Jamo C607 and Jamo C603...

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of the C607 (Dark Apple finish) and a pair of the C603 bookshelves (also in the Dark Apple).

When I first got these speakers I didn't really give them a real good listen and optimize their placement and component chain. I pretty much designated them as family room speakers. And that was that.

I've been auditioning and searching for another pair of floorstanders and a pair pf bookshelf speakers.

But after auditioning the $2,800 Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands and loving them. I realized that I really hadn't given my Jamo C607's and C603 more of a fair shake. I hadn't taken the time to let them burn-in, hadn't spend some extensive time listening to them and really had not put them to the test.

Well, what I found is that the C607's are an outstanding speaker for just about any price range.

They have this wonderful way with dynamics, bass depth, punch and instrument timbre.

Everything is so sweet, smooth and natural with a slight touch of nice warmth.

When I audtitioned the Mozart Grands, I took some notes (as I usually do). Upon reading my notes I remembered the problem the Mozart Grands had with the India.Arie Acoustic Soul album (CD).

You see, the only true negative I came away with on the Mozart Grands, was that they failed miserably with strong, low bass material.

The song "Video" and " Brown Skin" (India.Arie's Acoustic Soul album) gave the Mozart Grands lots of problems. I'm being kind. Because as much as I love the Mozarts for all that they do so very well and so very sweetly; the first three songs destroyed the Mozarts.

The Mozarts crumbled into a convoluted mess of distortion, incoherency and rumble. I'm talking music here, not a movie (HT). Even my friend who was there for the audition (and she loved the Mozarts as much as I do), admits that my using the word "destroyed" is not an exaggeration or my being overly dramatic.

The Jamo C607's handled the song "Video" with no problems whatsoever. In fact they handled it with a control, coherence and stability that spoke of this song as being nothing more than routine.... standard performance ....a " wake me up when you have a real challenge " ....type of presentation.

They didn't break a sweat.

I have to say it again. These are Silly Good speakers!!!

Silly Good

Even more shocking, the comparatively diminutive (in both size and price) C603 bookshelves also have absolutely no problems with that India.Arie album/CD. None whatsoever. And they are equally sweet, smooth and musically satisfying.

But here's the thing. Every instrument, especially on the better recordings, mixes and masterings; has this absolutely wondeful, so natural...organic instrument sound to it. Bass guitars sound fantastic. The detail is just so, that you can visualize the finger picking and kind of bass riff the bass player is executing.

You can hear the guitars and visualize the picking technique or harmonics the guitarist is executing. It's nice detail without sounding hard, edgie, cold, dry....sterile or in your face.

It's a detail that captures the essence, tone and warmth of the instrument's body/wood or brass. Beautiful.

The pacing/timing.....groove....swing is outstanding! I love to boogie....and the C607...well, they convey the groove-factor and hit you with the boogie fever.

I am completely thrown and blown away by these two wonderful Jamo speakers!!!!

They are so well-balanced.....so well built and these speakers just sing of a quality design and quality materials.

What they have done is comepletely changed my mind and won my heart (and ears/brain). I truely have no desire to pursue the Mozart Grands, anymore.

Outside of the Mozarts first class real wood veneer cabinet/finish (and house sound); they have nothing on the Jamo C607. Nothing.

The C607's have a vinyl laminate finish which in my opinion is very nice for what it is. It looks rather convincing.

But the build quality is unbelievable!

The cabs are a heavy 50+ lbs each. Not 45 lbs. The cabs are as solid a cab as I have seen. This is a high-quality speaker by any definition. Especially in terms of sound and overall build.

And at their respective price points, that's mind-blowing. The C603 have similar traits as the C607, but the C607 overall does everything better and on a larger scale. But these C603 are one of the most impressive bookshelf speakers I have ever heard, at any price. Even more impressive because of their price and their proce compared to some of the "big boys" I have heard or auditioned.

When it comes to my own personal listening preferences, my tastes ....my ears; there's no need to buy a pair of $2,800.00 VA Mozart Grands.

I know some may laugh, or balk, or want to chastize me for what I have said.

I know some will refuse to believe a Jamo C607 or Jamo C603 could whoop the butt of the Mozart Grands. But that's okay.

Believe what you choose. Or simply go audition and listen for yourself.

Certainly these Jamo speaker's sound may not be everyone's preference or taste. Speakers, after all are a matter of very personal taste/preferences in sound and presentation.

The proof is in their sound.

Like I said......Silly Good!!!!

And I'm still trying to find the time to break-in and listen to the Jamo C803 bookshelves.

They are next.

Jamie, if you're reading this. I think you need to give your C607 and C603 a better and more extensive listen; before selling them.

Pull the C607 a bit more off the wall and give them a little more room to breathe. Also try those C603's as fronts for stereo listening. I think you'll be quite shocked ...pleasantly shocked at their musicality and excellence. Let me know when you're able to get your jaw off of the floor:D:D;)

Both of my good friends, who have been here a lot listening with me; over the last five days. Are currently trying to figure out a way to lift their jaws off the foor.:D

Music Used With The C607 and C603:

India.Arie- Acoustic Soul

Peter White- Glow

Eagles- Greatest Hits (DCC Remaster)

Ray Brown Trio- Soular Energy

The Diaz Trio and Julian Gray (Guitar)- Paganini: Music for Strings and Guitar

Benny Carter- Jazz Giant (Gold CD)

Gene Ammons- Gentle Jug

Dixie Chicks- Home

Dixie Chicks- Wide Open Spaces

Garth Brooks- (self -titled)

Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue

Marvelous 3- Hey! Album

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers- (self-titled)

Govi- Guitar Odyssey

Govi- Your Lingering Touch

Pearl Jam- No Code

The Godz- (self-titled)

UFO- Strangers In The Night

Pure Funk- Compilation of 70s Funk

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
Agreed

I couldn't agree more with you. I am only selling them because I need some cash for other ventures. Thanks for your detailed review of the C 607. You are preachin to the choir there buddy.I know that they are amazing speakers for the cost. I am selling my system for 1600 and they are brand new. If you know anyone that wants them I have boxes and will ship.Enjoy your speakers.......:D

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Jamie, in terms of sound .......they are amazingly good speakers at just about any cost.

They have hammered several speakers, from the more popular (or should I say well known), much more expensive speaker manufactors. I could name six speakers, from six different more popular manufactors; that the C607 and C603 completely and thoroughly destroyed; in terms of stability, overall balance, cohesiveness and coherency. The Mozart Grands being just one of them.

The Jamo's destroy them in terms of sound and presentation. The only thing some of those other's have going for them is a real wood veneer finish. That's it.

By the way, the Dark Apple in my opinion for the C60 series, looks much better than the black finish you have. Which is weird, becasue the black finish on the C803 is really nice.

Good luck with your other ventures.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks very much. I am going to give them another couple of weeks and if they don't sell I will keep and enjoy them. Thanks again for your review of the Concert series Jamo's.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice review TjMV3.:) You are making me feel bad about not getting around to writing anything up myself.:rolleyes: Good to hear you found what you liked right in your own home and saved yourself a chunk of change.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Hi ADK.

Thank you to you and Jamie.

How are those Evo2 50's going for you?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I am enjoying them.

This past weekend I had to do a couple of firmware upgrades on my processor so I had to re-enter all of my settings and re-run Audessey configuration.

Something is not quite right so I still have tweaking to do. I cannot explain it except to say it was "fuller" before the rerun. I took more positions this time so I may go back and just do the 3 main positions and see what happens.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I also had a "fuller" sound when I ran 3 positions vs. when I ran 6. Something weird is going on.
I am enjoying them.

This past weekend I had to do a couple of firmware upgrades on my processor so I had to re-enter all of my settings and re-run Audessey configuration.

Something is not quite right so I still have tweaking to do. I cannot explain it except to say it was "fuller" before the rerun. I took more positions this time so I may go back and just do the 3 main positions and see what happens.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Looks like the firmware may have a bug or two. Or maybe the firmware update does something to the levels. Maybe knocks them into some kind of default setting...or something. Contact the manufactor and let them know.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Looks like the firmware may have a bug or two. Or maybe the firmware update does something to the levels. Maybe knocks them into some kind of default setting...or something. Contact the manufactor and let them know.
Thanks for the thoughts. The firmware did not touch Audessey it was updates to the DSP's (for the dts bomb) and another that was for udates to the REON and some misc audio drop issues. I have also done some major room renovations sinse the first setup.

C

chipped

Enthusiast
Hello,

Nice review, I have been searching alot to find a good quality review of the C607's. Trouble is, I cant find anywhere to listen to them myself (I live in, Australia).

How are they with with music that relies on fast, hard hitting and mid range bass like House music?

They would also he used for Rap and R'n'B but mostly movies and games.

Im looking at the C607's as fronts and rears, C60 centre and a SUB 550 subwoofer.

If you have heard the C60 and SUB 550 before your opinion would be most valuable to me :)

Thanks

Swerve

Swerve

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

Nice review, I have been searching alot to find a good quality review of the C607's. Trouble is, I cant find anywhere to listen to them myself (I live in, Australia).

How are they with with music that relies on fast, hard hitting and mid range bass like House music?

They would also he used for Rap and R'n'B but mostly movies and games.

Im looking at the C607's as fronts and rears, C60 centre and a SUB 550 subwoofer.

If you have heard the C60 and SUB 550 before your opinion would be most valuable to me :)

Thanks
That's unfortunate that you can't audition them. I first heard mine with house music being played on them and that's what caught my ear. The music seemed to come alive especially with the challenge of this genre of music. It was very crisp and clean sounding even at high levels. I was instantly hooked and after spending a few days listenening to them and others with a few different genres of music, I had to buy the C607s. I am now planning to pick up the matching C60 center and SUB300 sub. I heard the SUB300 and I can't imagine needing more than that for a typical living room. I'd say that C607s would be overkill for rears in most cases though. Their C603 bookshelves were quite good

Swerve

Swerve

Junior Audioholic
By the way, the Dark Apple in my opinion for the C60 series, looks much better than the black finish you have. Which is weird, becasue the black finish on the C803 is really nice.
Agreed. I bought bought black ones only because the DA version would have clashed with everything. If I were starting from scratch, I would have been tempted to have purchased them in DA and matched everything else to them!

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Chipped, I have not heard any of the subwoofers, yet. So I don't know how they sound or rank compared to others.

I don't even use a sub with the C607 in the family room music/HT system. Just the pair of c607, pair of c603 and C60 Center Channel.

Sounds great without a sub.

And while I don't listen to house music or Rap, I can tell you that India.Arie's music and 70's heavy funk music sounds absolutely fanastic through the C607.

I beleive you'll be quite satisfied .......more than satisfied. I think you will love them.

Remember, the C607 can pump out very impressive, low and heavy bass.

They are rated down to 30hz. How that translates into bass response in your specific room, I don't know. But I can tell you that when I ran the tone sweep on my Ayre Acoustics " Irrational, But Efficacious! " CD; they reached down very low. Very impressive.

Please do come back and share your thoughts of the C607 with us, here in this thread. I'm very interested in hearing your (and anyone's) experiences and opinions regarding these Jamo speakers.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Agreed. I bought bought black ones only because the DA version would have clashed with everything. If I were starting from scratch, I would have been tempted to have purchased them in DA and matched everything else to them!

Yeah, I certainly can understand that.

But maybe it is the quality of the pictures of the black finish, that is misleading. That black finish probably looks better in person, than in pictures.

Last edited:
Swerve

Swerve

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I certainly can understand that.

But maybe it is the quality of the pictures of the black finish, that is misleading. That black finish probably looks better in person, than in pictures.
Yes, the pictures on their site show a reflection in the grain which I suppose is an attempt to illustrate their texture. In person, they do have that texture, but not that reflection. They look like most 'black ash' finished speakers.

I still love the Dark Apple finish though and moreso than black.

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
Jamo C607

Let me clarify one point on the dark apple finish, it is not some cheap color impregnated thing you find on cheap American made wood colored speakers. This is a photo finished vinyl that is so good you need a excellent close vision (or magnifying glass) to even decide if it is real or not. It isn't necessarily cheaper to use this finish, but the thin wood veneers are soft and less durable. Longevity is the reason they use this type of finish, and to this day my wife does not know this finish isn't wood veneer.

TjMV3 is being modest with his comparisons, as the C607 may be the best speaker in the world at the price Jamo charges. He also brought up a comment about the deepness of the bass and the use of a subwoofer, and it is absolutely true. For the best use of subwoofers, you need the bass to naturally roll off at around 40 Hz to stop a frequency output bump in the 30-40 Hz range. The lower the bass of the speaker the more difficult it is to blend the subwoofer for both music and movie. You really don't want to limit the output of the C607 as that is the beauty of the speaker's ability to go so low.

The tweeter technology (DTT) puts the Jamo tweeters right there with the best dome tweeters made. The decoupled design noticeably eliminates distortion and allow the highs to sound more natural and detailed than many other quality dome tweeters.

If you have the finances to buy a pair of C607's floor standing speakers, you won't find a speaker with this quality from any other maker.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It isn't necessarily cheaper to use this finish, but the thin wood veneers are soft and less durable. Longevity is the reason they use this type of finish, and to this day my wife does not know this finish isn't wood veneer.
FWIW, the answer we got from the head of US operations to "Why don't you use real wood veneer anymore?" was "We can't afford to use that and offer the speakers at the prices we want".

OTOH, water sitting on this vinyl won't damage it, like real wood.

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
FWIW, the answer we got from the head of US operations to "Why don't you use real wood veneer anymore?" was "We can't afford to use that and offer the speakers at the prices we want".

OTOH, water sitting on this vinyl won't damage it, like real wood.
Do you have a name of the person you talked to? Since I've talked to Jamo on a regular basis, this cost of wood veneer never came up in any of the discussions. It seems the information being dispersed by the Jamo folks is varying at best.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you have a name of the person you talked to? Since I've talked to Jamo on a regular basis, this cost of wood veneer never came up in any of the discussions. It seems the information being dispersed by the Jamo folks is varying at best.
He's no longer there- almost everyone else from the Chicago area office quit, rather than move to Indy. This was when they first started using vinyl, not recently. If it was after '87 or '88, I would be surprised. Once everything went to vinyl, the only model that had real wood was the Oriel. I hated to see them sold, personally. It wasn't a need for money- they were #3 in the world, in terms of how many finished speakers they produced and they were definitely profitable, or nobody would have wanted to buy them. When the VP told me that all of the outstanding stock had been put in a holding company, my first thought was that they were being sold and I told him that. He said, "You never know". The founders wanted to retire and that was the only way they could sell their stock, since it was a privately held company.

How long have you been associated with Jamo?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis