Is the Emotiva UPA-7 a good amp to purchase?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Phone app should work if you can find one that has the "C" weighting and the slow option. Accurate or not won't matter too much as you are simply try to match.. It does need to be within 1 dB, 0.5 dB is of course better.

Or simply dial the subwoofer and surround channels up by 3 dB and see if you still like it. From you original review post, it is possible that you may actually prefer the effects of the sub being a few dB lower than the LCR.

In my experience, Audyssey, even XT32 is not able to integrate bass capable towers such as yours with subwoofers. It gets you in the ball park, but you need to experiment different crossover points to find one that integrates the best, that is, with minimum dips and bumps. For the prime towers, I would start with 80 Hz, and then up, but not down, to prevent them from messing with the sub(s).
I'm gonna try both getting a meter because I want to learn and dialing the surrounds and subs up up by 3db. When Ed from SVS helped me dial them in we were level matched at -4 AVR -13 on the PB's he had me try running them hot up to -10 on the PB's If I go up to -7 on the PB's and keep the AVR at -4 that won't be too hard on the subs or they're amps will it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Phone app should work if you can find one that has the "C" weighting and the slow option. Accurate or not won't matter too much as you are simply try to match.. It does need to be within 1 dB, 0.5 dB is of course better.

Or simply dial the subwoofer and surround channels up by 3 dB and see if you still like it. From you original review post, it is possible that you may actually prefer the effects of the sub being a few dB lower than the LCR.

In my experience, Audyssey, even XT32 is not able to integrate bass capable towers such as yours with subwoofers. It gets you in the ball park, but you need to experiment different crossover points to find one that integrates the best, that is, with minimum dips and bumps. For the prime towers, I would start with 80 Hz, and then up, but not down, to prevent them from messing with the sub(s).
Keeping them they're will be a matter of preference but I just want to make sure I'm not overrunning the amps I'm probably just being overly cautious. Can't hurt to ask tho

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Keeping them they're will be a matter of preference but I just want to make sure I'm not overrunning the amps I'm probably just being overly cautious. Can't hurt to ask tho
Excellent point! You can reduce the LCR by 3 dB and get the same effect. That way, you will still be at reference level with volume set to 82. I never worry about overrunning the amps or over driving the speakers, because I never listen to levels any where near reference, and my room is medium small. Volume -10 will be loud for me, typically -20 to -17 is my comfort zone, but I do engage DEQ, obviously.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent point! You can reduce the LCR by 3 dB and get the same effect. That way, you will still be at reference level with volume set to 82. I never worry about overrunning the amps or over driving the speakers, because I never listen to levels any where near reference, and my room is medium small. Volume -10 will be loud for me, typically -20 to -17 is my comfort zone, but I do engage DEQ, obviously.
Hey PENG is this the denon you were talking about? I can get it from Bjorn's for $750 right now.
20181008_161946.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They'll take another $50 off just asking for your opinion comes with full warranty

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey PENG is this the denon you were talking about? I can get it from Bjorn's for $750 right now. View attachment 26085
Yes, that is the same AVR that PENG recently bought.
Seems like a very good price! $900US is what they have been going for here (once the 4500 was released ... which is why they are being discounted)!
Most of us like to buy AVR's right after these discounts kick-in. It is a substantial savings and most years the difference between the new model and "last year's" doesn't mean much!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I got mine for 599. But I had to yell at Denon to make it happen. :cool:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, that is the same AVR that PENG recently bought.
Seems like a very good price! $900US is what they have been going for here (once the 4500 was released ... which is why they are being discounted)!
Most of us like to buy AVR's right after these discounts kick-in. It is a substantial savings and most years the difference between the new model and "last year's" doesn't mean much!
Man I don't know if I can turn that price down. I might just have to go for it I need to upgrade anyways. If you and PENG think that's a solid AV that's gonna last me for a couple years I might just have to go for it. Appreciate the help!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Its a great receiver at your price too! Just get it and drink the kool aid with the rest of us. (i love spending other peoples money)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm gonna try both getting a meter because I want to learn and dialing the surrounds and subs up up by 3db. When Ed from SVS helped me dial them in we were level matched at -4 AVR -13 on the PB's he had me try running them hot up to -10 on the PB's If I go up to -7 on the PB's and keep the AVR at -4 that won't be too hard on the subs or they're amps will it?
That won’t be hard on them. Those subs have crazy protections built in.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That won’t be hard on them. Those subs have crazy protections built in.
Hey thanks once I leveled everything out it still sounded best at the -4 AVR -10 subs I think I got lucky when SVS helped me set an up we bumped them up quite a bit I like em running a little hot anyway so they were probably were they needed to be anyway.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
There has to be a back-story here!
Pray tell! (as my grandmother used to say)
I described it in detail on here somewhere... long story short, i bought the 3400 for 599. At the time Denons website listed it as supporting 11 channels which it does not. I found this out after I had it hooked up. I emailed them and told them they were false advertising, then trash talked them on AVS, then told them i was returning it and buying from one of their competitors. One of their higher ups got a hold of me and apologized for the web site being wrong and offered to trade me up to the 4400 for free. I said hells yah!

It was very generous on their part, so I will be a Denon customer for a long time.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Uh oh. Danzilla will have Atmos before I do! LOL :)
Yep and my C34E's just came in too! Lol. I missed the drop off so I'm going to have FedEx hold em and I'll pick em up in the morning.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I described it in detail on here somewhere... long story short, i bought the 3400 for 599. At the time Denons website listed it as supporting 11 channels which it does not. I found this out after I had it hooked up. I emailed them and told them they were false advertising, then trash talked them on AVS, then told them i was returning it and buying from one of their competitors. One of their higher ups got a hold of me and apologized for the web site being wrong and offered to trade me up to the 4400 for free. I said hells yah!

It was very generous on their part, so I will be a Denon customer for a long time.
Okay......... now you've given me some ideas for how I can trade up to the 8500 Lol. So how do you like it? If it's good I probably won't be getting anything else for quiet some time so I just want to make sure it will keep me happy for a couple years.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey thanks once I leveled everything out it still sounded best at the -4 AVR -10 subs I think I got lucky when SVS helped me set an up we bumped them up quite a bit I like em running a little hot anyway so they were probably were they needed to be anyway.
I think most of run a little hot. 2-5db probably? Some maybe more.

Yep and my C34E's just came in too! Lol. I missed the drop off so I'm going to have FedEx hold em and I'll pick em up in the morning.
How tall are your ceilings again? You might need to lower your surrounds. Or maybe it’s just your rear surrounds? I could go dig through your other thread...
Btw, congrats on the C34e’s. I’d pull the trigger on the 4400. They won’t last forever. Looks like it’s in store only too. No love...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Its a great receiver at your price too! Just get it and drink the kool aid with the rest of us. (i love spending other peoples money)
Also how good is the preamp outputs on it? I plan to buy a beefier three channel amp for the Front 3 towers next year. Will the preouts drive amps no problemo? Probably a stupid question if you and PENG like it it's gotta be solid all the way around

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis