Is the Emotiva UPA-7 a good amp to purchase?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That will bring it down to just below bestbuy.ca's level, that is, C$999X0.77 = US$769.
D&M AVRs and AVPs pre-outs are good, should have no trouble driving 200/300 W power amps with 27 dB gain or more. The Monolith amps have 28 dB gain, the UPA has 32 dB gain.
At best buy here they are still selling it for 1400 to 1500. Gotta love Bjorn's!
Hey PENG I'm sure your noticing the dilemma the guys are helping me with. My surrounds are too high. But next year I plan when I buy the SVS ultra towers to use the SVS prime towers as my surrounds. Would the denon 4400 work well just being a 7.2 channel for now till I upgrade those speakers next year and then go to atmos? Because that's a really good price I don't know if I should pass it up. Any input appreciated

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is a substantial savings and most years the difference between the new model and "last year's" doesn't mean much!
"most" is the key word. There are no significant changes between the X4300H and X4500H, the gap widened only slightly even if the X4200W is included. As an example, when the X4200W was launched, I would not have opted for the deeply discounted X4100W. This kind of scenario probably would repeat itself every 2 to 3 years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At best buy here they are still selling it for 1400 to 1500. Gotta love Bjorn's!
Hey PENG I'm sure your noticing the dilemma the guys are helping me with. My surrounds are too high. But next year I plan when I buy the SVS ultra towers to use the SVS prime towers as my surrounds. Would the denon 4400 work well just being a 7.2 channel for now till I upgrade those speakers next year and then go to atmos? Because that's a really good price I don't know if I should pass it up. Any input appreciated
I think you will enjoy the 4400 doing 7.1 because it has Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT and you can have more control if you buy the $20 Editor App. I am saying this because I think you prefer more accurate/flatter bass response, as that's the effect you are likely getting after adding the UPA-7 without level matching.

It really depends on the timing, because if you are not going to do Atmos for another year, then you can wait for similar deals on the AVR-X4500H, assuming the X4600H won't add anything significant.

Surrounds can be as high as 2 ft above ears level but yours are really too high. Angling down helps, but only to a point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You might also look at the 3400 which is going for $600US. It is close in features. I think the most obvious difference is 7 vs 9 channels of amplification!
And 11 channels of processing
Not sure if he wants to go there though...

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
You got a pretty killer setup already. Go blow that cash at a strip club and have some real fun instead.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You got a pretty killer setup already. Go blow that cash at a strip club and have some real fun instead.
Sir yes sir! UNLIMITED POWEEER!!!! What a second! Your trying to get me away from my PB 4000's arent you? o_O

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think you will enjoy the 4400 doing 7.1 because it has Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT and you can have more control if you buy the $20 Editor App. I am saying this because I think you prefer more accurate/flatter bass response, as that's the effect you are likely getting after adding the UPA-7 without level matching.

It really depends on the timing, because if you are not going to do Atmos for another year, then you can wait for similar deals on the AVR-X4500H, assuming the X4600H won't add anything significant.

Surrounds can be as high as 2 ft above ears level but yours are really too high. Angling down helps, but only to a point.
Yeah I know they are way too high I hate not having a dedicated theater room but that's the breaks. There is no way I can move them lower with those arched walls either. That's why after I buy the ultra's towers for the front I'm planning on moving the prime towers to my surrounds and just buying one more of those prime towers for all 4 channels. It's actually cheaper to buy one more instead of 4 new surrounds. Man 3 SVS ultra towers with 4 prime surround towers as surrounds with 4 RSL C34E's as my atmos ceiling speakers is going to be friggin epic I can't wait for that day to get here! Someday!!!! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Meh if I pull the trigger I pull the trigger on the 4400H. As you mentioned there really isn't much difference between the 4400 and the 4500 anyway. I think that's what I'm going to do! Snag that then I'm done except for the Ultra Towers and a new TV which will all be next year! Thanks PENG appreciate you!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s hard for me to tell from the angles but it looks like the locations aren’t where I would like em. I’d fill the holes with new Sheetrock and put the speakers where they should go. But MAYBE sits the camera angle...

The front ceilings are 4 feet in front of my listening spot the back ceilings the same distance they are spread apart the same distance as my left and rights at 12 feet do you think they'll work the back ceilings are kindoff close by those surrounds but they already came with the house so I didn't get a choice where I would have put them. Luckily the RSL C34E's fit those holes So at least I can upgrade them. So do you think they're workable? Any suggestions?
NOW, based on the numbers, it seems they’re closer to where they might work. Better pics?(or better help desk? Lol)

Although I will need go build or purchase platforms for the prime towers one final question then how high up do I need to elevate those prime towers? The tweeter is about 33 inches high my couches are about 41 inches high. Is it just the tweeter that need to be higher or do I need the woofers firing over the couches as well?
You’ll want definitely have them over the seats. The actual height will likely be determined my the couch height. The spec is for “mains tweeter height X 1.25) but I think somewhere around H1x1.55 is ok. Especially if you have multiple listeners, you’ll want to have the tweeters NOT blocked by people’s heads. Here’s a little visual aid.

The problem is mine aren't 5 feet up they are 7 feet up pretty darn high
That’s probably a good height with some angle down and forward for a 7.2 ch system but just too high for Atmos.
I'm thinking probably not I bet they just put them in they're instead of using floor standard they git my attention when I bought the house cus I was like I might be able to use these! :)
GUARANTEED they just wanted something for out of the way.
That's the other reason I love the C34E's they have a 15 degree angle towards the listener and the tweeter is adjustable to a degree that should help a lot when it's time to put them up there
the aimable tweeters are pretty much useless, especially if they’re 14’ off the ground. The 15deg baffle will be much more useful, and one of the reasons I bought them. Also Joe Rodgers entertained all of my questions from super geometric diagrams I made to BS’ing about my LR and moving to California. The guy is great.
Also. The 4400 will definitely run your 7.2ch system in the meantime. BUT it won’t use PLIIx anymore. I don’t like PLIIx so I don’t care, but it might be a problem for you. Dsu is spectacular but your layout is not Atmos so I don’t have any predictions on what it would do. Just don’t upmix I guess.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry Drunkpenguin after talking with the others I'm gonna hit up that reciever I'm only gonna go to the strip clubs when you and the other fellas ever are swinging through San Antonio Texas! Lol Until then I'm gonna buy a stripper pole and I'm gonna strip dance!.... FOR MY PB 4000's!!!! OH YEEEAAHH! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Been to san antonio a couple times. Cool city actually. We were there last year on the way to the Gulf.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
D
It’s hard for me to tell from the angles but it looks like the locations aren’t where I would like em. I’d fill the holes with new Sheetrock and put the speakers where they should go. But MAYBE sits the camera angle...

NOW, based on the numbers, it seems they’re closer to where they might work. Better pics?(or better help desk? Lol)

You’ll want definitely have them over the seats. The actual height will likely be determined my the couch height. The spec is for “mains tweeter height X 1.25) but I think somewhere around H1x1.55 is ok. Especially if you have multiple listeners, you’ll want to have the tweeters NOT blocked by people’s heads. Here’s a little visual aid.

That’s probably a good height with some angle down and forward for a 7.2 ch system but just too high for Atmos.

the aimable tweeters are pretty much useless, especially if they’re 14’ off the ground. The 15deg baffle will be much more useful, and one of the reasons I bought them. Also Joe Rodgers entertained all of my questions from super geometric diagrams I made to BS’ing about my LR and moving to California. The guy is great.
Also. The 4400 will definitely run your 7.2ch system in the meantime. BUT it won’t use PLIIx anymore. I don’t like PLIIx so I don’t care, but it might be a problem for you. Dsu is spectacular but your layout is not Atmos so I don’t have any predictions on what it would do. Just don’t upmix I guess.
Damn sheetrocking is expensive I'd rather cut new holes and put the new ones in where they need to go leave the old ones just sitting there. So put the speakers directly over you on the couch? You gotta remember I'm still a noob at some of this. When I'm sitting on that couch. How many feet forward from my head for the front ceilings and how many feet back from my head for the back ceilings? Gotta remember the simpler for a noob the better Lol. The same question for the prime towers how many feet or inches up off the floor should they go? I kind off understood the picture but it was a little confusing. Also from what I can see the surrounds can go directly to your sides or a little back behind you by a foot or 2 am I correct? Sorry for the need for clarification I'm still learning and don't want to misunderstand what your showing me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
D

Been to san antonio a couple times. Cool city actually. We were there last year on the way to the Gulf.
Yeah it's a great place I love it here. Next time you guys swing through PM me. Well all have some fun.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I dont like PLIIx either I'm going to go do precise measurements of that ceiling setup so you can have a better idea if they'll work or not

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m multitasking now so no complete thoughts from me lol...

Ok...
So I marked where it might be feasible to use some decent in wall speakers. Although the spots might be a little high you get the idea.
Then I realized the window is gonna be a problem. So what if you just lowered the surrounds and put them on stands? Then just use the primes on the SVS trade up program. I’m definitely for towers all around but...
I’ll be back.......

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
He just made those surround mounts. Hes gonna be sad if he has to take em down.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
And 11 channels of processing
Not sure if he wants to go there though...
Okay hopefully better pics with precise (hopefully measurements)
The front heights are 5 feet from the couches the backs are 4 feet
The front towers 12 feet apart 12 feet from the sitting posiroom.
Back surrounds 5 feet from listening position.
Ceilings are actually 10 ft high. Thought my agent said 14 damn I shouldve measured before.
The pics were taken from where Audyssey dialed in the best spot at ear level. They may look weird but it was hard to angle the phone just right
20181008_201509.jpg
20181008_201650.jpg
20181008_201746.jpg
20181008_201847.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First picture is the ceiling rights FrontH1 RearH2
Second picture is ceiling lefts FrontH1 Rear H2
3rd is the Front H1Left and Front H2Right
4th is RH2 Right and RH2 left. Hope that helps better

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
poop man. Since theyre there id be using em. If they sound to bright find another speaker that fits the hole. But atmos is just ocasional sound effects so its not they are on all the time. You could always try them and move surrounds later if needed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m multitasking now so no complete thoughts from me lol...

Ok...
So I marked where it might be feasible to use some decent in wall speakers. Although the spots might be a little high you get the idea.
Then I realized the window is gonna be a problem. So what if you just lowered the surrounds and put them on stands? Then just use the primes on the SVS trade up program. I’m definitely for towers all around but...
I’ll be back.......
Hey take your time I just appreciate everything you've already done for me. That picture explains it a lot better to my noob self. I would use stands because of the window just not with those speakers. They're sealed speakers which roll off at 100hz. What's the point of dual six inch driver surrounds that over extend if you set the crossovers at 80 Hz? I need a ported design that can move some air in that open open space. I have 2 options go with the CG25's when RSL starts selling them at the end of the year on stands which I'm down for. Or use the primes since I already have them when I get the ultra Towers. The RSL's will cost a helluva lot more for 4 then one more Prime Tower. Plus factor in the cost of stands. My sales rep at Bjorn's will give me a much better deal on the ultra's if I pay in cash then what I would get off of trading up the primes. So it wouldn't hurt to keep them.
That's why I'm leaning towards the towers. Those surrounds have limits that I found when you guys helped with the drivers overextending. I want surrounds with no limits. And I'll flip those Surrounds I have now with they're stands to also offset cost.
Once again really appreciate your time explaining everything I'm sure you got other stuff going on hit me up if you got any more ideas or knowledge when your free. Thanks again my friend

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis