Is the Emotiva UPA-7 a good amp to purchase?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I think you'll be fine. I run 2 svs subs on 1 circuit and 1000 watt amp plus AVR plus PJ on another circuit without issues and mine are 15amp.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think you'll be fine. I run 2 svs subs on 1 circuit and 1000 watt amp plus AVR plus PJ on another circuit without issues and mine are 15amp.
Yeah I completely agree I'm just being a little paranoid

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well shucks home depot is a bust I'm gonna try Wally World cuz Best buy is closed but I bet my best bet will be Altex tho so if there's no luck I'll hit them in the morning. The fella offered to bring me the right cord tommorow Is hate to make him drive over here after work but if ya gotta do it ya gotta do what you gotta do

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Peng I have a question for you I put in 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for each PB 4000. SVS told me I could run both of them on one of those no problem. I have each sub plugged into one each so could I run the sub and the amp on that 20amp circuit you think? If I could run both subs on one 20amp circuit I'm assuming it will handle the sub and amp no problem. What do you think?
In that case I would follow SVS's recommendations and put both sub on the same dedicated 20A outlet. By "that" amp if you meant the UPA-7, just plug it into a regular 15 A outlet. That thing is heavy but based on the specs the transformer isn't that big, they just made it heavy using tons of steel.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Auuuuugh I can't believe this guy gave me the wrong cord I thought I could fine a two cord AC cord somewhere but I've completely struck out. Is there any chance a standard 3 prong would work in this bad boy. Just don't use the third prong? Here's what the connection looks like?
20181002_122537.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry not prongs but third slot it has two prongs in it as you can see. Any help here would be greatly appreciated guys

J

Just Mark

Audiophyte
Three prong will work fine. The third prong is ground and the Amp is not requiring ground so you just have an extra wire in the cable is all. It may very well have come with a three prong as they are usually found in higher current ratings.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Ask the guy to mail it to you, then use something else temporarilly.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ask the guy to mail it to you, then use something else temporarilly.
Trying that he said he would bring it today and it's clear he doesn't want to do that so I like your suggestion otherwise I'm gonna get pissed and stuff like this is just not worth it getting pissed over. Life's too short I appreciate the great idea

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Three prong will work fine. The third prong is ground and the Amp is not requiring ground so you just have an extra wire in the cable is all. It may very well have come with a three prong as they are usually found in higher current ratings.
Yeah I got a matching but longer cord for my sub and it's 14 gauge so I'd like to use that old cord if I can get away with it. 14 gauge power cord will be a little overkill on that amp but it can't hurt. So basically what I hear you saying is since the amp has two prongs for the cord to plug into it doesn't require a ground but a power cord with three holes will work because it will just run the power and not utilize the ground wire. Sounds good to me I'm gonna try it if I blow myself up I'll send you guys a picture! :p

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Its just like some devices you plug into your wall only have 2 prongs right? Thats cause they dont need the ground. So like they said you should be fine.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I got a matching but longer cord for my sub and it's 14 gauge so I'd like to use that old cord if I can get away with it. 14 gauge power cord will be a little overkill on that amp but it can't hurt. So basically what I hear you saying is since the amp has two prongs for the cord to plug into it doesn't require a ground but a power cord with three holes will work because it will just run the power and not utilize the ground wire. Sounds good to me I'm gonna try it if I blow myself up I'll send you guys a picture! :p
14 Gauge is the right size for that amp. No issue with 3 prong as others mentioned, because that end is female.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well thanks to you guys I'm gonna start hooking it up! I'm gonna listen to my system as is one last time and then with to see if they're are differences. I'll get back to you guys when I'm all done thanks for all the help guys!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis