like I said......Silly Good!!!!

And I'm still trying to find the time to break-in and listen to the Jamo C803 bookshelves.

They are next.

Jamie, if you're reading this. I think you need to give your C607 and C603 a better and more extensive listen; before selling them.

Pull the C607 a bit more off the wall and give them a little more room to breathe. Also try those C603's as fronts for stereo listening. I think you'll be quite shocked ...pleasantly shocked at their musicality and excellence. Let me know when you're able to get your jaw off of the floor:D:D;)

Both of my good friends, who have been here a lot listening with me; over the last five days. Are currently trying to figure out a way to lift their jaws off the foor.:D

Music Used With The C607 and C603:

India.Arie- Acoustic Soul

Peter White- Glow

Eagles- Greatest Hits (DCC Remaster)

Ray Brown Trio- Soular Energy

The Diaz Trio and Julian Gray (Guitar)- Paganini: Music for Strings and Guitar

Benny Carter- Jazz Giant (Gold CD)

Gene Ammons- Gentle Jug

Dixie Chicks- Home

Dixie Chicks- Wide Open Spaces

Garth Brooks- (self -titled)

Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue

Marvelous 3- Hey! Album

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers- (self-titled)

Govi- Guitar Odyssey

Govi- Your Lingering Touch

Pearl Jam- No Code

The Godz- (self-titled)

UFO- Strangers In The Night

Pure Funk- Compilation of 70s Funk
I couldn't agree more. I have had a pair of the C603's with a Rotel RA 10 for a few years now and they never, ever fail to put a smile on my face. They can be delicate or authoritative whilst remaining immensely detailed and versatile. I give these speakers a HARD time and have had some big scares involving pressing the play button prior to adjusting the volume back down to a non-ridiculous level yet they are as crisp and clear as the day I bought them. They have well and truly earned my deep respect and I honestly can not see myself ever taking them out of my 2 channel set up.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I couldn't agree more. I have had a pair of the C603's with a Rotel RA 10 for a few years now and they never, ever fail to put a smile on my face. They can be delicate or authoritative whilst remaining immensely detailed and versatile. I give these speakers a HARD time and have had some big scares involving pressing the play button prior to adjusting the volume back down to a non-ridiculous level yet they are as crisp and clear as the day I bought them. They have well and truly earned my deep respect and I honestly can not see myself ever taking them out of my 2 channel set up.
Well You just got your Man card punched with 2000 points good for any one time post on any Thread of your choice.;) The last post before yours was almost 6 years ago. Your a true AH for sure you fit right in with the rest of us! Lol,. Nice find on a old Thread!:D

salts2868

salts2868

Audiophyte
Well You just got your Man card punched with 2000 points good for any one time post on any Thread of your choice.;) The last post before yours was almost 6 years ago. Your a true AH for sure you fit right in with the rest of us! Lol,. Nice find on a old Thread!:D
Thanks P2, Jamos can cop a little flack but the 603s' deserve a little more time in the sun. Especially after having to put up with me and my listening habits!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks P2, Jamos can cop a little flack but the 603s' deserve a little more time in the sun. Especially after having to put up with me and my listening habits!
You really like them, eh?

Jamos were suppose to be my first speakers (a pair that would belong to me only, my father had his stereo system and me and my brother shared one) back when I was 17. Worked half a year for them. I wanted to get a Denon 2ch stereo amp and a pair of floorstanding Jamos. Couldn't tell you which, I don't know what models were around back then. I can check it up. But I'm very feisty by nature and when the Denon that arrived turned out not to be the one I wanted, I didn't want to take it and I've sent it all to hell. (To be honest it wasn't big of a difference between those Denons, but I was fixed on one model I wanted and no other would do).

I used the money to get my drivers licence.:confused: What I didn't realise back then was how long it will take to be able to get another system since economy went to hell after the war.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis